U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM

438 posts, read 482,959 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people say "you're way more likely to have seomthing bad happen to YOU if you have a gun than dont have one, even in confrontations". What do they mean by that and how do they know this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM

44,884 posts, read 30,218,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I hear a lot of people say "you're way more likely to have seomthing bad happen to YOU if you have a gun than dont have one, even in confrontations". What do they mean by that and how do they know this?
What too many of them mean is that if you are unarmed you are at the mercy of an armed person and they want that to be the case when the government tries to push all of us into the hole that many of them are in now. In confrontation mode the armed man has a big advantage and that is how those who say those things think it should be.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 AM

61,305 posts, read 79,942,948 times
the reason she is not raped and i am not dead or badly maimed from beating is firearms. u can stop preaching disarm u are safe and home now and if anything happens all u gota do is call the cops,
u can stop that lecture anytime
thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM

9,792 posts, read 10,643,831 times
Quote:
How they know this is because hospitals keep records. The police do too. A comparison of the two is vital to coming to an unbiased conclusion. In the end we know that more guns are used for the purpose of suicide than homicide. We know that guns are used offensively much more than they are used defensively. We know that of the myriad bad things that can happen to a decent, law abiding American, guns figure very low in the overall total. Its not everyday I get to spot a gun debate early and kill it before it goes to 12 pages of NRA nonsense.

H

Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM

10,002 posts, read 9,538,081 times
Quote:
It means that often people who carry guns are not willing to shoot someone with them and as such will get disarmed and be in deep s***

Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM

5,815 posts, read 4,760,946 times
Default people that say guns are bad...

To a liberal who fears inanimate objects as being evil, it means trampling
the bill of rights to assuage their fears, and prevent or at least hinder the
people, in their ability to lawfully keep and bear arms.

To a person who believes in the right to keep and bear arms, it's like having
a car, and only operating it when you have all your faculties. The car does
not kill, the driver kills.

I know over 100 people who own guns, and Ted Kennedy's car killed more
people than all those guns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gun control-thCADD4VJZ.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	104708

Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM

19,734 posts, read 13,555,203 times
Quote:

Guns aren't bad, it's the idiots holding them that are.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM

17,286 posts, read 19,716,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
we know that more guns are used for the purpose of suicide than homicide.
This is the source of that particular tidbit of propaganda.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM

9,792 posts, read 10,643,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Guns aren't bad, it's the idiots holding them that are.
Thanks, I couldn't have said it better myself...

Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM

223 posts, read 219,510 times
Well, just look at the facts.
Fact. About 30,000 people are killed each year in the US with firearms.
Fact. About 30 people are killed each year in the UK by firearms.
We have about five times as many people as the UK which would equate to 150 firearm deaths for them if they had the same population as ours.
30,000-150=28,500 deaths that we can attribute to our gun laws.
Heck, 100 people die each year in the US while cleaning a firearm.
Accidental Shooting | TheSurvivorsClub.org
Plus, these are only deaths. How many more people are mamed and injured each year by firearms?

The gun advocates position is you need a gun to protect yourself from people with guns. With that logic why not hand out nukes to protect against people with nukes.

When the constitution was written the average gun took minutes to load and was a one shot musket or pistol. Revolutionary War Muskets
Not exactly a gloc or magnum. I say that if we allow firearms then they should be the firearms that were around when the constitution was written. I doubt our founders would have allowed for our current state of firearm affairs if they saw what damage they continually cause to our people.

PS Are law enforcement officers usually well trained and supervised compared to the average citizen? Of course they are and yet they still make mistakes and injure or kill hundreds of people every year with guns. So if the average police man can make a mistake, even if they should have guns, then how perfect can we possibly excpect the average citizen to be?

Last edited by elfstorage; 12-11-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies