Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
That is a cop-out. Even if pencils had no function other than killing people, they aren't as lethal, and therefore as immoral, as guns.

I wonder how many people think it would be morally acceptable to keep an armed nuclear bomb in the garage. The only difference between it and a gun is the number of people it is designed to kill.

Where do you get this bunk with morals and guns? What in the hell does owning a gun for protection have to do with my morals? My gun has been in the house for over twenty five years and it hasn't killed any of us . I probably have not touched it for the last five years other than move it when small children visit. It is like an insurance policy. If I ever have the need it is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
That is a cop-out. Even if pencils had no function other than killing people, they aren't as lethal, and therefore as immoral, as guns.

I wonder how many people think it would be morally acceptable to keep an armed nuclear bomb in the garage. The only difference between it and a gun is the number of people it is designed to kill.
oh please

I was taught very well, how to kill with many, many objects

btw I can also maim(wound) with a gun and NOT kill

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Quote:
Nothing really to be said. The very possession of something that has no purpose other than to kill is immoral. You can rationalize all you like, but guns are basically for killing. Even the idea of keeping something that kills for "self defense" is immoral. One has the right to defend oneself, but not with lethal force.

Of course I really don't think you've thought that through. I have never met a gun owner who was really willing to examine themselves and there motives. The axiom on which the ownership of lethal weapons is rendered immoral is a simple one -- in the Western tradition, "Thou shalt not kill." In other traditions it is that we must have deep compassion for all sentient beings.
This is a real fallacy in thought.... You are facing someone who doesn't abide by these rules and will kill you. They have already shown the will to break in and invade your home or business.

You most certainly have a right to kill.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
No one. You missed the point of my post. I was taught to use guns, but also to respect them. I would smack you though if I ever got the chance
I think someone should smack you when you get near your guns. It did so much for you as a child it can't hurt you as an adult.

Do you smack your own children when they get near your guns?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
The point is that they are both lethal. No matter how "respectful" you are of them, no matter how well trained, that is all foolish and immoral arrogance. If something goes wrong, the chances are good that someone gets killed, and things can always go wrong.
They are NOT lethal if "YOU" don't use them.....

Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah, I had no idea we had so many damn hand guns around here.

And I'm not using a tragedy to push any agenda to the person who said that. I'm just saying that this is a TRAGEDY that didn't have to happen. Something has people scared of their own shadows. Right wing TV or radio I'm not sure.

There is very little crime in Rochester, MN. Almost none. What the hell is this guy so scared of that he just opens fire?
It's this culture of fear being driven into you by everyone from your Homeland Security to your local news station.

Land of the free and home of the brave; mmm

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
The fact that it was a gun made it lethal. A baseball bat might have been lethal, but probably not. Guns automatically make lethal situations that otherwise end with little or no mayhem.
You have no idea what you're talking about, even ignoring your fabricated BS about guns being immoral. Guns are not automatically lethal, in fact the great majority of people who get shot don't die. Not even being shot in the head (have you experienced that?) is automatically lethal.

In fact if you don't die instantly and get to a hospital you have a 95% chance of surviving a gunshot and 80% of the human body is not lethal if shot. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/ny...KdzfAYGy1KtYrg

Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,076 times
Default Very Sad

Very sad that this ordeal had to happen. I guess it's bad that she snuck out the house, if she was in the house when her grandparents went to bed and then grandpa got up because he heard noise at the front door, that meant she was trying to get back in. It was her own folly for being shot in this instance. Learn to sneak out a bit more effectively. And yes people have shot people many times, I guess guns produce fear and some people like when others fear them because it gives them a sense of control and power. Now not all people with guns think this way, a lot of people just want to protect themselves and deter rapes, burgarly, and death on them and or their family. Everyone doesn't live two minutes away from the police, and in some instances, even the police won't go in certain communities. People have a right to protect themselves, and people on the other end of the spectrum, should think first before breaking and entering, stalking, wanting to rape, rob, vandalize, and any other activity intended to bring harm and possible death to another person. That person that they are intending to hurt could be packing, or know how to fight, know the five point death punch, carry a bat, is a zombie, has a sword, knife, etc. We are required to protect ourselves by any means necessary. But I am glad that my knives have more than one purpose. I mean, no one can ban knives so YAY ME!!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,063 times
Why is it when a gun incident happens in everyday homes by legal owners, the Lefties are all over it using it for their agenda, but stay oh so silent about all the illegal guns in the hands of minorities shooting each other up and killing innocent by standers and children?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Can't wait to hear the gun nuts justify this.
I own several guns. I justify this by stating, the shooter acted incorrectly. Before verification of a problem, he shot first.

A gun owner should ALWAYS ensure that they identify who and what they are shooting before pulling the trigger.

This man acted inappropriately. I hope the young lady lives, and people like him learn about gun safety, rules of gun use, and appropriate reactions.

BTW, I have in fact stopped a crime in progress by being armed. Had my neighbor's neice entered the home by herself, with the burglar inside, things may have ended up differently. He ended up going to jail, she had a bad experience with a good ending.

Not ALL gun owners are nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies