Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Conservatives dont hate unions. Conservatives just love freedom more than they love unions.

Right to work states do not ban unions, hate unions, dismiss unions are mistreat union workers. In fact Republicans beleive that every single American has a right to make the personal choice to join a union or not.

This is the heart of the matter. Should an individual be forced to join a union against their will?

It is not "hatred for unions to suggest that the individual should have the right to either join or not join a union.

I would like to know why union leaders and democrats hate FREEDOM.
To what I bolded up top what does that even mean ? You have the right to join or not join a union if you don't want to. No one is forcing you, as to the RTW laws being passed it is detrimental not only to public but private unions as well or do you not think so ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh knock it off tough guy. Private unions aren't the problem, it's public unions.
Actually, both types of unions are problems and anti-American. However, private unions have a right to exist (freedom of assembly), whereas public unions do not have that right.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
To what I bolded up top what does that even mean ? You have the right to join or not join a union if you don't want to. No one is forcing you, as to the RTW laws being passed it is detrimental not only to public but private unions as well or do you not think so ?

Actually, the RTW laws prevents a union from requiring membership, union dues, or fees as a condition of employment.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:

Sorry DS, but if you are not in a RTW state, and you seek employment at a company that has a union, you have no choice but to join the union if you want to be employed. There is no freedom in that.

As for RTW states being detrimental to unions, I disagree. I live in Texas. I work for a company that has a large unionized workforce. The union works just fine here but folks are free to be part of the union or not.

My sister worked for a company where the warehouse employees decided to unionize. they voted and did so. Some folks didnt want to join. they did not.

Union was not harmed except those who didnt want to be in the union didnt pay any dues but is that not their right?

Harm to the union is neither my goal, nor something I consider in this discussion. I believe in freedom. Being in a union or not being in the union should not be a condition of employment. period. RTW laws protect this freedom.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ?
I don't understand the question.

Quote:
Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ?
Yes, I could.

Quote:
If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.
Who says I don't attempt to hold them accountable ?

Quote:
What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
No, I wouldn't. I dislike unions because they are anticompetitive labor cartels. It's a matter of principle.

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
To what I bolded up top what does that even mean?
I would say that they mean, as long as you serve up to the whims of the masters, you're free.

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Unions extort money from workers, whether they belong to a union or not. Unless they are in a Right-To-Work State. In Right-To-Work States unions cannot use their criminal techniques and thuggish muscling tactics to rob workers of their money.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,966 times
Quote:
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
I can speak as a conservative to this issue and have been a member of some unions.

I have no problem with unions representing workers who need the protection of work rules, hours and the like for safety reasons and to get reasonable wages. An example would be the iron workers. I don't know, offhand what they get paid, but whatever it is, it isn't enough. I can't even imagine how they can work under the conditions and with the ever present danger involved. And carpenters and laborers can also benefit from unions. I have belonged to both years ago.

But to the current time, by and large I think most unions are self perpetuating rip-off organizations that fleece the public and tax payers. I totally detest, despise, and yes, even hate the teacher's unions. These people are grossly overpaid, under worked, and have work rules that allow them to draw enormous salaries and are impossible to fire.

The UAW is another corrupt and worthless organization that would be best to see go down in flames. A recent example were the several Chrysler workers who were reinstated after drinking and smoking dope on their lunch hours. They are also grossly overpaid for the unskilled work they do.

The Teamsters have a long and sordid history and much of their work has moved onto self-employed contractors with their own rigs. With the exception of UPS, which is unionized, paid very well, and almost never quit their jobs I am unsympathetic. The UPS drivers work their tails off, do a fantastic job and probably deserve their pay. But they are in a competitive industry and wouldn't be doing as well as they do if they didn't deliver the service.

But the BIGGEST and most outrageous rip-off are the public service workers who are unionized. I speak as a retired state government worker. I will state categorically they should be barred from unionization under ANY circumstances. I won't go into specifics except they are a royal pain in the rump that protects incompetent workers. Even FDR warned against them having unions. They effectively sit on both sides of the bargaining table. What a deal!! And their retirement benefits are beyond belief. And we, the taxpayers, are getting the bill and a royal shafting.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
[quote=EinsteinsGhost;27310296]And union is the boogeyman in both. Unions didn't hold growth in auto industry back. What did was crappy decisions by the management. Or, are they not the problem but the unions?[quote]

I would say that some of the crappiest decisions by management had to do with pension plans forced on them by the unions. I guess you don't understand that part, though.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
No it's not FEEEELLLINGS it's called empathy something many of the psychopaths in the republican party know nothing about. Heck you ran a corporate robot for president and he had his butt kicked, grow a heart and stop being a selfish spoiled little child. And the ceo who crashes his company yet still receives a $1.5 million bonus is not selfish ?
Ha - you think you're so empathetic, then proceed to namecall. Whatever.

Everyone can have empathy, but when your business decisions are based solely on that, you run into trouble.

As for empathy being something conservatives know nothing about - why is it that conservatives donate more to charity than libs?

I have a heart. That's why I know it's more compassionate for folks to make their own way, instead of being enabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies