Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,540,420 times

Advertisements

Thousands of companies nationwide thrive with no 'help' whatsoever from unions, which are notorious for shutting down businesses and putting people out of work, an with no sense of reality to boot.

In many instances their employees make more $$$ in the same industry; look no farther than Whole Foods Market here in LA, whose employees enjoy higher salaries AND lower out-of-pocket medical expenses than their unionized counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,152,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Thousands of companies nationwide thrive with no 'help' whatsoever from unions, which are notorious for shutting down businesses and putting people out of work, an with no sense of reality to boot.

In many instances their employees make more $$$ in the same industry; look no farther than Whole Foods Market here in LA, whose employees enjoy higher salaries AND lower out-of-pocket medical expenses than their unionized counterparts.
Funny you should mention Whole Foods, or Whole Paycheck as some of us call it. I don't shop there often, but I did participate in the BUYcott to show support for Whole Foods' CEO's opposition to Obamacare.

It kills the yuppie Leftists to be mad at Whole Foods. LOL!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,259,323 times
unions work best for those who need them the least....ball players, chicago symphony orchestra union, etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times
Quote:

Well and good, Ever think one of the reasons Whole Foods, Starbucks, others, pay so well, including health care are doing this? It's in part, the Unions. If you reward your employees more than other standards, including Unions, there will be no reason to start up a Union. I wonder what wages and working conditions would be like if management had little or none reason to do so.? Well, we do have a modern day example, it's Wallmart, the place to work where you will not earn a living wage!

be no reason to start up a Union.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 PM

25,762 posts, read 16,373,346 times
I'm union. I'll gross 120K this year which I'm sure to many of you isn't that much but for a blue collar person that is a good job. The only reason I took this job was because of the wages and benefits. Otherwise I would be working for myself building houses fulltime. So the only reason my company has my talent is because of what they pay and the union negotiates that for me so I don't have to kiss anyone's butt. The company hasn't laid anyone off in 100+ years so I like the job security as well.

We do a good job for the company and the customers. Our company is one of the most profitable companies in our field in the US.

I don't understand why Republicans hate us but they love the management pukes who do very little every day and rake in huge dough. Or the board members/Directors who make millions and do absolutely NOTHING.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Funny you should mention Whole Foods, or Whole Paycheck as some of us call it. I don't shop there often, but I did participate in the BUYcott to show support for Whole Foods' CEO's opposition to Obamacare.

It kills the yuppie Leftists to be mad at Whole Foods. LOL!
Does not bother me one bit! You think everyone that works there is a rightwing supporter? Seldom are employees wearing their political persuasion on their sleeve . If you want to keep the Union out, pay more in salary and benefits than what union workers get. I did that for over forty years in my trucking co.Never had any interest in Unions...but, we all knew they were there.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM

38,608 posts, read 26,236,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
I agree, but I don't think abolishing the unions is the answer. I'm lacking ideas, but I believe workers have a right to organize, regardless of which sector employs them.

Now, if you want to engage in intelligent discussion, I'd like that. If you're going to use childish language like "progtard," pass on by.

FRD's opposition to public sector unions was based on the fact that while the unions represented government workers at negotiations, no one represented the employers (taxpayers).

Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,215,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
FRD's opposition to public sector unions was based on the fact that while the unions represented government workers at negotiations, no one represented the employers (taxpayers).
That's the crux of the problem. The unions elect the politicians who then sit on the other side of the table and give them what they want in exchange for their votes. What a deal!!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,899,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
Answer is no - pure and simple. You will not get an honest answer. Here's one reason why:

Ronald Reagan In Support of Unions and Collective Bargaining. - YouTube

The other reason is funding.
Remember, repubs are vehemently opposed to waffling and flip-flopping. That's what they find so "dishonest" about dems, and why they dredge up Obama as an 8-year-old.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-15-2012 at 01:02 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,057,375 times
Quote:

How about them (Organic) Apples!!!???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies