Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,445,297 times

Advertisements

Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
No, no, no...accountability is only for the little people.

As I've said before, the day that CEOs are hired on a "free market" and their compensation and job security is tied directly to performance, I will become more sympathetic towards their arguments.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Conservatives dislike labor unions, because their member give to Democrats, rather than Republicans. That's why conservatives hate teachers so much.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives dislike labor unions, because their member give to Democrats, rather than Republicans. That's why conservatives hate teachers so much.
Precisely. That's the root of all these efforts to destroy unions. If unions were main contributors to the GOP, they would be propping up unions. They're able to manipulate their silly base into believing unions (along with government) are the reasons their economic situations are degrading.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Just wondering but what is the with the hate I see on this board from conservatives towards the unions ? I know a few union guys who vote republican but for the life of me I really don't see why. Are there any conservative/republican that can give me an actual answer without spinning off into the whole unions fund dem garbage and just give me an honest answer ? If you are so against unions and blame many of them for destroying businesses why then won't you also hold accountable the ceo's or other top execs who made more than any of the unions workers and who bankrupted the company giving themselves extravagant bonuses.

What if instead of the unions supporting and giving money to mainly dems what if they gave money to republicans instead ? Would you still dislike them so much ?
Why don't union members hire union members and pay union wages when they hire workers?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Because no one should be forced to pay in order to work.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why don't union members hire union members and pay union wages when they hire workers?

huh?? Most of the people who work in a union are actually from that union so I'm not sure the heck your talking about but thanks for giving a non-answer.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
I don't hate unions, but I do think people should have a choice whether or not they want to join (which is the point of RTW). Nobody should be forced to join a union in order to work somewhere.

I am pro-choice.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Because no one should be forced to pay in order to work.
What a person pays in union dues is for the union to fight for them, they also pay because they receive the benefits of belonging to a union. Right now I'm a temp worker if my job didn't like me they wouldn't have to tell me a thing I'd just be gone and fired FOR ANY REASON. With a union, A GOOD AND STRONG UNION there is a better chance of them fighting for you or at least preventing the employer from frivolously firing you for no reason. And if you think that sort of thing does not happen then you are fooling yourself

Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't hate unions, but I do think people should have a choice whether or not they want to join (which is the point of RTW). Nobody should be forced to join a union in order to work somewhere.

I am pro-choice.
Ok that sounds fair but what if someone works for say the police department but who is not part of the union but yet receives the same sort of benefits of a union member do you believe that person should pay into the union if they are enjoying the benefits of said union? If they decide they don't want to pay then should they have there union benefits taken away and instead only get what the employer actually wants to give to them ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies