Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM

1,403 posts, read 938,051 times

Advertisements

» Homeschoolers Flee Persecution in Germany and Sweden Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Sad this is still going on in places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
i feel sorry for home schooled kids....while i understand why their parents are doing it.. I feel like their attempt to protect their kids actually end up hurting them..
my sister's ex husband was home schooled his whole life and he had ZERO social skills and something just wasn't right about him.. like he didn't have coping skills with the reality of the world around him. He was the product of a bubble.
I'm not saying all home school experiences create this but I've met a few other home schooled kids when I was younger and they just didn't seem right.. something was wrong.. and into their 20's they ended up going off the deep end (drugs, sex, partying) its sad.. I think there's something social in organized education that cannot be duplicated in the home.
Just like religion.. I myself am an atheist so the thought of the whole beliefs makes me want to vomit.. but there is an important and valuable social aspect to organized religion that cannot be duplicated in reading the bible at home alone.

we are social creatures...

just my two cents

Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 AM

That's what most people who don't like homeschooling say. I was homeschooled. I also played football,soccer and was in boy scouts...same for my brothers and sisters...just because a few aren't socialized doesn't mean all aren't.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
That's what most people who don't like homeschooling say. I was homeschooled. I also played football,soccer and was in boy scouts...same for my brothers and sisters...just because a few aren't socialized doesn't mean all aren't.
you're absolutely right....I'm just going off of what I've seen in regards to home schooled kids
and to be fair many children go to public school and are bullied or harassed which causes it's own share of damages making them socially scarred...
I think it's a personal decision, and I don't think anyone should be FORCED to send their children to the public schools.. BUT if that child is expressing interest in attending the public school, I don't necessarily agree with a parent forcing the child to stay home either.. Force is a two way street..

Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Most of the parents that I've seen that have tried to 'home school' were not qualified to train a dog, much less teach a child.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Its their right to home school their kids it is not yours or the governments choice to tell them they can't do it...

Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 AM

78 posts, read 136,189 times
Quote:
Its their right to home school their kids it is not yours or the governments choice to tell them they can't do it...

Well said. People should be allowed to have a choice. I salute these parents for not wanting their children to pass through the indoctrination system.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Most of the parents that I've seen that have tried to 'home school' were not qualified to train a dog, much less teach a child.
And most of the parents that I know who do or did homeschool their kids did a far better job than what the local public school system would have done. It depends on the resources that you use, and there are thousands of choices out there for homeschoolers.

Our daughter was homeschooled from fifth grade through high school because she was being held back in a traditional classroom. She would actually get increments of her recess taken away if she tried to work at her own pace, since in a classroom everyone is forced to work at the pace of the slowest kid in the class in order to keep everyone on the same page.

Our daughter took dual enrollment college classes during her senior year of high school, graduated with a 3.98 GPA, earned a 30 composite score on the ACT, and is just completing her first semester in the Honors program of a high quality state university. She has friends, has participated in various activities, and has no social problems to speak of. She knows right from wrong, does not use drugs or even alcohol, and is very much her own person, thanks to not being indoctrinated by the government throughout her school years and not having to deal with peer pressure which generally continually tries to redefine the lower limits of bad taste.

Blanket statements about homeschooling generally come from people who feel threatened by it, but I can tell you that people who homeschool usually do it out of love and concern for their kids, so they put forth extra effort to "do it right". It isn't for everyone, but it does work very, very well for some of us and is a viable educational option.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
People should be allowed to have the choice of educating their children how they see fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies