Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seitcE7Tf1I

Who says Appalachians don't play with big toys....CLICK ON THE LINK AND THE VIDEO WILL PLAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage

So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
Same as always happens any time government tries to get rid of anything people want: a black market, stupid.

People would figure out how to make and sell them through the black market, guns would become as common as liquor during Prohibition or marijuana today, and criminals would run wild, assaulting, raping, and murdering anyone they wanted, since law-abiding people would be the only ones disarmed and wouldn't be able to defend themselves.

Any other blindingly obvious things I can help you see?
The gun grabbers are to blinded by ignorance to see.
That's the only thing that keeps the push for "gun control" laws going: The insane belief that such laws accomplish any good at all, in the face of massive evidence (and common sense) to the contrary.

If the government-uber-alles fanatics had the least bit of common sense, govt-mandated "gun control" would die on the vine, and quickly.

Then again, that's true for most of liberalism, not just the "gun-control" part.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Except for law enforcement and the military what problems would arise if there were no guns in this country? I suppose we would have 30,000 more people alive every year. What's that, about a million folks in some 30 odd years? I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well, there's always the grocery store. So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
Yay! Then we could ALL be 100% dependant on and at the mercy of a dysfunctional, untrustworthy system that is engineered to work for the 1%.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default No guns at all.

I there were no guns at all in civillian hands a whole lot of people would be mugged and/or robbed by thugs with knives or clubs.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
It's amazing how many people out there don't think a knife, club, hammer, etc can be used to kill someone... Fact is, they can not only be used, but in most cases they cause even more severe damage than does a gunshot wound.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
It's amazing how many people out there don't think a knife, club, hammer, etc can be used to kill someone... Fact is, they can not only be used, but in most cases they cause even more severe damage than does a gunshot wound.
Exhibit A: Father killed with bow and arrow recently in Wyoming:
Man killed father in Wyoming bow-and-arrow attack

From the OP: I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well.....there's always the grocery store

There are hundreds of examples throughout World and US history of times when the unthinkable happened. And grocery stores were not always handy. Or filled with food.

Whether it is to hunt - for self protection while walking in the neighborhood at night - or to protect yourself from a government (that historically has proven cannot be trusted) and stop it from badly overstepping its bounds, people own guns.

That will not change in this country. Not ever. And people will not willingly hand over their guns (as has been seen in other countries). Not ever.

To leave yourself defenseless and unprepared for any number of contingencies that could potentially (and realistically) happen, is a fools game.

I don't really fear the government trying to "take our guns". There's too many of them, and too many people who would fight to keep them. I do wonder how easy it will be to find ammunition in the coming years though...........

Why the Japanese did not invade the US mainland:
[LEFT]Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto - “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.â€

And just for laughs, read this. In May China issued a report calling gun ownership in this country a human rights violation:
China condemns U.S. gun ownership as human rights violation - National gun rights | Examiner.com

[/LEFT]

Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM

588 posts, read 796,311 times
Quote:
Except for law enforcement and the military what problems would arise if there were no guns in this country? I suppose we would have 30,000 more people alive every year. What's that, about a million folks in some 30 odd years? I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well, there's always the grocery store. So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
If we're not careful, homicide rates might edge closer to the rates of the UK. We're probably safe from approaching Japan's homicide rate in the foreseable future.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Where on Earth do the politicians get the idea they can get rid of all guns in civilian hands?

In the 1920s they tried to get rid of all liquor. Result: a huge increase in the number of illegal stills, illegal imports, etc., and liquor sales and consumption flourished. The only real change was, criminals proifted hugely from the soaring prices and state-granted monopoly, and criminal activity ballooned, including assaults, murders, etc., and they got so much money that they found they could bribe police, legislators etc., and gain huge political power.

In the 1960s they tried to get rid of all marijuana. Result: Huge increases in the amounts grown illegally in every state in the union, and in imports from other countries, and marijuana sales and usage flouorished. The only real change was, criminals profited hugely from the soaring prices and state-granted monopoly, and criminal activity ballooned, including assaults, murders, etc., and they got so much money that they found they could bribe police, legislators etc., and gain huge political power.

Now they want to get rid of all guns. How stupid does someone have to be, to think that "This time it'll work"?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 12-13-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
I didn't read every post in this thread.

But what if we didn't have abortions? There would be 1,200,000 additional humans alive every year.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Please tell me your comment is tongue in cheek...
If Congress would come out on the lawn of the White House and hold a press conference declaring the United State a "Gun Free Zone" and then join hands and sing Kumbaya every criminal would instantly be so moved that they would immediately turn over their weapons to local law enforcement and also give a detailed confession to every crime they had committed!

Seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies