Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,849,231 times

Advertisements

You always have to remember that the Republican south used to be the Democratic south, so I don't think its high poverty rate has much to do with party affiliation. The industrialization first spread in the north. That's the simple answer. It brought good jobs and high pay. But now the trend is the other way. The south is rising. Low cost living, lower wages, low taxes and Right to work laws are bringing the south up. Now places like Michigan are the ones lagging behind. Most of the south has had 30 years of steady progress and my guess it will continue for some time. Note that the electoral map is being affected. Southern states numbers are rising, northern states are losing votes.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,149,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is a great article from NPR talking about poverty in America but what really struck me was the map of where poverty is located. Republican states, especially southern states, are just the worst in the country when it comes to providing a decent living for their citizens yet Republicans always try to pretend their policies result in less poverty. Why is it Republican dominated states are such poverty ridden crapholes?

Poverty In America: The Struggle To Get Ahead : NPR

Check out the map of where poverty is located in America. Count down to RWNJs trying to blame black people in 3...2...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbx6yc.gif
Why on the page you quoted is the Democrat run Reading, Pa., mentioned 2x out of 5 articles, and a 3rd article concerning Oakland, Ca. ?

Another thing, you talk of poverty in the south, the question is, on what basis was the map generated? Income level? You do realize that Living in New York City, and other northern cities and in many cases, states, requires a higher income because the cost of living is higher.

A person in some places in West Va, Virginia, NC, SC, Ga, etc, can actually live on much LESS, than you need, just to live around NYC. My home in Va, has a market value of 190K, in NYC, it would cost 3 times that. That means you would need 4 times the income, because interest even at the same rate, is a higher number simply because of the amount of the loan, and that drives up insurance costs, and local taxes.

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-12-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM

11,910 posts, read 6,487,646 times
Independent here.
This is one of the main reasons I jumped out of the Democratic party. Their social policies, their welfare policies, their education policies, their "war on poverty" policies do not work. There is no accountability, it is riff with corruption and incompetence at the highest levels. They have created multiple generations of welfare dependents that are totally alienated from normal society. I taught in schools where seniors couldn't write about their career goals because NO ONE in their community had ever worked!

The Republicans in the 90s somewhat reformed welfare policy, and there was a huge reduction in welfare numbers. With the work program things started to turn around, but now Obama has taken out valuable parts of the work program because it causes undue "burdens" on welfare recipients. Geesh!

If you don't have a work requirement tied into entitlements for those who are able to work, each generation loses its work-ethic connection. Instead of the money we spend on illegals, we could hire welfare recipients to do those jobs with the same or less taxpayer money we are spending on both legal and illegal immigrants (with tax money going to hire welfare recipients instead of illegals/legals, taxpayers would save on needing less schools, less ESL teachers, less prisons, less medicaid, less border patrol money, etc. Construction companies, restaurants, etc could get subsidies for hiring welfare instead of illegals/legals and they could be job-trained to actually have a future career as painters, dry wall, masons, etc)
But most important it would bring back the work ethic to these poor communities--something the Dems and their policies have destroyed.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,743,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Camden is a pocket of poverty but if you look at the map in the OP New Jersey has one of the lowest poverty rates in the country on the whole. FACT.

Your other wild claims are in New York and Pennsylvania. Look at the map and see how much lower the poverty rates are in those states vs just about the entire south.
Where did this map come from? The link doesn't say, and there is no way to verify the information that you assert as FACT.

And it would be understandable that a region of a country where a devastating war was fought, and which was crippled economically after that devastating war, would lag behind the rest of the country for many decades.

The majority of the battles during the Civil War occurred in the South. The South was essentially occupied by enemy armies for an extended period. Reconstruction didn't just politically punish the South for the war, it economically punished the South as well. The Great Depression impacted the nation as a whole, but prior to the Great Depression the South endured an extended economic depression for half a century. And the post-World War II prosperity was largely due to a boom in manufacturing. The great manufacturing centers were not in the South, but in the North, because the economic policies of Reconstruction had discouraged investment in the South, and there simply wasn't an infrastructure in place to support development of manufacturing. As we've moved from a manufacturing economy to a communications/technology economy, the South has made progress, but understandably still lags behind the rest of the country.

I think to blame the South for economic factors beyond its control is irrational. I think to call the South a "craphole" is prejudice.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,094,321 times
Southern states have the highest percentage of Blacks than any other region.

That is the reason poverty levels are high there. Too many democrats leeching the system down south.

One thing you will never notice down south is the "flash mob" phenomenon where gangs of "youths" (blacks) attack unsuspecting whites. Southern boys don't play that jive.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,717,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As I said, I can live much less expensively in the south than you can in the north, so you are comparing apples and oranges.. Real Estate is less expensive, gasoline is less expensive, food is less expensive.. Virtually everything you can name is less expensive in the south.. Do we in the south have our problems? Of coarse we do, but I will guarantee you, there are far greater problems in the north and the north would do well to clean it's own house before it starts cleaning others.
How does it being less expensive in the South counter the OPs argument? Doesn't that make it even more ridiculous that the south is so poor? The south is cheap because there is less demand to live there.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,717,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

That is the reason poverty levels are high there. Too many democrats leeching the system down south.

One thing you will never notice down south is the "flash mob" phenomenon where gangs of "youths" (blacks) attack unsuspecting whites. Southern boys don't play that jive.
Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth - Bloomberg

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008.

You were saying?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Where did this map come from? The link doesn't say, and there is no way to verify the information that you assert as FACT.

And it would be understandable that a region of a country where a devastating war was fought, and which was crippled economically after that devastating war, would lag behind the rest of the country for many decades.

The majority of the battles during the Civil War occurred in the South. The South was essentially occupied by enemy armies for an extended period. Reconstruction didn't just politically punish the South for the war, it economically punished the South as well. The Great Depression impacted the nation as a whole, but prior to the Great Depression the South endured an extended economic depression for half a century. And the post-World War II prosperity was largely due to a boom in manufacturing. The great manufacturing centers were not in the South, but in the North, because the economic policies of Reconstruction had discouraged investment in the South, and there simply wasn't an infrastructure in place to support development of manufacturing. As we've moved from a manufacturing economy to a communications/technology economy, the South has made progress, but understandably still lags behind the rest of the country.

I think to blame the South for economic factors beyond its control is irrational. I think to call the South a "craphole" is prejudice.
here, apparently.

Source: 2010 Census, 2006-2010 American Community Survey, Legal Momentum's "Reading Between the Lines: Women's Poverty in the United States, 2010"

Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,743,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

The presence of Black people in a population does not cause poverty. Your remark about "leeching the system" is completely ignorant of the facts of welfare. "Flash mobs" are actually an urban phenomenon, and so unlikely in any settings that are not explicitly urban.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,686 times
I lived in Mississippi for two years, but I'm from PA and now reside back in PA. My interpretation of the deep south is that they haven't EVOLVED. Education sucks, teacher pay sucks, labor union is a four letter word, worker's rights are non-existent. The south is almost like you're either a "have" or a "have-not." Jobs pay less than the north. Many southerners still fight the Civil War even though its been over for a 150 years.

However, there are exceptions. I lived right by Madison Mississippi. Madison is a beautiful town. Its very affluent. It takes a household income of close to a 100k to live there. Madison was actually voted as one of the top five places to raise a family in the US in 2008. Highly educated, family oriented, conservative yet trendy. The whole town is made up of housing developments, nice homes with yards, alot people don't even mow their own yard, landscaping vehicles are quite a common site in Madison. The exit to Madison off of I-55 is actually lined with bricks. The Wal-Mart and Lowe's located right off the exit are also brick. Even a cell tower is covered white blocks to resemble the Washington Monument. Again, this is in the poorest state in America.

I live about two and a half hours from Reading. Reading has been a sh*t hole for at least the past 20 years. Alot of jobs moved out, alot of immigrants, (I'm sure many of them illegal), moved in. Crime is through the roof. I believe Reading is the most dangerous city in PA.

My point is comparing Madison and Reading is that there are exceptions

I did watch the video on the webpage about the two single mothers in Reading. Let's be honest, they made bad choices and are suffering the consequences. This will happen no matter where you live. Both of them brought children into the world when they can't support themselves. I didn't see a or hear of a man with the first woman, but the father of the second woman's children tried to kill her. Sounds like a good dude. A lot of people in life have bad judgement. The women in that video are two of them. There's a reason we have birth control. Its there, use it. I as a taxpayer should not have to pay for someone else's mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies