Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No, you don't believe that. I think you need to look all the things that states do to promote all sorts of outcomes. It is more than providing education.

This is the problem with southern states lack of investment in their own citizens. This increases poverty and hurts the state.
You have to have capital to make that investment. When the capital isn't there, in an impoverished state, then it isn't a case of choosing not to make the investment.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is a great article from NPR talking about poverty in America but what really struck me was the map of where poverty is located. Republican states, especially southern states, are just the worst in the country when it comes to providing a decent living for their citizens yet Republicans always try to pretend their policies result in less poverty. Why is it Republican dominated states are such poverty ridden crapholes?

Poverty In America: The Struggle To Get Ahead : NPR

Check out the map of where poverty is located in America. Count down to RWNJs trying to blame black people in 3...2...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbx6yc.gif
How is the poverty calculated?

I found it amusing that on the link the articles on poverty showing were NOT in southern states:

Quote:
An Oakland, Calif., nonprofit group encourages low-income families to figure out for themselves what they need to get ahead

A nonprofit that helps low-income families in Eugene, Ore., recycles mattresses to help bring in money.

Poverty among single mothers is an astounding 66 percent in Reading, Pa.,

Tens of millions of Americans are still struggling, despite the slow economic recovery. In Reading, Pa., the nation's poorest city, local nonprofit Opportunity House provides a lifeline for families trying to stay afloat by offering day care, housing and other assistance

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
CA is not the south and they have a growing problem of poverty.

The South has always been poor since the Civil War days.

California has it's own problems, but its official poverty rate is lower than Texas. I know there was a new measure of poverty that the government introduced, but understand that is not the official poverty of a state.

The south's poverty is a direct result of their less productive lower educated citizens. This has to change if the south is to lower its poverty rate.

The south and so does the US federal government need to invest in it's citizens. This is the way a nation or state improves itself.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You have to have capital to make that investment. When the capital isn't there, in an impoverished state, then it isn't a case of choosing not to make the investment.
Well, that is true to an extent, but those investments have to made. You lobby the federal government. You form partnerships with business and private citizens. You increase taxes, you find the revenue to get it done. You sell government bonds.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Well, that is true to an extent, but those investments have to made. You lobby the federal government. You form partnerships with business and private citizens. You increase taxes, you find the revenue to get it done. You sell government bonds.
You raise taxes on an already impoverished populace?

You form partnerships with businesses and private citizens who are already the poorest in the nation?

You sell government bonds? To whom? Do you know why some of these states are considered poor investments? It's not because they aren't managed well. Many have lower debt-loads and better cash flow than the majority of states, but they still don't get the good credit ratings. Poverty is a downward spiral, where you pay more to do less. And that is especially true of the kind of investments you are talking about.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I am a northerner living in the South. One thing I do know is that public education levels are much lower here, in general, than in the North.
How do you know that? Just curious. Do you have school age children? To what do you attribute this?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
This is a great article from NPR talking about poverty in America but what really struck me was the map of where poverty is located. Republican states, especially southern states, are just the worst in the country when it comes to providing a decent living for their citizens yet Republicans always try to pretend their policies result in less poverty. Why is it Republican dominated states are such poverty ridden crapholes?

Check out the map of where poverty is located in America. Count down to RWNJs trying to blame black people in 3...2...

wow, that's some serious race baiting right there.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
No, you don't believe that. I think you need to look all the things that states do to promote all sorts of outcomes. It is more than providing education.

This is the problem with southern states lack of investment in their own citizens. This increases poverty and hurts the state.
Please clarify investment in their own citizens. What does that mean? And how is the south not doing it?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:

And you are using NPR as your source!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'm sorry. I just can't take this seriously. This is pure propaganda.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
This would also be a good time to review that southern / red states also use a lot of government benefits relative to what they pay in - it's certainly not just liberal states.

The Map That Proves Red Staters Use The Safety Net Too | TPMDC

Here's another with similar trends.
The Geography of Government Benefits - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies