Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
It was a comedian delivering the opening stand-up routine on a comedy show. Of course it was comedy. That's not playing it off, that's what it is.

I'm going to go at this from the other direction. There are plenty of white comedians who do racist comedy - Daniel Tosh and Sarah Silverman both come to mind immediately. Andrew "Dice" Clay did a lot of this. George Carlin had a funny (IMO) rape joke, and did Wanda Sykes. Louis CK had a joke where he said the N word on stage, in order to explain that the phrase "the N word" was a cowardly way to avoid saying the word. And no, this is not the same as waving a racist sign at a political rally, or putting something like "Obama Bucks" in your GOP newsletter. Those aren't the time for that sort of comedy - and frankly, most of them are bad "jokes". If they want to try making racist jokes, they can get their butts onto the comedy stage, and quit putting it where it doesn't belong. And in return, people need to stop flipping out at random jokes told by comedians.
ITA with this!! Well said

I also know plenty of white comedians who have told racially charged jokes and exemplified black stereotypes in their acts and these comedians have not received any sort of discrimination charge from black people or "liberals." It is because they are funny.

Ralphie May comes to mind with his barricuda joke that you can look up on youtube where he was making fun of the way black people in movie theaters behaved in regards to the movie "Open Water." It is one of my favorite clips, it may be labeled "Cuba Divin." As in black people saying at the movie theater "I ain't goin cuba divin!!!" LOL it is pretty hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
You can't be racist if you're black.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
It's about a racist staring in a racist movie making racist statements.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I haven't watched SNL in years, but last saturday night I was a guest and got trapped into watching it. I was the only one in the room who didn't laugh and I was the oldest in the room. My hosts represented both politcal parties too. So maybe it's a generation thing, I dunno. After suffering through the entire show they then conclude that the show really wasn't very good after all. I've seriously given up on trying to figure people out.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
SNL has went down hill every year since the NRFPT players. That is not the point. All I am saying is if we don't accept the argument for Right wing people to pawn off its a joke when they say something racists, then we can not accept it on the left. The argument above that this person or that person said this or that and they are right wing, has not baring. Did you get away with that as a kid, but Johny is doing it. I don't think your mother unless she was derelict in her motherly duties would buy that for one second. I am not even picking out Jamie Foxx, I am picking out the people on MSNBC and others who give it a pass when at the same time out of the other side of their mouth slam anyone on the right for doing the same thing. Limbaugh was just joking when he said Sandra Fluke was a slu t. I agree he was joking, I don't think he was saying she really was, but its not a funny or proper joke and you can not pawn it off as a joke. If you say Foxx was just joking then Limbaugh was just joking and Nugent was just joking telling Obama to suck on his AR15. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Since they threw Beck off the air, nobody pays attention to anything FOX says any more.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
If you say Foxx was just joking then Limbaugh was just joking and Nugent was just joking telling Obama to suck on his AR15. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Thank you for being big enough to admit the hypocrisy when these incidents arise.

Plenty of right-wingers have gone way too far in their 'jokes' and they should keep in mind how their words are portrayed once it hits the AP. But there is a glaring double-standard in how these types of comments are handled; the media is quick to pounce and attack when Limbaugh says something offensive and quick to deflect or simply ignore it when Bill Maher says something equally offensive.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
SNL has went down hill every year since the NRFPT players. That is not the point. All I am saying is if we don't accept the argument for Right wing people to pawn off its a joke when they say something racists, then we can not accept it on the left. The argument above that this person or that person said this or that and they are right wing, has not baring. Did you get away with that as a kid, but Johny is doing it. I don't think your mother unless she was derelict in her motherly duties would buy that for one second. I am not even picking out Jamie Foxx, I am picking out the people on MSNBC and others who give it a pass when at the same time out of the other side of their mouth slam anyone on the right for doing the same thing. Limbaugh was just joking when he said Sandra Fluke was a slu t. I agree he was joking, I don't think he was saying she really was, but its not a funny or proper joke and you can not pawn it off as a joke. If you say Foxx was just joking then Limbaugh was just joking and Nugent was just joking telling Obama to suck on his AR15. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
If Jamie Foxx was at a political rally or making a political statement about a political initiative then you might have a point. He was not and Rush and Nugent were. Big difference.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,462 times
Quote:
If you say Foxx was just joking then Limbaugh was just joking and Nugent was just joking telling Obama to suck on his AR15. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
But the entire point is, Jamie Foxx is doing an actual comedy routine. Everyone in the audience knows that it's comedy, and they treat it as such. And it's perfectly clear, that he's discussing the actions of an escaped slave, in an action film about the antebellum south, and not about any living white person. And in any case, his entire routine is about mocking stereotypes, and how far along the US has come. Limbaugh and Nugent's "jokes" are really about how bitter they are about where the US is, and their anger and resentment.

People seem to think that comedians just walk in front of the cameras and start being funny. In truth, the jokes that you see on HBO or SNL, are jokes that they've been tuning in small venues for weeks or months. Limbaugh and Nugent are just ranting. Which is why I said we should stop flipping out at random comedians. I couldn't care less if Tracy Morgan or whoever tried a joke at Ha-Ha's that didn't work. If comedians can't do that, then we can't get the HBO specials. But Limbaugh yelling about how promiscuous Fluke is, is again, not him trying out a routine, it's just him being a jerk.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
But the entire point is, Jamie Foxx is doing an actual comedy routine. Everyone in the audience knows that it's comedy, and they treat it as such. And it's perfectly clear, that he's discussing the actions of an escaped slave, in an action film about the antebellum south, and not about any living white person. And in any case, his entire routine is about mocking stereotypes, and how far along the US has come. Limbaugh and Nugent's "jokes" are really about how bitter they are about where the US is, and their anger and resentment.

People seem to think that comedians just walk in front of the cameras and start being funny. In truth, the jokes that you see on HBO or SNL, are jokes that they've been tuning in small venues for weeks or months. Limbaugh and Nugent are just ranting. Which is why I said we should stop flipping out at random comedians. I couldn't care less if Tracy Morgan or whoever tried a joke at Ha-Ha's that didn't work. If comedians can't do that, then we can't get the HBO specials. But Limbaugh yelling about how promiscuous Fluke is, is again, not him trying out a routine, it's just him being a jerk.
And Limbaugh says he is doing entertainment. Its not a skit it was a comedy comentary not the same thing, you are trying to pawn it off. Just stand up and say its not funny when right or left goes over the top. Its not hard, it wont hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies