Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 AM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Pot calling kettle black.
how so ???

you seem to be more worried about stereotyping those that disagree with you than actually discussing what you disagree with, its sad.

If you are really a liberal, you are the type that give us a bad name. What you are doing is putting you right up there with what you claim Jamie Foxx was doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,144,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
And...no. Limbaugh doesn't get to claim he's only doing entertainment, when the head of the RNC called his show to apologize for saying that he sometimes goes overboard, and CPAC declared him the Defender of the Constitution. Just like the president does not get to joke about the Special Olympics with Jay Leno.
I agree, my whole point is that Foxx can not hide behind I was joking nor should anyone else be able to us the joke, or entertainment as an excuse for inexcusable behavior. I think this is self evident. My point is that the left will give a pass to those who do the same things they will not give a pass to on the right. I still believe in many social liberal issues, but as some here show them self to be a hypocrite on the issue.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Lets say, that in the movie Glory Matt. Brodrick came on TV and joked all the nigg#rs get killed. I was joking. Not going to wash. Nor should Foxx.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
I agree, my whole point is that Foxx can not hide behind I was joking nor should anyone else be able to us the joke, or entertainment as an excuse for inexcusable behavior. I think this is self evident. My point is that the left will give a pass to those who do the same things they will not give a pass to on the right. I still believe in many social liberal issues, but as some here show them self to be a hypocrite on the issue.
we arent being hypocrites, we simply disagree with your logic. To be hypocrites we would have to agree that they are the same thing. that is the idea of the phrase you used, "give a pass".

"My point is that the left will give a pass to those who do the same things they will not give a pass to on the right, I still believe in many social liberal issues"

your argument their makes you sound like a libertarian or at most moderate conservative, not a liberal.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,613,410 times
Quote:

But I will not just walk in lockstep with Liberals who are being hypocritical. So if you don't like my thinking fine but you have no idea of what I am or am not. Sorry but you are over the top.
JMO stands for 'Just My Opinion', which I trust I am entitled to.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,541,887 times
Quote:
Lets say, that in the movie Glory Matt. Brodrick came on TV and joked all the nigg#rs get killed. I was joking. Not going to wash. Nor should Foxx.
If he made it funny, great.

Quote:
No, the point is that Foxx made a joke about being in a Tarantino revenge flick. Slaveowners routinely bought, sold, beat, raped, and killed their slaves. You aren't supposed to sympathize with them. Thus, Jamie Foxx's joke was not offensive. Y'all act like he said he was going to kill John Boehner and Eric Cantor.

Meanwhile, Limbaugh does routinely attack actual people - and republicans tell us that he's their most important voice. If the GOP didn't routinely do so, he'd just be some guy who is angry that being a straight white guy doesn't mean that he's the top of society anymore.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
we arent being hypocrites, we simply disagree with your logic. To be hypocrites we would have to agree that they are the same thing. that is the idea of the phrase you used, "give a pass".

"My point is that the left will give a pass to those who do the same things they will not give a pass to on the right, I still believe in many social liberal issues"

your argument their makes you sound like a libertarian or at most moderate conservative, not a liberal.
First off, I don't like labels. Conservative or Liberal or Libertarian. Its like saying all blacks are lazy or whites are greedy and oppressive. I take one issue at a time. I am liberal on Abortion, and medicine to name a few, Conservative in guns and a couple of other issues. They are absolutely the same. Foxx using comedy to hide behind is no different than Limbaugh hiding behind entertainment or Nugent saying he was joking. Sorry you just can't have it both ways. You are looking like a bit of a fool for trying to twist yourself to make ten pounds of sh it fit into a three pound box. It just don't work.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,448,766 times
Quote:
No, What I did notice was the piece MB on MSNBC did with Goldie Taylor saying it was a joke it was a artistic lis. thing. bla bla bla. The piece was done about an hour ago and it was BS. As I said above its hypocritical. We lambaste and rightly so when the right tries this crap and what we use the same crap and say its OK? BS BS BS. It was a garbage piece. MB and Goldie Taylor and that other black guy, can't remember his name, should have said, it was a joke but it was over the top. It went too far. This in my mind diminishes some of the left now when they cry about someone on the right says that they don't' have to worry about where they were born or what ever then say its a joke. You can not just say its a joke and use it as a get out of jail free card. If you do then its a card both left and right can use.
Well you're not alone. Last night I saw Democratic strategist Kirsten Powers commenting on ABC, NBC, and CBS coverage of the union protests and say when they covered the tea party they would actively seek out one racist sign amongst thousands of innocent ones and broadcast that but with the union protests they have dramatic footage of actual violent assaults but do not show it or comment on it.

I just about fell out of my chair when she said that.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
If he made it funny, great.

No, the point is that Foxx made a joke about being in a Tarantino revenge flick. Slaveowners routinely bought, sold, beat, raped, and killed their slaves. You aren't supposed to sympathize with them. Thus, Jamie Foxx's joke was not offensive. Y'all act like he said he was going to kill John Boehner and Eric Cantor.

Meanwhile, Limbaugh does routinely attack actual people - and republicans tell us that he's their most important voice. If the GOP didn't routinely do so, he'd just be some guy who is angry that being a straight white guy doesn't mean that he's the top of society anymore.
You can't get away with that. I a previous post I said it would still be off, but more passable if Foxx said I kill all the slave owners. He did not, he said simply I kill all the white people in the film how great is that? If he said I kill all the people who try to harm my family or what ever, it was a bad joke and not funny and you can apologies all day long you just cant get there from here without looking like an idiot. As I said before, if you give a pass to Foxx then Nugent was just joking by telling Obama you punk suck on this and holding up an AR. You can't have it both ways and people like you hurt the cause with your hypocrisy. I guess Micheal Richards was just joking then. We should call him and apologize for raking him over the coals. Sorry Micheal, you were just making a funny.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times
FTR, I cannot stand Bill Maher, Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews. I think they are as bad as their conservative counterparts.

Now, on to Mr. Foxx...he was talking about the character in his movie who is a SLAVE owned by WHITE PEOPLE. Is it racist and/or that far of a jump to believe a slave would want to kill white people? IMO, he was talking from the slave's POV. If it's been proven otherwise, please show me. I'm on the fence. I certainly don't feel offended or threatened by his words and I'm a white woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies