Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What we see here is what we expect to see. Far right wingers - driven by hatred, feelings of inadequacy, extreme selfishness, etc - take a problem that actually does exist and should be addressed, then attempt to inflate the severity of said problem by lying and painting with an ever broader brush. Not satisfied with reality, they start labeling retirees, the actually disabled, the working poor, etc as "worthless losers" in order to inflate the numbers. Then, of course, they feign outrage and pretend that isn't what they're doing.
Look everyone! A lie! How many years has the right been pushing this lie now? Repeating it over and over doesn't magically make it true.
Except no one on this thread has labeled "retirees, the actually disabled, the working poor, etc." as worthless, useless, or otherwise. This is a lie made up by you and perpetuated by you to further a point that you simply can't make without telling that lie.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're wrong. We simply want these people to get up off their asses and go to work. Pretty simple concept, really. So why don't you understand?
Most people do work. In fact the number of citizens who have never worked in their lives is minuscule.

None of that has anything to do with conservatives wanting people classified as losers who are beyond help.

Once this idea is widely accepted about millions and millions of fellow citizens and the government is then allowed or told to consider citizens as worthless then you no longer have a democracy.

conservatism is fundamentally anti-democratic.

In a democracy every citizen has worth within that society because they are a member of that democracy that recognizes their citizenship and that they have political interests.

What you are suggesting is the opposite of that idea but that is consistent with conservative ideology.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Most people do work. In fact the number of citizens who have never worked in their lives is minuscule.

None of that has anything to do with conservatives wanting people classified as losers who are beyond help.

Once this idea is widely accepted about millions and millions of fellow citizens and the government is then allowed or told to consider citizens as worthless then you no longer have a democracy.

conservatism is fundamentally anti-democratic.

In a democracy every citizen has worth within that society because they are a member of that democracy that recognizes their citizenship and that they have political interests.

What you are suggesting is the opposite of that idea but that is consistent with conservative ideology.
In America, worth directly correlates to the amount of output one accomplishes in a lifetime. In other words, getting a job, holding a job, advancing in a job, and retiring from a job. Using your logic, output is wholly irrelevant, and that just the simple existence of a person is enough to justify covering their every need through the social safety net.

I fundamentally disagree with your ideology.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What we see here is what we expect to see. Far right wingers - driven by hatred, feelings of inadequacy, extreme selfishness, etc - take a problem that actually does exist and should be addressed, then attempt to inflate the severity of said problem by lying and painting with an ever broader brush. Not satisfied with reality, they start labeling retirees, the actually disabled, the working poor, etc as "worthless losers" in order to inflate the numbers. Then, of course, they feign outrage and pretend that isn't what they're doing.
Look everyone! A lie! How many years has the right been pushing this lie now? Repeating it over and over doesn't magically make it true.
I disagree. It isn't a real problem that millions of people are irredeemable losers.

And it certainly isn't a problem that the government needs to start deciding which citizens are irredeemable losers who they can treat as non citizens and ignore.

Such thinking is merely reflective of one's warped understanding of human behavior. That doesn't equal a real problem.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
In America, worth directly correlates to the amount of output one accomplishes in a lifetime. In other words, getting a job, holding a job, advancing in a job, and retiring from a job. Using your logic, output is wholly irrelevant, and that just the simple existence of a person is enough to justify covering their every need through the social safety net.

I fundamentally disagree with your ideology.
No, in a democracy worth is decided by being a citizen of that society. The society recognizes your worth as a citizen within that society and recognizes your political interests.

Anything else is not democracy. You can be a very very very poor person in this nation, but you still have your rights as a citizen and to an extent the governement has to contend with your political and social needs.

You don't disagree with me, you disagree with the idea of democracy.

Which is all I have said conservatism is anti-democratic.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
America is absolutely chock -full of losers and deadbeats who'd rather not lift a finger to help themselves and instead rely on the American taxpayer to care for their every need, including food, housing, cell phones, medical care, etc.

Whenever these losers and otherwise useless people are mentioned by conservatives, the first to come to their defense is liberals with a myriad of excuses as to why we shoud all be caring, empathetic, and sympathetic citizens who willingly support the Social Safety Net Juggernaut™.

Hardly ever do we find a liberal who will forthrightly, and honestly, acknowledge that this country is full of deadbeat individuals who do not pay into the American system.

Why is this? Why is it that liberals won't for a moment acknowledge that YES there are millions upon millions of people in this country who are perpetual bad decision-makers and have no desire, will, or ability to change their worthless existence?

Who amongst you will stand up and defend America for once instead of defending the Lowest Common Denominator that's sucking your wallet dry without an ounce of remorse?
There are no "worthless" people. There is a small minority of people who could be characterized as being "perpetual bad decision-makers and [with] no desire, will, or ability to change." That minority does not characterize all those in need of assistance who can be benefited by a Social Safety Net. It will also not stop me from assisting those that I can. I volunteer at a Food Bank where I see all kinds of people. Some are easier to empathize with then others.

I would hope that the willingness to help those in need was viewed as a positive American value.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
No, in a democracy worth is decided by being a citizen of that society. The society recognizes your worth as a citizen within that society and recognizes your political interests.

Anything else is not democracy. You can be a very very very poor person in this nation, but you still have your rights as a citizen and to an extent the governement has to contend with your political and social needs.

You don't disagree with me, you disagree with the idea of democracy.

Which is all I have said conservatism is anti-democratic.
Who said anything about "rights?" And where is it written in the Constitution that you have a " right" to access to a robust entitlement system? For that matter, where is it written in LAW that you have a "right" to access a robust entitlement system? It's not written anywhere, and like any other law in place, it can be repealed and replaced without as much of one breath of approval from you or anyone else. Just because the system exists doesn't mean a "right" has been bestowed upon you.

You clearly have an ignorant view of what "rights' we actually have in this "democracy" that you keep touting.

Are you doing this on purpose, or do you really not understand?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
I don't care about your ranting about your earnings or taxes which are small issues.

Here is my only suggestion if you want to be free from taxation go live in a society that doesn't collect taxes.

You live in a nation that taxes and has collected taxes and will continue to collect taxes.

You live in that nation. Now having gotten the obvious out of the way.

conservatives don't give a damn about taxes. conservatives fundamentally want the government to classify people as losers who are beyond help.

This is the key, because once millions of people are considered non citizens by the government then their political and social needs will be ignored, they will be ignored.

This is fundamentally dangerous and anti-democratic.
It is obvious you don't care about stealing other folks money. That is what liberals do best. Who said anything about be free from taxation? Not me. I'm just tired of seeing my tax dollars wasted. You need to show me a bill that is trying to strip citizenship from people deemed to be "losers" or put a cork in it. So your entire argument is based on your presumption that conservatives think people are losers. Well quite frankly if the shoe fits.............

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Absolutely! It's a 2 way street!
YEs, and I need a win over RGIII from your Browns. I need a fired up Dog Pound!!

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So the government should force Walmart to pay higher wages? Just Walmart or everybody? My son just go hired at the local grocery store to sack groceries. He's sixteen. Should he get paid $20 an hour because that is what something like that would entail. Maybe folks need to move up from being a cashier? Or if your happy being a cashier for life then don't have a family and live in a one room apartment and pay for yourself? That is what it comes down to be responsible for yourself. I would rather see the money handed to folk go towards job training and the like. Get em outta of that crap job if they want to. How many would sign up and actually put in the time and effort to go to work and then go to class or what have you after work? I doubt many because they could do it now but choose not to.

Byner's fumble will haunt Marty to his grave. LOL. In KC we have Lin Elliott and his three missed field goals in '85 against Indy or the champ game in Buffalo in '93 when Montana tossed a pick right before halftime as we were going in to score then got knocked out. The man who preached no turnovers was snakebit. Hey if Balt was in Cleveland still you'd have Flacco running the ship and an old defense falling apart. Don't look back look foreward as Obama says. lol

Of course the government shouldn't force anyone to pay higher wages. Bloated government is also to blame for the crap that we're in. I don't disagree with throwing money at programs that go toward job training. The problem is, the lack of jobs. People are sold the pipe dream that college is the end all be all, and that everyone can be a doctor, or a lawyer, or CEO, in which you and I know is BS! So we have a lack of jobs, and college students burdened with student loan that they have to payoff, and unfortunately the only jobs are service industry jobs. Like I said, I don't have all of the answers, but I do feel it's ridiculous that a company like Walmart reaps in sick amounts of profit, and pays their employees crap, so that they have to receive benefits. That makes them an enabler. In fact, there was a time where Walmart was a job for high school and college kids, or a part time job for let's say a mother who wanted to work evenings for extra cash. At any rate, if we don't get a lid on our economic issues, and figure out how to stop bleeding good paying jobs overseas in this country we are truly f***ed! What really needs to happen is get the government out of bed with the mega corps. Both parties pander to them, and are taken in by bribes. That isn't what our government was meant for. The politicians are supposed to represent ALL Americans, and not just those at the top.

As for the Browns, the only thing I'm looking forward to is new ownership restoring the team to it's winning ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies