Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL @ MTA!

I'm interested...where are the people who are un- or underemployed going to work?
I just finished watching Ken Burn's "Dust Bowl", and was sobered by the grim fact that many hard working productive people commited suicide when they could no longer provide for themselves. Many will not be able to adapt. Reality bites.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I concede that there are people who are completely unmotivated to function on their own. The problem is, most of the ones I've seen end up getting to a point where there's no going back. Some of them are frankly just too uneducated, too unskilled, too socially inept, too genetically challenged, and in some cases too mentally ill to take initiative to be autonomous.

The question is, what do we do with them? There comes a certain point at which an employer - any employer - wouldn't want to touch them. A lot of them might end up in jail. I'd rather have otherwise harmless people in their own rinky dink apartments living on section 8 than to alternate between street life and cell life every couple of months or years. I personally don't give a sh*t whether someone down the street is on welfare and plans to be for the next five years. I've got my own life to live. I don't think welfare is all that comfortable from what I've seen of it, and it shouldn't be, either. But I've got too much to do to worry about whether someone's misusing a tenth of a percent of my taxes that I pay each year.

I think conservatives just need to sit down and drink some beer and chill out with the hate. So some stooge gets a few unearned dimes at your expense...who cares? The people you bank with every day are a much greater threat to your economic welfare.

Naahh you don't want to give them alcohol. As you know alcohol can cause violent tendencies, especially when conversations get heated. I'd given 'em a joint! At any rate, you did hit on the one thing...the banks. They are huge reason as to why we're in this mess. I worked for one for over 7 years. It did not survive the bailouts, but it certainly contributed to the housing bubble, in buying up high risk portfolios, and writing high risk loans. It's too bad, because they were a Cleveland staple since 1845, and simply got too big for my britches IMO. In my last year there, with all of the extra quality control, and the constant harping and monitoring on employees, I saw the writing on the wall. Needless to say, I would never work for another bank again!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I just finished watching Ken Burn's "Dust Bowl", and was sobered by the grim fact that many hard working productive people commited suicide when they could no longer provide for themselves. Many will not be able to adapt. Reality bites.
Yeah, they were ashamed of that fact.
Not anymore...there is no shame even when the opportunities are so much greater than in that situation.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
No one should be ashamed to accept help.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one should be ashamed to accept help.
If they are truly in need and desperate.

They should be ashamed if they are able to work and refuse to do so.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyWren View Post
OMG! Is that the figures, 12 million unemployed and only 3 million available jobs?

If that's true, then I don't think what I posted in #234 will work very well. Actually I'm quite embarrassed by my little idea.

You know what, I cannot think in these kinds of numbers. Wow, this situation is just too big for me. I have no business even trying to participate in these discussions. I mean, $17,000,000,000,000 deficit, really? Do you see all those goddamn zeros? I live off $25K a year, I'm too simplistic for this and this is way out of my realm of thinking. I'll just read the thread from here on out.

All this anger and bitterness about lazy unemployed people and only 1/4 of them could go to work anyway. What are the remaining 9 million supposeed to do?
No, those are not the numbers. He's pulled those out of his ass. His assumption is that in optimal economic conditions, EVERY single person is employed. This is not true. "Full employment" is considered in the 4% unemployment range.

His simple mind and simple calculations won't allow him to consider these incovenient truths. That's why he keeps spouting them even after he's been told he's wrong.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Err no. Here are some numbers:

Unemployment in 1934 was at around 24%. That is the highest unemployment has ever been in modern times. Unemployment today is at 7.8%.

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...loyment%20rate

So you are complaing about at most 7.8% of the population if you mean people who have no job but are looking for one.

And I can think of no form of welfare that does not have limits in terms of time.

Food stamps perhaps but a lot of people who have a job or other aid qualify for them.

Sec 8 you can still be employed and get this.

You are assuming that anyone who gets public assistance is a worthless scum. However ah there are lots of people working or 65+ who get public assistance not to mention Children. How do you think a person making $8.25(in IL) can pay rent of $500-600 a month esp. if they have kids and many min. wage jobs do not like giving people 40 hours(was a major complaint and forced my mother on to welfare where thanks to public assistance she got a much better paying job). Not to mention how does overtime work for a single mother(who takes care of the kids?).

At 8.25 a month that makes $1320 before taxes(and yes poor people pay taxes, they just get it back at the end of the year so that $1320 isn't totally available). Even without the taxes if housing should not exceed 1/3 of your budget then the most someone who makes that little should pay is $440 a onth. Try finding that outside of roomates and adding kids to the equation even worse.

One of my relatives only got $800 a month for social security and had no other retiremnet income. How on earth is someone like that going to afford anything without some aid.
You wrote all that just to demonstrate that you didn't comprehend the OP? NO ONE has said that the elderly or the children or the disabled are worthless scum. So why are you bringing them into the discussion? Like your liberal brethren, it would be really nice if you stopped deflecting by discussing issues that have nothing to do with the OP.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Well I think the truth is in the pudding so to speak and worthless "losers" will be eliminated from society soon. I was chatting with a liberal east Canadian yesterday about survival and that how he and his wife are amazed at the lack of basic skills most people lack today and he went on to say that people who can't do basic things to help themselves should simply die....they deserve to die. Welcome to the new world order folks.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much do you expect a burger flipper to save?
"Burger flipper isn't making enough? Well nothing's stopping him from getting a Masters in Engineering from Harvard!!!"

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well I think the truth is in the pudding so to speak and worthless "losers" will be eliminated from society soon. I was chatting with a liberal east Canadian yesterday about survival and that how he and his wife are amazed at the lack of basic skills most people lack today and he went on to say that people who can't do basic things to help themselves should simply die....they deserve to die. Welcome to the new world order folks.
That's heartwarming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies