Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times

Advertisements

[quote=Icy Tea;27323580]I'm of the opinion that going over the fiscal cliff is a necessity both sides accept and they're just orchestrating a play where they can both blame the other guy for whose fault it was.
I'd say that we could always vote them out of office for doing such a crappy job but voting is pretty much irrelevant now, the results are pre determined. Wake up you people, they no longer fear us.... we can't vote them out of office.[/quote]

Excellent point.
They no longer fear us because they (and their henchmen--the media and corporate interests) have done a masterful job of creating unwavering fealty to either party by the drooling masses.
I am no libertarian, but I wholeheartedly support any third-party movement that can create unease in the dolts "running" the show in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM

990 posts, read 939,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Members of Congress do not compromise because, somewhere along the line, compromising was erroneously equated with weakness. Congress, like much of the American population, act like petulant children who kick and scream when they don't get their way. Hysteria over recent elections and failure of "talks" to better the nation by agreeing a budget are two vivid illustrations of the state of partisan politics which have overtaken political discourse in this country. If people want to place the blame on what's "happening" to our country, I would suggest starting there.
I agree with you once again...unfortunately I cannot rep you.
One of my all-time favorite politicans is Bob Dole, he was a man who put partisanship aside to stand for what he felt was right. And what he felt was right wasn't the same HORRIBLE stuff that Boehner thinks is right. Greed wasn't his motivation, strengthening America was. If only Dole had been nominated in 2000 instead of 1996, maybe this country would be different.

Or if we simply kept political parties out of elections. Parties could serve as support for candidates, but no candidate could declare a party affiliation, that may bring partisanship down a bit. However, as long as we allow the lowest common denominator to decide elections, our Congress will continue to be made up of morons and jerks.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM

691 posts, read 771,302 times
I got your compromise.

Roll back spending to the Clinton levels and use any increased taxes to pay down the debt.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Tax revenue needs to increase in some way and spending needs to be cut as well.
Why don't the Republicans meet the Democrats in the middle and increase the top bracket by half the amount the Democrats want?
Why don't the Democrats just agree to raising the Social Security and Medicare starting ages by 2 years?
Why don't the Republicans agree to cutting the Defense budget while the Democrats agree to add more incentives to get off of food stamps and welfare?

These problems our nation faces are really not that difficult. If we had mature, intelligent people in Congress, we'd be thriving financially right now. All it would take is a compromise.

Is compromise such a bad word these days? Are people so blindly partisan that they can't accept anything that someone on the other party would accept?

And don't even get me started on the Senate and the self-filibustering that goes on there!

What are you talking about? Congress couldn't be more compromised. They've been collectively destroying the American Republic since the day I was born .... and that takes a lot of compromising.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Tax revenue needs to increase in some way and spending needs to be cut as well.
Why don't the Republicans meet the Democrats in the middle and increase the top bracket by half the amount the Democrats want?
Why don't the Democrats just agree to raising the Social Security and Medicare starting ages by 2 years?
Why don't the Republicans agree to cutting the Defense budget while the Democrats agree to add more incentives to get off of food stamps and welfare?

These problems our nation faces are really not that difficult. If we had mature, intelligent people in Congress, we'd be thriving financially right now. All it would take is a compromise.

Is compromise such a bad word these days? Are people so blindly partisan that they can't accept anything that someone on the other party would accept?

And don't even get me started on the Senate and the self-filibustering that goes on there!
We did compromise. It's in legislation properly known as "the fiscal cliff."

Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Members of Congress do not compromise because, somewhere along the line, compromising was erroneously equated with weakness. Congress, like much of the American population, act like petulant children who kick and scream when they don't get their way. Hysteria over recent elections and failure of "talks" to better the nation by agreeing a budget are two vivid illustrations of the state of partisan politics which have overtaken political discourse in this country. If people want to place the blame on what's "happening" to our country, I would suggest starting there.
Compromising is not about pride, it's about whether or not the compromise makes any sense.

Obama wants his pound of flesh on "the rich" and he wants to blow out the national debt and spend, spend, and spend. What compromise is there in a deal where he gets his spending and his pound of flesh, with the option of looking at lowering federal spending, maybe, possibly some time in a few years or so?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I expect that once again, House Republicans will cave and give Obama and Reid everything they want. They have been pretty spineless the last 2 years. Increase taxes and increase spending even more...the story of DC. Obama will probably get to blow billions on another failed stimulus, pay off campaign doners and do do nothing to address the pending collapse of Social Security and Medicare, leaving those issues to his successor. Oh, and I predict another $1 Trillion dollar deficit this year, the 5th one in a row.
As long as the mean things the Beltway news columnists might write about them, is enough to get their knees to wobble, we will never see a Republican congress that actually works for the people. The Republicans just need to do what is right, and take the slings and arrows, while properly justifying their principled reasons for doing so.

The Democrats have no fear of what the media will say about them, because the media is always on their side of every issue. Democrats don't even need to justify their reasons for what they say, or why they do something, the media will carry their water for them.

Even if the Democrat's current side of the issue was tarred and feathered as being bad for America, four years ago, the media will be happy with it if the Democrats are on on the same exact side of that issue today. Deficits, freedom, war, taxes, debt, poverty, whatever the issue, whichever side of the issue the Democrats are on, it's just a step away from suddenly being just fine with the media.

Last edited by OICU812; 12-13-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,681 times
I'd love it if we disbanded both political parties and instead of running the parties we actually run a candidate. An individual with his/her own ideas and not towing the party line, I'd love it if we had more 3rd party candidates and I think during the next presidential election we will have that as I believe both the libertarian and Green party have received enough votes to qualify for federal funding. Another thing I'd like to do is get rid of private donors and instead publicly fund the elections for 3 months instead of this long and expensively drawn out Pi$$ing contest we have now.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
What are you talking about? Congress couldn't be more compromised. They've been collectively destroying the American Republic since the day I was born .... and that takes a lot of compromising.

Yep. They've compromised to divide and conqueor. And WE the people are buying into it!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Bascially for the same reason they created the cliff nthe first place;they need cover because of the number of interest groups that are going to scream.We pretty well know what is needed by just by the findings of the Simposn?Bowles commission.Its the cuts to v bring it to sustainable levels and maintai it that is the real difficulty .I can just ehar the creamign as people feel the effects on jobs and servies they are use to as well as local and state money loss and have to be made up for if the want the service.

Last edited by texdav; 12-13-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies