Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 5,714,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Obama is against increase in tax cuts to incomes below $250K. Republicans are the ones opposed to the idea, unless incomes above $250K are also protected.
The day is coming where 35K will be the new 250K. Look at the new rates in Greece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
The day is coming where 35K will be the new 250K. Look at the new rates in Greece.
Thanks Ms Cleo.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
See above.
Plug $70,000 under Clinton and $102,000 today. You used constant dollars. The standard deduction and personal exception are indexed do you need to index the wages also.

The difference is even greater. Add a couple kids and another $1000 is added to the tax bill. Bush doubled the refundable child tax credit.

For years you have cried that the Bush tax cuts benefitted the rich. When discussing deficits you've argued that Clinton balanced the budget and Bush gave the money away to his rich cronies. You have argued in this forum that the rates should return to the Clinton rates.

Now that the possibility of returning to those rates of yesterday is a reality they are suddenly too high. You are all so intellectually dishonest it's scary.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Plug $70,000 under Clinton and $102,000 today. You used constant dollars. The standard deduction and personal exception are indexed do you need to index the wages also.

The difference is even greater. Add a couple kids and another $1000 is added to the tax bill. Bush doubled the refundable child tax credit.
So, now entering the obligatory ditto-headedness. What you suggest here is also addressed in the debunking by Tax Foundation of the mythical chain email math linked earlier:

"Furthermore, the comparisons are exaggerated by the fact that annual inflation adjustments in the tax code would have lowered tax bills in 2008 relative to 1999 under a constant nominal income amount."

Quote:
For years you have cried that the Bush tax cuts benefitted the rich.
I still call it that. You've got a problem with that? Show me how it benefited the income groups whose wages have declined since.

Quote:
When discussing deficits you've argued that Clinton balanced the budget and Bush gave the money away to his rich cronies. You have argued in this forum that the rates should return to the Clinton rates.
Correct.

Quote:
Now that the possibility of returning to those rates of yesterday is a reality they are suddenly too high. You are all so intellectually dishonest it's scary.
Tell me what you perceive to be dishonest, so I can put your incompetence to rest.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in delay for something that will never happen. Just show me an estimate. I'm curious and especially consider one of many gems posted by you such as this:

PS. I see you edited the post following my response. So, let us look at it:
In other words, you're doing the same math that Tax Foundation debunked five years ago.

"Recently an incorrect comparison of income taxes under Presidents Clinton and Bush has been making the rounds of the internet, showing up in forwarded e-mails and on numerous blogs and message boards."

Comparing Income Taxes under Bill Clinton and George Bush

Is there no life in republicanism beyond reliance on chain emails and letters?

And, for obvious reasons, you've no issue with this (and the feeling is mutual)...

BUT... if your tears are more than those that belong on a crocodile, educate self on a simple fact: Obama wants to keep Bush tax rates under $250K incomes.
I dug up actual tax rates, exemptions and deductions and did the math. Seems like you spend lots of time reading chain emails. Can you actually counter the numbers? It's pretty simple math, guy. Let me know if I can explain it to you.

Quote:
See above.
See above. Try doing the work yourself, not pointing to a liberal blog that didn't show any math to support their calculations. And still showed a difference of $1,664 for a (presumably gross, they didn't tell us) combined income of $75K.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I dug up actual tax rates, exemptions and deductions and did the math. Seems like you spend lots of time reading chain emails. Can you actually counter the numbers? It's pretty simple math, guy. Let me know if I can explain it to you.
1-Do you agree with the Tax Foundation debunking similar "actual rates"?
2-Do you think republicans should not hold tax rates for 99% hostage so they can protect that for top 1%? Why?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM

88,780 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
higher ER charges AND higher charge for everything else as well which also affects insurance premiums.
Yep, but all of that is NOT more costly for those who DON'T have to pay. Who is that?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep, but all of that is NOT more costly for those who DON'T have to pay. Who is that?
People who don't pay versus who pays for them was the issue being addressed. Some of you seem to assume they operate in their own isolated universes.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
The day is coming where 35K will be the new 250K.
Yep. It's called the AMT.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
People who don't pay versus who pays for them was the issue being addressed.
Are you somehow under the entirely false impression that everyone pays under ObamaCare? How is it even possible that you believe that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies