Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,024,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why should he be fired? It's his opinion folks can challenge it if they like. I don't understand when offering a controversial opinion in the public sphere became a dismissable offense.
I only said that because others have been fired for much less at that network. If they are going to do what they do, be fair and consistent about it.

I still believe in this instance, it was racist. As you can hear, to some black people and some on the left, if you dare live and think and talk like RG3, youre basically a traitor, not authentic, and an uncle tom.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
I don't think Rob Parker should be fired, even for the sake of consistency....He should just be called an idiot for hitting the bottom of his logic stack on the argument and just call it a day and move on.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM

All of this was in response to RGIII’s comments that “For me, you don’t ever want to be defined by the color of your skin. You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That’s what I’ve tried to go out and do. I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don’t have to be defined by that.”

He continued, “”I am aware how much race is relevant to [black Redskins fans]. I don’t ignore it. I try not to be defined by it. But I understand different perspectives and how people view different things. I understand that they’re excited that their quarterback is an African-American. I play with a lot of pride, a lot of character, a lot of heart. I understand that. I appreciate them for being fans and not just fans because they’re African-Americans.”

I hate the Skins. But I have a lot of respect for how this man carries himself. Others, black white whatever, should follow in his shoes. Especially those in our society, many being in Hollywood/media, want to be defined more by their race and much of what they do revolves around the color of their skin, vice anything else. Good on RG3 and many can learn from him. Sadly to say, many on the left and the biggest voice in the black community could learn the most if they took a cue from him.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
All of this was in response to RGIII’s comments that “For me, you don’t ever want to be defined by the color of your skin. You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That’s what I’ve tried to go out and do. I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don’t have to be defined by that.”

He continued, “”I am aware how much race is relevant to [black Redskins fans]. I don’t ignore it. I try not to be defined by it. But I understand different perspectives and how people view different things. I understand that they’re excited that their quarterback is an African-American. I play with a lot of pride, a lot of character, a lot of heart. I understand that. I appreciate them for being fans and not just fans because they’re African-Americans.”

I hate the Skins. But I have a lot of respect for how this man carries himself. Others, black white whatever, should follow in his shoes. Especially those in our society, many being in Hollywood/media, want to be defined more by their race and much of what they do revolves around the color of their skin, vice anything else. Good on RG3 and many can learn from him. Sadly to say, many on the left and the biggest voice in the black community could learn the most if they took a cue from him.
Yea, and one issue I had with Stephen A. Smith on this incident is that Stephen A.Smith did in fact accuse RG3 (to paraphrase) of trying to appease the White Man and that he doesn't need to that.

I don't agree with that at all... Smith was very transparent in that comment. There is no problem with RG3 standing up for his values. Smith doesn't have to agree with him, but Smith kind of tore down what he said previous to that.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
We're all supposed to be part of a certain mold and act accordingly. Tebow was hated for acting outside of the established norm and now this guy is. You can get away with a lot of bad behavior ( dog fighting, spousal abuse, drinking, weapons violations, poor sportsmanship, drug use, rape, assault, reckless driving and accidents) but being yourself is just too much. If he likes who he is he should ignore morons who think he has to act a certain way to be black. As much as I dislike the Redskins( more their pencil neck fans) I'll give them credit for having this guy on their team. I wrote them off as complete imbeciles when they signed Donovan Macnabb. Of course then the Eagles did one better and signed Michael Vick. Oh well, at least the Cowboys still have Romo so we're not alone in bad signings.
And just how lame are those Lebron James commercials? He's got a zero persona for commercials. There's no personality there.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,466,434 times
This guy is an idiot. You cannot quantify how black a black person is from their actions. Only the ignorant do this. Yes there are ignorant black folks that think you are only as black as you act. Fortunately, they are in the minority. They are loud, but still in the minority.

And yes, this comes from a black man that's been called an oreo or an uncle tom more than enough times.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Still on the job. And his response on twitter to people who called him out? He says we are silly and uneducated

Rob Parker thinks his critics are “uneducated” and “silly” | ProFootballTalk

Double standard lets him keep his job

Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
Where are all the black poster's comments about this? Me being a Jewish white boy, I dont' have much to say.

Then again, I thought some of you were men when you were women, some black when white, some white when black etc.

I try my best to conceal identity between us, but sometimes I go too far.

(I'm a crotchety, sarcastic Jewish white guy if you haven't figured that out by now).

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,452,584 times
if i was the white guy, i would have said " so, having a white mother makes you not down with the cause" he would have said yes, they i would have said " so obama is not really black, he does have light skin?'

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM

14,941 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't think Rob Parker should be fired, even for the sake of consistency....He should just be called an idiot for hitting the bottom of his logic stack on the argument and just call it a day and move on.
For the sake of consistency? Consistency of what? Being a society for whom grown adults behave like 2 year olds ? Nonsense .... nobody should be fired for such an innocuous statement that may reflect a lower level of wisdom, resulting in a poor choice of words, but that is not racism, which should be confined to statements and actions intended to cause harm, or is otherwise hostile toward a particular race. One has to consider that while there are those in this world who lack the skills of diplomatic dialog which may result in offending some people ... one can also say that we have just as many people who are overly sensitive and too easily offended. If we fired everyone who offended anyone, the unemployment rate would probably be 80%. Think that might be an over-reaction?

As a Redskin fan who attended his first game when Sonny Jurgensen was the Redskin QB, I've followed RGIII quite closely, and I can say without a moment's hesitation that Robert is atypical of a 22 year old black man. {GASP} ... and at the same time, he is ALSO atypical of any 22 year old of any color, and most particularly of professional football players. There's a lot of white and black football players in the NFL who couldn't be confused with rocket scientists, and that's just the hard cold truth ... so is that too racism? Or is it just an honest statement?

As for RGIII, as phenomenal and astounding as is his athletic ability, this kid blows my mind with his level of maturity and intelligence ... frankly ... he's a heck of a lot more mature than many men far senior in age. Not only does the kid possess a highly advanced football intelligence, but a similar grasp of wisdom and quick wit to handle the massive media bombardment that has surrounded his early career, which is still in it's infancy. And the media is always prodding for inappropriate comments ... always baiting and fishing .. looking to manufacture a controversy or create a side story. It's what they do ... and they've attempted that on more than one occasion with the young RG3, for which he detects immediately and handles with effortless style and humor (while letting them know he knows what they are trying to do). Few kids (or even veteran players) of any color possess that type of sly wit. I find the kid astronomically AWESOME, and I think his parents should be petitioned to write a book on parenting that should be established as a national guideline... as they obviously must be credited with having considerable influence on the remarkable results. (remove the department of education and Michelle Obama from the equation)

A similar childishness emerged around a comment a teammate made referring to RG3 as the "Black Jesus", as some found offense, when the reality is, to a Redskin team which has had 21 different QBs in 20 years, and have struggled for years, RG3 has been a savior of sorts, who has singlehandedly restored legitimacy and excitement to the Redskins and their fans, and has literally taken the NFL by storm.

Heck, even the team name "Redskins" has been under attack from certain native American groups for years .. and while I am part native American myself, I find such fussing much ado about nothing. People just need to grow up .. quite acting like children arguing on the playground, and file stupid comments away as the inevitable, useless blather for which the media is renown.

In short, let's all get over ourselves, and realize if someone is mad or offended by other's comments for more than 5 seconds ... they apparently want to be offended. And if they want to be, they will find a reason to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.