Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who the hell is "we"? Those people are all dead now. How the hell are we responsible for the actions of our ancestors? My ancestors didn't even come here until well after the native indian conflicts anyway and after this country was established as the USA. Or am I guilty by skin color anyway?

You're the racist with the remarks you made in your last two paragraphs. Look in the mirror!

So it is racist to object to illegal immigration that dilutes or erases our culture, language and identity as a nation? I guess every other country in the world is racist also then since none of them including Mexico would welcome an illegal invasion of their country and rightly so.
How has illegal immigrants, the 62% of illegals I assume you are referring to, diluted or erased your culture? Did your ancestors diluted or erase the culture when they migrated here or is this just cause you don't like the Mexican culture? Does the Asian culture dilute or erase your culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So hou have no proof of 3rd generation Hispanics not knowing English? That figures. You also missed my point, the Polish here speak their primary language all the time and it isn't an issue, but for some reason it is an issue for you when Hispanics speak Spanish. Does it bother you when you hear people from Europe speaking their primary language in this country or is this only a Hispanic problem for you?
Like I've posted. I've adapted and adjusted.
I grew up in NYC where it was common to hear a multitude of languages spoken by people among themselves. But in doing business, people spoke English.

I see segregation happening because of it. It's not rampant but it exists.
I just take my business elsewhere as there's still plenty of English speaking businesses.

What proof do you want ? A link to a Huffpost article perhaps ?
I'm in the schools. I talk to the kids and parents. They talk to me. Teachers talk among themselves about what is going on.

Life is different in different parts of the country and even urban vs rural.
The closer to the border you live, the more chances you'll be exposed to the various degrees of immigrants.

It's not the Disney version of "It's a Small World".

Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like I've posted. I've adapted and adjusted.
I grew up in NYC where it was common to hear a multitude of languages spoken by people among themselves. But in doing business, people spoke English.

I see segregation happening because of it. It's not rampant but it exists.
I just take my business elsewhere as there's still plenty of English speaking businesses.

What proof do you want ? A link to a Huffpost article perhaps ?
I'm in the schools. I talk to the kids and parents. They talk to me. Teachers talk among themselves about what is going on.

Life is different in different parts of the country and even urban vs rural.
The closer to the border you live, the more chances you'll be exposed to the various degrees of immigrants.

It's not the Disney version of "It's a Small World".
So your issue is Mexicans, not all immigrants or even all illegal immigrants....also something would be nice to help prove your claim that there are 3rd generation Mexicans who don't know a word of English, that would mean three generations would of had to live in the country.

If it bothers you to be around Mexicans that much, maybe you are living in the wrong part of the country.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
So your issue is Mexicans, not all immigrants or even all illegal immigrants....also something would be nice to help prove your claim that there are 3rd generation Mexicans who don't know a word of English, that would mean three generations would of had to live in the country.

If it bothers you to be around Mexicans that much, maybe you are living in the wrong part of the country.
You're going to twist my words to suite your opinion.

I was saying that Mexicans are practicing multiculturalism and by doing that segregating themselves into their own secluded communities. That was never the intent of the United States, was it ?

How exposed are you to poverty ? You've never seen a 30 year old "grandmother" ?
You have kids having kids and both being raised by "grandma" who may not speak any English.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
You're going to twist my words to suite your opinion.

I was saying that Mexicans are practicing multiculturalism and by doing that segregating themselves into their own secluded communities. That was never the intent of the United States, was it ?

How exposed are you to poverty ? You've never seen a 30 year old "grandmother" ?
You have kids having kids and both being raised by "grandma" who may not speak any English.
Poverty knows no race, it can be found in all races in this country. Same goes for segregation. We have English speaking people segregated from English speaking people in our country.

So again, I don't see your point with this when it comes to Mexicans. Are you saying we only have segregation with those that don't speak English? Are you saying being a 30 yr old grandmother is a Mexican issue?

Also, don't we live in a multicultural country?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Poverty knows no race, it can be found in all races in this country. Same goes for segregation. We have English speaking people segregated from English speaking people in our country.

So again, I don't see your point with this when it comes to Mexicans. Are you saying we only have segregation with those that don't speak English? Are you saying being a 30 yr old grandmother is a Mexican issue?

Also, don't we live in a multicultural country?
Isn't the topic of this thread about when we will have a majority speaking Spanish in the US ?
Are we not allowed to voice our opinions ?

In this case I was giving you Hispanic examples because this thread is about speaking Spanish.

Eventually what is happening in the border states will work its way up north.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Isn't the topic of this thread about when we will have a majority speaking Spanish in the US ?

In this case I was giving you Hispanic examples because this thread is about speaking Spanish.

The problem with all of this is there is little proof that is true and there is little facts to back these claims up. So yes you are allowed to voice you opinion as much as I am allowed to question that opinion.

We will always be a country that is primarily speaking English over any other language. Has their been an increase of people who speaks Spanish as their primary language? Sure, will that over take the country making the majority of the country speak Spanish, no, no chance that will ever happen and there is nothing that really backs up that claim.

So this comes back to the root problem which is the blatant issue some posters seem to have with Mexicans.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:

It already has.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It already has.
What has? there are Hispanics living in just about every state or that the majority of the country speaks Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies