Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,997,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Sure you can, happens all the time. Every bridge has a weight limit, for safety reasons, if you have a vehicle that is too heavy you can't drive on it. This is just an expansion of the safety limitation. They think hybrids are a safety issue and don't want them on their roads.

If it actually passed I'm sure some latte drinking, Prius driving, liberal from WA would cross the border just to push the point and take it to court.
Care to explain the research that backs up this "safety limitation" claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,044,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There was a case a while back...a traveler is going from somewhere he could possess a handgun to somewhere he could, and traveling by plane (which is perfectly legal as long as it's declared and checked). His plane is diverted into NYC due to weather or a mechanical issue and he has to spend the night , then catch a flight the next day. When he tries to check the handgun for his new flight he was arrested for violating the cities gun laws.
Link, or you're making it up.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,288,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Link, or you're making it up.
Happy to oblige. I'll accept your apology.

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,997,176 times
Quote:
You would think so, wouldn't you? There was a case a while back...a traveler is going from somewhere he could possess a handgun to somewhere he could, and traveling by plane (which is perfectly legal as long as it's declared and checked). His plane is diverted into NYC due to weather or a mechanical issue and he has to spend the night , then catch a flight the next day. When he tries to check the handgun for his new flight he was arrested for violating the cities gun laws.

So, maybe we tweak the law a bit. You can drive your Prius through on the interstate. But if you stop to buy gas, or have a breakdown and it is towed off the freeway, you can be arrested and the car confiscated. Oh, and we're not going to put out any signs, it's up to the driver to know the laws in our city.
Technically it happened in New Jersey, not NYC.

He also technically knew he was flying through Newark and should of checked their laws on handguns as well if he was going to choose to fly with a gun....which honestly I can never understand those that think they need to have their gun where ever they go, but in the case of something like this there should be a way for someone who is flying and legally check their gun at one location be able to take it to their final destination. Whether it be leaving the gun at security of the connecting airport or what, there should be a clause in there for this. He was obviously arrested because there hasn't been an addition to the law to address this issue.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,498,354 times
Quote:
You would think so, wouldn't you? There was a case a while back...a traveler is going from somewhere he could possess a handgun to somewhere he could, and traveling by plane (which is perfectly legal as long as it's declared and checked). His plane is diverted into NYC due to weather or a mechanical issue and he has to spend the night , then catch a flight the next day. When he tries to check the handgun for his new flight he was arrested for violating the cities gun laws.

So, maybe we tweak the law a bit. You can drive your Prius through on the interstate. But if you stop to buy gas, or have a breakdown and it is towed off the freeway, you can be arrested and the car confiscated. Oh, and we're not going to put out any signs, it's up to the driver to know the laws in our city.
I imagine there are lawyers reading this thread who are drooling in anticipation. I hope your city has a good legal defense fund...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,396,999 times
Quote:

What do you think of this idea?
A local law that specifically prohibits the operation of hybrid motor vehicles would be preempted by federal and state laws. Federal and state agencies that have regulatory authority/jurisdiction over the manufacture, sale, and operation of motor vehicles have deemed hybrid vehicles acceptable for manufacture, sale, and operation. Cities have no authority over the operation of hybrid vehicles except in matters of how the roads are used by them, i.e. laws regulating speed limits, parking, etc.

[but those laws would apply to all vehicles of similar function regardless of how the vehicle is powered]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I imagine there are lawyers reading this thread who are drooling in anticipation. I hope your city has a good legal defense fund...
Like NYC? Or Chicago? Or DC? Unfortunately we're a much smaller city, but those big cities have established the precedence.

7,242 posts, read 7,874,679 times
Quote:
My city leaders are considering making hybrids illegal. Some are convinced that the batteries pose a fire hazzard, and the high voltages are a danger to first responders in the event of an accident. There would be a $3000 fine or jail time for driving one in city limits. And considering that a major interstate goes across the city, this could be quite the revenue source.

What do you think of this idea?
It's a half thought out reaction to a problem specific to one model which has already been fixed for free via a recall.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
A local law that specifically prohibits the operation of hybrid motor vehicles would be preempted by federal and state laws. Federal and state agencies that have regulatory authority/jurisdiction over the manufacture, sale, and operation of motor vehicles have deemed hybrid vehicles acceptable for manufacture, sale, and operation. Cities have no authority over the operation of hybrid vehicles except in matters of how the roads are used by them, i.e. laws regulating speed limits, parking, etc.

[but those laws would apply to all vehicles of similar function regardless of how the vehicle is powered]
Federal agencies also have similar authority over firearms. Yet cities routinely pass laws that are more restrictive than federal ones. So...given that, why are specific classes of vehicles not equally subject to local jurisdiction? There is considerable precedent even for motor vehicles. Some states don't allow tandem trailers (one vehicle pulling multiple trailers) while some do, there are no federal restrictions. I believe that vehicles with LNG and/or propane tanks over a certain size are banned in some places (tunnels specifically). So...if someone in my city thinks that hybrids pose a danger, why can't they restrict them?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,137,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I think its absolutely stupid and I don't think it will ever hold up in court.

well, NYC is making all sorts of things illegal there, and I dont see democrats or republicans screaming about that. dont know why it would be any different here in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies