Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It is illegal to drive in Florida without PIP & Comp and collision!
My son already has ins through the state bc no private insurance company covers Autism.
Hmm sell a car? Then how do you suppose I take my son to his 3 therapies 6 times a week after school, and how should my husband get to work??? We live in Florida where there is NO public transit!!!

And you are VERY uninformed and rude!
WRONG. DEAD WRONG. It is illegal to drive in Florida without Liability Coverage. Comp & Collision are only required if your car is financed.

Again, excuses, excuses, excuses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You demand a simplistic answer to a complex question. You're obviously a left-winger.

The simplest answer is YES.

You, of course, are not the least bit interested in a COMPLETE answer. \

Care to talk about tort reform, or is that above your pay scale?
Tort reform is part of the answer, but if you will google where total costs of healthcare go, it is virtually one of the smallest.

HOWEVER, as I've proposed on many, many healthcare threads, the answer to tort reform is to revise the "liability" operation in healthcare to a "workers compensation" type of system. Doctors, instead of payin $100,000 or more in professional liability premiums (and hospitals that pay millions), would pay into a "medical compensation" program. If someone were injured from a medical mistake they could expect corrective medical action to be paid 100%, or, if corrective action were not possible, they would receive compensatory damages only (a percentage of lost wages/earnings), not the "punitive" damages awarded in courts that typically average three times whatever the compensatory damages are.

Not only would that be less expensive for healthcare systems as a whole, it would (1) be non-profit, thereby removing 10-15% of the cost of professional liability insurance; (2) encourage reporting of medical errors as opposed to the cover-ups that occur in the health industry now--and that would give us much better statistical data to determine where doctors need more training and hospitals need operational changes; (3) make finding coverage at affordable rates more convenient for physicians since it would all come from ONE non-profit carrier and thereby lowering physicians overall expense outlay.

That's another advantage of a single payer health system. Physicians offices and hospitals would not need to know how to fill out paperwork for a half-dozen or more different insurance companies. It would all be the same for everybody, everywhere.

No getting around it, Big George, as the GAO has pointed out for fifteen or more years, a single national healthcare system is cheaper to run. And you never commented on the fact that administratively medicare only costs 3% of the dollars paid into it, when insurance companies typically run 20%-30% administrative costs. Lower costs and you can spread coverage out over more people. Add more people and require them to pay for their coverage, like your Minnesota plan, and you have more dollars in the system as well. Further, people will go to doctors when they get sick, instead of an emergency room which is out of sight more expensive than going to a doctor.

Less expensive, broader, fairer---that's what national healthcare would do. Remain where we are, and the nation will collapse in ten years or so---from FOR PROFIT HEALTHCARE.

I do believe the old quote, "you can fool some of the people all of time, and all of the people some of the time, but never all the people all of the time. When it comes to healthcare, George, you a dead in the center of the first group.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
WRONG. DEAD WRONG. It is illegal to drive in Florida without Liability Coverage. Comp & Collision are only required if your car is financed.

Again, excuses, excuses, excuses...
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
We never leased vehicles and always had comp & collision

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
If we drop cable, our phones, (which is not smart since we have kids), the water and electric and car insurance we would still not be able to afford it. Simple as that. My husband's employer ONLY offers united healthcare and NO other option. My husband had all sorts of budgets done and they all failed because we drive non stop, and our gas bill tops all others, and there isn't a damn thing than can change that.
We need HC that we can afford period, not the kind that makes us choose between living in a box or eat or have insurance!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Jeez, reading this thread gives me a headache......... glad I live in England!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I do not see any reason to keep private health insurance with its executive overhead and limitless profit in the business of exercising monopoly power to steal from all of us. We need good health care not private profits.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Jeez, reading this thread gives me a headache......... glad I live in England!
So am I.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I do believe the old quote, "you can fool some of the people all of time, and all of the people some of the time, but never all the people all of the time. When it comes to healthcare, George, you a dead in the center of the first group.
So all of your blithering obfuscation and non-answers aside, THIS is all you've got. Silly insults.

I'm speaking to a child.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
We never leased vehicles and always had comp & collision
Geez, do I have to spell out EVERYTHING for you?

This has NOTHING to do with LEASING a car!

Are you, or are you not, MAKING PAYMENTS on your cars?
If your cars are not paid for, you MUST pay comp & collision. That is a requirement of the BANK.

If your car is PAID FOR - in other words, you don't owe any money on it - you are allowed to carry Liability only.

No wonder you have so many financial problems!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If we drop cable, our phones, (which is not smart since we have kids), the water and electric and car insurance we would still not be able to afford it. Simple as that. My husband's employer ONLY offers united healthcare and NO other option. My husband had all sorts of budgets done and they all failed because we drive non stop, and our gas bill tops all others, and there isn't a damn thing than can change that.
We need HC that we can afford period, not the kind that makes us choose between living in a box or eat or have insurance!
Excuses, excuses, excuses...

What it comes down to is that you EXPECT to live at a certain level, regardless of your ability to do so. And all you can do is gripe and complain about the fact that you cannot afford the lifestyle you demand.

Excuses, excuses, excuses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies