Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
Harrold ISD- in my home state of TEXAS - has armed teachers on campus. I wouldn't be surprised if more districts follow suit.
.... This is not freedom.
This is insanity. Good god. Armed teachers. I've heard it all now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I'd rate anybody that thinks arming teachers in public schools would be a good way to lessen gun violence, as mildly retarded.
Your approach has failed...

Connecticut has all your dream laws on the books, this guy broke all of em...

Likely ruined by a life dictated to him by liberals that ruined his brain with ideology and some wonderful "happy pills" that were prescribed to cure the poor mans "condition"...

In typical INSANE liberal fashion you run to the almighty state to solve a problem the state created that you voted for...

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
lenin said this...."A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the people"

"Gun registration is not enough. Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." Janet Reno

"This year will go down in history. For the first time,
a civilised nation has full gun registration!
Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient,
and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler

we all understand the liberal (progressive fascist) point

take the guns away from the people so the government isnt affraid of the people revolting

Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
I can sympathize with your position but have to disagree with you on some counts.

Arming teachers may not be the way it ought to be in a civilized society, but the sad truth is that there are crazy people out there. To just maintain an idealistic "perfect world" stance is simply not reality. And it's sad, but it's how it is! Armed teachers don't have to be gun-slinging commandos or Rambos! And there are ways to have weapons available but secure.

The people that came and settled this country had to be armed, like it or not, much of the time. I'm sure they wished they didn't have to be, but they did. Right or wrong, like it or not, some situations require certain actions. They just do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
First of all, they are school teachers, not some gun-slinging commandos. Their job is not to be Rambo; it's to teach children. As such, when faced with a situation like this, most of them will not be in a position to react effectively.

Furthermore, in order for this to be even somewhat effective, it means that these teachers have to operate in a densely-populated kid zone with loaded weapons strapped to them at all times or sitting around somewhere close by. That is a situation ripe for accidents and circumstances for kids to get their hands on these things when someone lets down their guard for a minute. Not a great thing with six to thirteen year-olds.

Finally, we as a society should recognize that there is something truly demented going on if the only answer we can muster to gun violence is to arm everyone and live our daily civilian lives like we're in a combat zone. This is not the way that civilized nations operate.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
MYTH #1: More guns don’t lead to more murders

MYTH #2: The Second Amendment prohibits strict gun control.

MYTH #3: State-level gun controls haven’t worked

MYTH #4: We only need better enforcement of the laws we have, not new laws.

MYTH #5: Sensible gun regulation is prohibitively unpopular.

Further explanation of each lie can be found at the link:

Five Lies The Gun Lobby Tells You | ThinkProgress
Can you think for yourself or do you just let "Them" do it for you???

Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There are poor mental health services in the U.S----that's one factor.

Community mental health resources are poorly funded and over-whelmed. All those people who want to cut back on social services might want to take a second look at that.

Even people with health insurance, it doesn't always cover mental health services.
So let me get this straight. The problem is we have poor mental health facilities that are turning these crazies out into the streets without proper care or medication? I've heard this on a few threads. So ok lets say that is the problem. We had a guy a while back eat another person's face off. We got folks walking into school's and theater's unloading on folks. We got batsheet nutjobs running loose all over because, as you say, they aren't being cared for properly. Knowing all this and the answer by the left is to take away the means the public has to defend themselves against these crazy nuts running all over the country? That is the answer? Only in the mind of a liberal could they come to this type of conclusion. Hey lets make it easier for these lunatics to feed on the public.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think one reason this is actually more common in suburban types is because mental problems are more likely going to covered up with drugs.

If a black child misbehaves in class and won't sit still he's off the hook, teachers wouldn't expect a black child to sit still for hours on end and tolerate much boredom. If a white suburban kind of kid can't sit still, he's going to be drugged. His parents can't accept a less than perfect child so when a teacher complains, off the kid goes to a psychiatrist and a whole plethora of mind-altering drugs.

These drugs can alter brain chemistry but they can also cover up symptoms and be used on mis-diagnoses.
Yup. My first thought this morning - drugs.

I guarantee we'll find out this kid was on drugs/medication of some sort. Reports were he had a form of autism. Brother says he had mental problems. The guy that shot Gabi Giffords was schizo and had a history of drug use - not medication, but marijuana and other crap - which is brain altering, especially in young people. I have a relative who played with marijuana and other drugs in his mid-late 20s. Fried his brain. In his 70s now. Hasn't had a productive year since his early 30s. Pretty much a vegetable, now. Bad stuff.

This kid was medicated - that, together with the autism and his young age - put him over the edge.

And when it comes to serial killers and mass murderers, seems to me it is overwhelmingly white man's territory.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Our founding fathers owned slaves. Appealing to their authority doesn't instantly validate your position, not when so many of the "norms" of their era are so completely out of step with today's society.

The Constitution they created was out of step with the norms of their era as well.

The acknowledgment written into our founding documents of each man's God-given rights eventually forced us to confront the slavery compromise and other historic injustices.

That the Founders were flawed individuals in no way diminished the brilliance of the documents they created or the practical and effective manner in which these documents challenged the norms of that day and what might have become contemporary norms were it not for the restrictions on the state prescribed by the same documents.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
What the OP is suggesting is pretty far removed from what I've heard, and feel, of the CT school shooting. Every murder is a tragedy, but to suggest that school shootings are a cultural problem is pretty absurd. We have millions of school-aged children in this country, and, overall, they are still safe at school.

I take offense to this as I assume you're speaking of white people here. To that, I say, black people want an answer to gang violence as well. After all, black people don't like being scared anymore than white people. It's not an "predictable onslaught" of pointing the finger at black people to change themselves when I/we say, "Let's find a way to fix this." It's because I value Americans, regardless of race.
I do not think the OP was attempting to ‘target” whites as mass murderers but asking the question as to why most spree killings have been committed as of late by white americans..
I do not think he was “forgetting” about the usual crime that occurs in American cities everyday, be it through drugs, gangs, and affiliation so to speak but as to why most spree killings seem to to be committed by white americans and why white americans seem to go under the radar until an event such as this occurs like it today.

Most notably..today, white male , Connecticut, 20 children dead and admin
Portland Oregon in the mall
Aurora Colorado
Columbine
Charles Whitman University of Texas 2001
Luby’s masacre Killen tx 1991- I know because I was stationed there and heard the horror stories
Michael Kenneth McLendon..2009-TOOK 10 PEOPLE WITH HIM
2011 Tucson Az shooter of Rep Gabrielle Giffords and other innocent bystanders
OK bombing

So while there are murders that occur everyday whether it be innocents in numbers of one or 2, 3 as bystanders the main target has been the opposing gang members and other adversaries , this is not excusing the latter whatsoever..
I believe the OP..is raising a question as to why most spree killings targeting masses and mass tragedies are being carried out by white americans and why is this is not prevalent is news?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
And when it comes to serial killers and mass murderers, seems to me it is overwhelmingly white man's territory.
That's actually not true at all statistically - Serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies