Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Canada will not be able to get rid of criminals. If I was a criminal and made my living by steeling other peoples wealth then I would probably head to a place that didn't allow their citizens to possess a gun. Not all criminals are stupid. With the world financial crisis with high unemployment and people becoming more desperate you will see a big rise in home invasions. Like electrical current, the criminal will seek the path of least resistance.
There is nothing in my home worth a rats ass to a criminal. Are they art collectors? Are they going to steal my exotic plants? My neighborhood was once a tough place but now it is gentrified. There are still lots of low life left over in the hood. There is a phenomena that I observed. Even crack heads and hoods don't want to look like trash when submerged in a place with intelligent people. The creeps in my area are well behaved. Recently a shop owner left his display outside over night. The local crack heads picked the stuff up and took it to their crap ass hotel. In the morning they brought the stuff back...They respected the shop owner and wanted to make sure it was not stolen.

Americans have developed the us against them attitude. Even low life does not want to be low life...if you give them a chance...they attempt to come up. With the attitude you have...you are waging a war with them that can not be won. I am not big on the liberal experiment but it works sometimes. Ghettoizing is a flop..Environment makes a difference. I know the "nice" people in my hood...and I also know the "bad" people...I get results from the bad ones...I love them- and they sense that...You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I am not privy to the medications any of the shooters you wrote about were or were not taking, but there are two points in your OP which require clarification:

1. SSRI antidepressants do not cause mania UNLESS the person has an undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

2. SSRIs are not associated with risk of violence towards others. Increased risk of suicide is a black box warning because when the symptoms of lethargy and difficulty focusing remit but hopelessness and dysphoria still remain, depressed people can have enough energy to carry out a plan to harm themselves. This is why counseling is recommended in conjunction with medication.
Your #1 is true (according to conventional wisdom), but your #2 is absolutely false.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ata-finds-link

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0015337

Last edited by OngletNYC; 12-15-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
That is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Show me some stats on that or did you just make that up? Every year about 15,000 people are murdered in America, about 9,000 by guns. You rarely hear of people "saving" themselves because they had a gun on them. Sure it happens but no were near as much as the amount of people that die by them.
I already posted the links PAL. Try reading. Secondly, the total murder count is around 12,000-13000 ... and 8000-9000 by firearms. Thirdly ... it is ridiculous to misspell "rediculous".

But this ought to come as no surprise, if any of you actually had a freaking grasp on simple math. The fact is, there are 80,000,000 gun owners in America who own approximately 300,000,000 guns, which makes law abiding gun owners out number homicidal criminals almost 9 Million to 1. I'd say we've got the bad guys out numbered pretty well, and that also explains why 1-2 Million violent crimes are prevented with privately owned guns. What do you think would happen to that 9,000 murder rate if guns were taken away, and those Million violent crimes were not prevented? The murder number would increase 100 Fold!! Get your calculator out if you need to ... those are the hard numbers.

By contrast, there are approximately 190,000,000 licensed drivers and 220,000,000 registered passenger vehicles in the US. The raw numbers ... 9000 murders by guns, and 50,000 deaths by motor vehicles show that cars are 3 TIMES more deadly than guns ... it really doesn't matter if it's an accident or intentional, does it? At least not to the dead people ... they're dead either way. So why don't you call for a ban on cars?

But there is another startling statistic ... 200,000 deaths occur annually from prescription medication, prescribed by doctors and taken as directed. That means that whichever way you look at it ... either doctors or prescribed medications are 22 TIMES more dangerous than guns. Now I don't see any of you left wing loons demanding a ban on doctors and prescription drugs ... noooo ... you've got ObamaCare ... so we can FORCE another 30 Million Americans on to the hit list.

You see, this is why thinking people consider liberalism to be a mental illness. Perhaps it's just a case of liberals not being good with math?

Oh you liberals are so smart .... sharp as a bowling ball, you are.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can you provide a link that states this shooter was on medication ?
Probably but let's wait a couple of days. Yesterday the shooter's name was Ryan and he killed his father. Today it is Adam and his father is alive. He killed his mother, he didn't kill his mother... We can't trust links yet.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM

744 posts, read 1,091,552 times
Default Adam Lanza's mother was a "huge gun fan"

Interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/ny...w-nytimes&_r=0

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
As a father with a asperger son i can tell you the best thing i ever did for him was to take him off the meds. It made him mean and agressive when on them. We found that a strict vitamin regimen did the same but without the side affects.

I agree with the op. and i bet the media stays clear from that angle. Theres too much money to be made and its too easy to blame guns.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
30 million (1 in 10) people take some sort of medication like that, and you are saying that 6 people went on shootings.

It is something to research, but that is a 0.00000002% rate of violence in taking the medication. Even a thousand is small.

You can't say correlation is causation. Shoe size correlates with reading ability nearly 100%, it doesn't mean it is right.

Also, have you tried the links to the original articles? I've tried 20 so far and each link is broken or not found. That is very suspicious.
Actually, the number I am saying isn't 6 at all. I only typed out a few examples. You really can't expect me to provide 5,000 names, come on let's be reasonable!

As I said that link hasn't been updated in over a year. But you know what, I say don't go by that, do it yourself: Google a list of violent shootings, then google the name of the perpetrator and look for mentions of prescription drug use.

You can start here if you like, research these folks: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...nce-columbine/

Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Look! Distraction argument! Hitler! Boogabooga!

As a diehard liberal, my argument is that we need to stop glamorizing guns. The NRA and their gun nut followers have taught generation upon generation -- including Nancy Lanza and her son -- that guns are cool. Guns are fun. Guns are toys. Guns make you feel like a big ol' bad ass. Guns solve problems. Guns let you brag about "taking out perps." Guns are status symbols.

Only in America are machines designed to kill considered fun.

It's a sick country, and I'm sick of it.
More diehard liberals "glamorize" guns.... The hip hop community virtually exclusively voted for Barack Obama. How many rappers do you know that make very cute analogies and similies about gun play??

I know many....way too many....

Republican "gun nuts" as many love to label them simply enjoy the benefits of guns...they are the ones who preach the importance of responsible and safe gun ownership, ad-nauseum.

So if your dog in this fight is the glorification of guns...talk to your a-alike partisans.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
You can look at 5 different news sites and find 5 different accounts of what happened ...

Pick your poison
Not one this one. If you find another version please post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Nancy Lanza was not a teacher in that school. Another twist in the story.
Nancy Lanza Reportedly Wasn't a Teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary - Yahoo! News
No she was a teacher's aide.

And get this:

Quote:
The aunt of Connecticut shooter Adam Lanza said the shooter's mother pulled him out of Newtown's public school system because she was unhappy with the school district's plans for her son.

Marsha Lanza, who is Adam's aunt and Nancy's ex-sister-in-law, told Evelyn Holmes of ABC-owned-and-operated station WLS in Chicago that Nancy had once been a classroom aide at the Sandy Hook school.

Marsha, who lives in the Chicago suburb of Crystal Lake, said that Nancy had home-schooled Adam after pulling him out of the Newtown public school system. She did not know when Adam had left school. According to former classmates, Adam had attended the local high school at least through part of 10th grade.
Relative: Adam Lanza's Mom Pulled Him Out of School - Yahoo! News

He was HOME-SCHOOLED! By a GUN NUT! Read the article to see what kind of guns this gal had at her home OMG!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies