Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, I didn't know Trayvon Martin did this! Or the 13-year-olds. Gosh, they only killed ONE person, but they are considered animals.
WTH are you talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
I'm not in the habit of calling human beings animals. Having a killer tan doesn't change a thing for me in that regard. Why on earth did racism come up in this discussion anyways???

Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not in the habit of calling human beings animals. Having a killer tan doesn't change a thing for me in that regard. Why on earth did racism come up in this discussion anyways???
I brought it up because, reading through this thread off and on over the course of the day, it hit me that I did not see one person call the shooter an animal.

However, go over to the Martin thread or the one about the 13 year old boys and you will see almost every poster considers blacks animals or worse, even Martin, who was a victim.

Just making an observation. The people I'm addressing know who they are.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I brought it up because, reading through this thread off and on over the course of the day, it hit me that I did not see one person call the shooter an animal.

However, go over to the Martin thread or the one about the 13 year old boys and you will see almost every poster considers blacks animals or worse, even Martin, who was a victim.

Just making an observation. The people I'm addressing know who they are.
I'll never comprehend racism. Skin pigment. What the Hades does skin pigment have to do with what kind of person you are? Always been utterly baffled by it. Always will be.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
When all is said and done, that will probably be the answer. A mentally ill person playing
video games, with parents who did not give him the time of day.

When one has no feeling, everything else becomes easy. That's why they call
it a psychotic disturbance.

Modern day prescription drugs either make it happen or contribute.
Now it's not just the mother's fault, it's the parents'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Reports are that his brother told police that he had Personality Disorder.
And his brother was qualified to make this diagnosis because???

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now it's not just the mother's fault, it's the parents'!

And his brother was qualified to make this diagnosis because???
No, it's the mothers fault, mainly. What sane parent takes a mentally-ill young adult son to gun shows and target practice? See below. Family dynamics no doubt played a part. And, yes, the brother is qualified to say the kid had mental problems - he's his brother - he knows the family dynamic. So does the father. They were all in denial on just how bad it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If his mental illness was such that he could not be held responsible or could not learn right from wrong, then the mother should be responsible if she provided him access to weapons.

He may have had the moral IQ of a 4 year old, you'd be responsible if you gave any 4 year old, including one that wasn't your own minor child a weapon to use.

Why would this woman have kept dangerous guns in her home if she allowed this man to live there? Didn't she know of Connecticut's gun laws? No one is supposed to provide the psychos weapons to use.
Absolutely. THREE weapons. A rifle, and two handguns? The woman was a friggen Annie Oakley from what I've read/saw on TV. Loved target practice, gun shows. Took her mentally-ill son with her. She must have been deranged. Guns and all the crap that went along with them was "her passion."

Reminds me of an old saying. She died as she lived - with her own guns. Tragically, 26 innocent victims and their families bear the horror and grief of this stupid woman's choice of "passion."

She needs to have lived - she got off too easy.

Quote:
Because the mods keep combining all the threads. There was an earlier thread on why whites seem to be the mass murderers of the world. The post to which you responded is a carryover from that.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
He graduated from the high school in the town.
The mother probably contributed fund raising wise.
The principal recognized him as her son. The rest is history.
I thought the initial reports were that his mom was the teacher, it seems even crazier that it may have been random. What kind of person kills kids for the hell of it. Just sickening.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,130,994 times
Quote:
Sorry but I don't follow. You seem to be saying that I need to decide to think a certain way. Please tell me what you want me to think. I'm very curious to know what you have in mind.

Is it time to do something to protect schools in America? Sure, I'm with you. Copy Israel and have a well trained and armed teacher or local volunteer in every classroom. Let see what happens when cowards like Adam Lanza have to worry about people shooting back. It has worked wonders deterring would-be attackers in Israel, so it's worth a try here in the USA.

Long term, sure. Try to regulate guns. Do more to keep them out of the hands of bad people. Do more to make gun owners more responsible citizens. Those are long term solutions. It will take a very long time and effort and they may not help very much. Arming teachers and the like and making schools less attractive targets is an immediate solution with proven results.

It's not an elegant solution. It's ugly. Beats the heck out of sticking our heads in the sand and taking no immediate action.
Respectfully...limpy idea's are useless. There is no such thing as trying. Trying is hoping...a society that hopes something that just happened does not happen again is a F...up society. Change is required immediately, and gun issues are not part of an immediate consequence obviously.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
And the taxpayers are looking at huge tax increases they voted for along with the 0bamacare that they also voted for that will hurt even more...

Maybe Dear Leader will show up and throw some of that 85 billion Uncle Ben is printing every month their way???
I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. I sure hope that we don't get to the point that parents in EVERY school district will DEMAND that their schools have security devices similar to the crap that we endure at the nation's airports and social security offices these days. Not only would that foster a feeling of a country on constant alert starting from childhood, but also would increase property taxes which are already high in many locations.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Absolutely. THREE weapons. A rifle, and two handguns? The woman was a friggen Annie Oakley from what I've read/saw on TV. Loved target practice, gun shows. Took the son with her. Guns and all the crap that went along with it was "her passion."

Reminds me of an old saying. She died as lived - with her own guns. Tragically, 26 innocent victims and their families bear the horror and grief of this stupid woman's "passion."

She needs to have lived - she got off too easy.
Generalizations always have sucked and they always will. Gun ownership does not make you a bad person. That's just silly.

Therein lies the problem that prevents any kind of solution to the problem of gun violence: The gun control folks think you must be some crazy redneck if you actually own guns. Gun owners think that gun control folks are Utopian idiots who have lost touch with reality who will inadvertently disarm everyone but criminals with their misguided cause. Neither point of view is constructive. Neither solves anything.

We don't know what happened yet. Did he violently force her to unlock the gun cabinet before killing her? If so, he'd have found a way to get guns from some other source. Somebody who would kill their own mother and 20 little kids would certainly find a way to get what they wanted one way or another. The bigger question in my mind: Why wasn't this guy locked up in a mental institution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies