Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Adam Lanza comes from a long line of gun nuts in the Lanza family. His mother was taught to be a gun nut in Wisconsin on the farm she grew up on. Too bad a cow didn't kick her in the uterus before she moved to CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then it gets back to something liberals never want to admit exists -- and that is evil. I'm inclined to agree with you --- the killer wasn't mentally ill at all, just very very evil.
Karl Rove is evil. Sure there's evil. Just never who the Right Wing says it is.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
But at what point would a parent insist that their own kid be armed? At the age of 16? 12? 10?
It is, I believe, a federal law that persons under the age of 21 cannot own handguns. Since I'm talking about concealed weapons, that means long guns are out, which means 21. With training and a CCW. Which means college seniors.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Look, I don't want to minimize this horrific act. It was brutal, it was awful, it was sick, and it was twisted.

But, at the same time, we have to keep some perspective. While it may not seem that way, the simple fact of the matter is that our society is in better shape than it's been since well before my birth. Any metric you look at, be it murder rates, other violent crime, non-violent crime, STD infections, teenage pregnancy, you name it... Virtually all of them are at, or near, all time lows. You were more likely to be murdered in 1960 than in 2010.

Assault weapons are used in <2% of all gun crimes and <1% of all murders.

There simply is not a widespread problem due to the existence of these weapons in society. They were banned before, and the reason the ban was lifted was that it was found that banning them MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

You're absolutely correct, yet instances of mass violence are more common. Don't mistake me: I was raised with hunters and learned when I was 12 how to handle and care for weapons. Collect them, shoot competitively, hunt, protect yourself...these are American rights and traditions. Unfortunately, at this point it appears that Lanza's mother had some paranoia herself; it's one thing to ponder and possibly prepare, but another to nurture delusions and baseless fears. Gun sales have soared with both elections of President Obama, but he's yet to propose a law that would disarm citizens...no sane person would. However, weapons that give someone the ability to kill almost 30 people, moving targets, within a few minutes are unquestionably something that should be difficult to obtain. As a society, I'm not sure that people will not be asking for protection by their government, not against it.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most kids are taught at an early age how to respect, handle and control guns. These kids grow up hunting, fishing and these are never the ones that have the problems. They even have family days at gun ranges which are very popular.

A kid who grows up and is trained in firearms is not the problem. Most of these kids have raised on computers in their parents basement and Death to them is a fantasy. If they were raised to hunt and handle weapons they would understand the power of that firearm.

You can't blame a man for not knowing how to use a hammer unless he's shown properly in his youth.

These kids are out of touch with reality.
The shooter grew up with and was trained in firearms.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
However, weapons that give someone the ability to kill almost 30 people, moving targets, within a few minutes are unquestionably something that should be difficult to obtain.
First, that describes every semi-automatic weapon ever made, and, with a sufficiently skilled shooter, revolvers, too. Second "difficult to obtain" is different from "illegal". Feinstein has already gone on the record that she's going to introduce a new AWB, though she hasn't, to my knowledge, defined what she means.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes, I can.

A skilled shooter could have carried out this carnage with any one of a host of weapons, many that are NOT labeled "assault weapons".

The problem is this...

When someone shoots at you, the best defense is to SHOOT BACK. Nobody in the school was able to do so.
Why would elementary school kids or the staff be armed in the first place?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The shooter grew up with and was trained in firearms.
And was mentally ill. This is a very rare occurrence.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why would elementary school kids or the staff be armed in the first place?

Because we no longer have the right to go to the store, to work, to school, to church, to the movies...anywhere...without fear that someone will kill us. Welcome to the new America.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And was mentally ill. This is a very rare occurrence.
Not recently, it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies