Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Of course, the fact that the US has never had a tyrannical government in need of overthrow, while we have had MULTIPLE MASS KILLINGS from gun nuts has nothing to do with why we live in fear of you nuts.

No sir, your completely nonexistent boogeyman is way more scary than the actual mass killings we're forced to endure so you can fondle your guns.

What baffles me is why you nuts have so little faith in a country you claim to love. The more patriotic you claim to be, the more you hate your duly-elected government and the fellow citizens who elected it.
You hit something there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Of course, the fact that the US has never had a tyrannical government in need of overthrow, while we have had MULTIPLE MASS KILLINGS from gun nuts has nothing to do with why we live in fear of you nuts.

No sir, your completely nonexistent boogeyman is way more scary than the actual mass killings we're forced to endure so you can fondle your guns.

What baffles me is why you nuts have so little faith in a country you claim to love. The more patriotic you claim to be, the more you hate your duly-elected government and the fellow citizens who elected it.
I like to hunt and shoot skeet. So pipe down on the hyperbole. It's not winning anyone over to your side to call gun owners "nuts".

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
During 2000--2002, the Task Force on Community Preventive Services (the Task Force), an independent nonfederal task force, conducted a systematic review of scientific evidence regarding the effectiveness of firearms laws in preventing violence, including violent crimes, suicide, and unintentional injury. The following laws were evaluated: bans on specified firearms or ammunition, restrictions on firearm acquisition, waiting periods for firearm acquisition, firearm registration and licensing of firearm owners, "shall issue" concealed weapon carry laws, child access prevention laws, zero tolerance laws for firearms in schools, and combinations of firearms laws. The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.

First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Firearms Laws

In sufficent evidence is not evidence either way. It is simply insufficient evidence.

The Japanese have one of the lowest gun-related death rates in the world, and it is because they have some of the strictest gun and ammunition laws in the world. So don't tell me the laws can't work, because they do IF they are strict enough AND strictly enforced.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
In sufficent evidence is not affirmative evidence.
There was no statistically significant difference in crimes with so called "assault rifles" during the time they were banned than before they were. In fact, knives are used more often most years to kill then are "assault rifles". Should we ban knives?

Quote:
The Japanese have one of the lowest gun-related death rates in the world, and it is because they have some of the strictest gun and ammunition laws in the world. So don't tell me the laws can't work, because they do IF they are strict enough AND strictly enforced.
The problem with this is that it's too late. There are 300,000,000 legally owned firearms in the US, and not only would rounding them up likely be unconstitutional (the whole ex-post-facto thing), it is a practical impossibility.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Photos of all the victims:

Newtown school shooting: Remembering the victims - The Washington Post

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Take a look at this:

Perspective: Are firearm murders a significant statistic? | Conservative Commune

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think powerless camo wearing clowns are a threat for the most part. It's their childish obsession with guns and that there be no limits to their accesibilty and volume that make it so easy for the really dangerous people to get them, from the crazed shooter to the gang banger, guns are easy to get because gun fetishists want them to be easy to get.
The problem with your assessment is that the crazed shooters and gang bangers don't usually acquire their guns legally. As an example the killer in the recent mass murder shot the owner of the weapons dead and then proceeded to steal the guns he did the deed with. Your idiotic scenario of some right wing wild eyed gun nut who has 50 assault weapons in his garage and goes deranged with his love of bullets from playing too much call of duty and watching too many shows on the military channel is just that........idiotic.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

WE had to overthrow King George or I should say throw him out. I guess you think knives and bare fists would have done the job.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I like to hunt and shoot skeet. So pipe down on the hyperbole. It's not winning anyone over to your side to call gun owners "nuts".
I don't think you are winning anyone over to your side when we express legitimate concerns that your hobby is killing our children, you tell us to "pipe down".

Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
A repost from another forum posted by a friend living in New Zealand:

I deliberately waited to post on this topic, to try and gain a wee bit of distance. I avoided reading any of the other posts here about this. My thoughts:

When is enough enough? How much sadness and butchery will it take for people to realize that the prevalence of firearms IS the problem and is NOT the solution?

You know, I've had it up to the neck with the same tired old arguments for easy access to firearms. I'm done.

I don't want to hear about your precious Second Amendment. You aren't in a militia, so it doesn't apply. I don't give a char-broiled rat's arse what your Supreme Court has to say about it, either. It is a law for a different time and a different situation. You want a gun? Fine, join the army, since THAT'S what the Second Amendment is about. It isn't about you having a pistol or a rifle in your home, in your car, or on your hip.

I don't want to hear about the so-called 'rights' of hunters and target shooters. There are these places now called 'supermarkets' - no one needs to hunt. You want to target shoot? Dandy. Get yourself a bean shooter or a slingshot. You don't need a gun.

I don't want to hear about 'self protection'. The notion that violent crime is stopped or even lessened by armed ignoramuses with little or no training is a specious one at best. If you've got a gun in your possession, you are FAR more likely to shoot a loved one or an innocent stranger than you are to stop someone intent on doing you harm. This isn't the Wild West and YOU aren't Wyatt Earp.

I don't want to hear about 'responible gun owners'. Owning a gun is, in and of itself, an irresponsible act. EVERY illegally owned firearm and EVERY firearm EVER used in a crime started life as a legal gun. No exception, no excuses - if you own firarms, you bear moral responsibility for massacres like this one.

I don't want to hear about the firearms safety courses you took. They mean nothing.

I don't want to hear about your military training. It means nothing. (You know how many men in a platoon actually shoot in a combat situation? Six. The rest freeze up.)

I don't want to hear how many deaths occur every year from cars, knives, samurai swords, or rolling pins. The issue is guns, stop trying to evade it.

I don't want to hear about how an armed teacher could have stopped the butching of these 20 babies. This lunatic went to that school to kill. If the teacher had a gun, he would have shot her first, then killed the babies just the same.

If you can read about (and see video about) massacres like this one and STILL not realize that guns are a problem, then shame on you. If you so desperately want to cling to the notion that owning firearms is what makes you a sovereign citizen that the killing of TWENTY little children doesn't change that, I pity you. Don't sit there and tell me how broken-hearted you are over this, when you don't even have the slightest twinge of conscience that YOUR ownership of YOUR guns is contributing to this sort of senseless slaughter.

You want to make a difference in this world? You want to give some closure to the bereaved families in communities like Newtown? Then gather up your guns and put them all under the hammer. Render them so useless that they can't ever, ever EVER be used to murder an innocent child. Get your friends to do the the same. Tell your local police force and local government that you are tired, dead tired, of watching news reports of butchered little kids, and you are willing to pay higher taxes and to volunteer your time towards living in a gun-free community.

And take a solemn oath by whatever Power you hold most dear that you will never be morally complicit in butchery by owning a gun, ever again.
If your buddy from New Zealand doesn't want to hear about all this tell him to worry about his own country. The Orcs are coming back so best ammo up down under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies