Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Apparently your OK with all the knife deaths and folks killed with blunt objects but only care about handgun deaths. Why is that?

No I'm pointing out that the liberals in DC don't really care they are just pushing their agenda and using this incident as their crutch. If they really cared they wouldn't throw up a kneejerk reaction bill to ban assault rifles like they are. In fact Obama let thins sit on his desk recommended by the DOJ because they weren't politically expedient at the time with the election coming up. Not that I would have agreed with him if he did it but he didn't because some wouldn't have agreed. So again it's agenda driven no because anyone in DC gives one flying rip about some kids shot in Conn last week.

Look at my graph again. My goal is to reduce as much as possible all homicides. The fact is that the vast majority of them in the U.S. are caused by guns of all kinds. That is why I concentrate on them. And dude, I don't live in D.C. I don't care who pushes for tougher laws. If Obama does it, I'm good with that. Hell, if McConnell grew some cajones and pushed for tougher laws, I might even be tempted to vote for him (I've never voted for him, not once, so that is saying something). Or are you telling me that we have to be statisfied with the fact that the Japanese are smarter than we are because they've managed to reduce gun violence in their country to nearly zero and we can't because you have such an overwhelming emotional need to fondle your gun barrel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Problem will not be diminished if the country doesn't start talking about the lack of real mental health help for people suffering from mental illness in this country. It would mean talking about accessible and affordable healthcare. Apparently though, if Obamacare was too much of a fiasco I can only imagine what this debate would spark up.

Who is really going to say, "why should my tax dollars go to help someone else's mental stability" this time around?

Other factors are economic instablity, rampant chemical dependency, chronic stress, etc.

Are people in this day and age still going to be saying that it's about "evil" or "God taken out of schools" or "personal responsibility" or whatever other canards?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Hmmmm I don't recall saying that I was just answering your ridiculous question. Many governments have come and gone across the world in the last 250 years. Ours is still here and held in check by many things one of them is the right to bear arms. If you can't see that then there is no hope for you.
If you can't tell me why you hate and fear your fellow citizens in the 21st century -- in a FIRST WORLD developed country, not some Banana Republic -- then there is no hope for you.

But we already knew that. It's frankly a rhetorical question. You believe that your toys of death are keeping an America gone mad from dissolving into anarchy, not our carefully constructed government of checks and balances, our educated populace and our diverse economy.

No, there was never any hope from the moment you accepted the God of Killing as your Holy Savior.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Right.

Ford is responsible for all car-related deaths, spoon makers are responsible for all obesity,
Sir Walter Raleigh is responsible for all tobacco related cancers, and China is responsible
for all deaths by gun powder.
Red Herring. Cars are not designed with the intent to kill people. Guns are. Next.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I've come to the conclusion that they have fear born out of ignorance. They fear guns because all they know of them is what they see sensationalized in movies or what they see on the news, which is often sensationalized as well. Shoot, this morning I was watching the news and the reporters were so woefully ignorant of guns in general (types, power, etc) that it made me wonder if they have done even rudimentary research on the subject before reporting it as 'fact'.

By the way, most gun owners are law abiding people that never have and never will commit a crime. Of course, this is largely unnoticed or ignored by those that fear guns to the point of wanting them banned.

Between my step dad, and step brother when I was growing we had plenty of guns in my house. Both law abiding citizens. So why should the rest of the law abiding gun owners have to suffer, because someone went Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs?! Yes this is a horrible tragedy! Yes this was senseless! But the majority of gun owners, are responsible law abiding citizens, and would not do something like this! I'd rather those law abiding citizens still have the option to defend themselves from people like the shooter, because again, guess what???? People like the shooter DON'T CARE!!!! They are going to find a way to get guns, or find ANOTHER way to kill people!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
people who buy guns should be throughly vetted, the amount of amunition that people buy should be monitored to a much greated extent than it is now. Hand gun sales throughout the country should be federally regulated. We should consider banning all semi auto guns or high capacity magazines. There is plenty that should be done, all that will be meet by nra gun fetishists with "but how will i stop the tyrannical government then?"
Conn Elementary shooting-gun-control-chart-1-.jpg

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Between my step dad, and step brother when I was growing we had plenty of guns in my house. Both law abiding citizens. So why should the rest of the law abiding gun owners have to suffer, because someone went Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs?! Yes this is a horrible tragedy! Yes this was senseless! But the majority of gun owners, are responsible law abiding citizens, and would not do something like this! I'd rather those law abiding citizens still have the option to defend themselves from people like the shooter, because again, guess what???? People like the shooter DON'T CARE!!!! They are going to find a way to get guns, or find ANOTHER way to kill people!
Owning a gun is, in and of itself, an irresponsible act. EVERY illegally owned firearm and EVERY firearm EVER used in a crime started life as a legal gun. No exception, no excuses - if you own firarms, you bear moral responsibility for massacres like this one.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Honestly, I think this country has become one of selfishness, in which people are not willing to give up "their freedoms" to save innocent children.
No I'm not willing to give up my freedoms for children. And frankly, I'm getting tired of the "do it for the kids" argument. In the progressive debate repertoire, "do it for the kids" is just behind the race card in terms of frequency of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Problem will not be diminished if the country doesn't start talking about the lack of real mental health help for people suffering from mental illness in this country.
I think you are on target about the mental health discussion.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan -- one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail. Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

More at the link.

P.S., I might also add that a recent survey I read said that the Japanese are among the happiest people in the world. Probably it is at least in part because they aren't trying to fill each others' bodies with lead, and couldn't even if they wanted to.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
The problem with your assessment is that the crazed shooters and gang bangers don't usually acquire their guns legally. As an example the killer in the recent mass murder shot the owner of the weapons dead and then proceeded to steal the guns he did the deed with. Your idiotic scenario of some right wing wild eyed gun nut who has 50 assault weapons in his garage and goes deranged with his love of bullets from playing too much call of duty and watching too many shows on the military channel is just that........idiotic.

Why is this concept so hard to grasp???? Criminals don't give a s*** about the law! That is why they call them CRIMINALS!!!!! And as it has been shown time and again, the cops cannot always be there at a moments notice! In the instance of Sandy Hook the damage was already done! You can pass laws taking people's guns away, and it would more than likely be the law abiding citizens who would and do turn them in. Criminals on the other hand, will not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies