Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If someone who was carrying had the chance to save your life and did so you would be blubbering all over them thanking them for saving yours and your child's life.
period.

Radios do not make the officer magically appear.
Let me guess. You are ten years old. That radio can do much more than you know.

Quote:
My skill level is better than most on duty officers.
How do I know?
I shoot along side of them at shooting events.
And I'm supposed to believe you because?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What? You have me confused with someone else. I owned a Martin .22 semi-automatic rifle 30 years ago and sold to my step-father it right before I got married. And have never owned another one since. My mother turned it into the police when my step-father died.
To bad you didn't sell it to the Petit family. Remember them from a few years back in CT ? The 2 bad guys tied everyone up, raped and murdered then set the house on fire.

They could have used a little self protection since the cops were not available.

Petit Family Killings News - The New York Times

Quote:
When officers returned to the house they found Dr. William A. Petit Jr., 50, who had been severely beaten, and the bodies of his wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, and their daughters, Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11. The police said that the victims had been tied up in separate rooms, and that Ms. Hawke-Petit and one of the daughters were sexually assaulted before the house was set on fire.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
No one knows that it is near impossible to get meaningful mental help unless you have money.There is and are no facilities for treatment,institution's done away with a long time ago.We have been thru this with daughter suffering with schizophrenia.It is now 20 years later.
You have no control over them,it took a baker hold to get her started and now no better off.If we had wanted to assume her guardianship we were told we would have had to hire a doctor,physcologist and lawyer and same for her representation.
On one treatment it took 2 doctors testimony to get a judge to grant us temporary legal guardian to sign for treatment since she refused.They would bring it under control and than she would refuse meds.
We gave up and are now separated from situation.
My reason for this post is if murderer is separated from reality,it is a tough job to force help on him.

Last edited by DanBev; 12-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yes, semi-auto rifles that either have a military history or mimic military services weapons. Weapons that were designed for battlefield use and not personal defense or sport. These weapons are large part of the gun culture changes over the past few decades that is partially responsible for these tragedies.
How does history affect the lethality of the gun. Are there any real differences or are they just combinations of pistol and rifle features?

Quote:

Yes, banning high capiticty magazines. Guess what a shooter is not doing while putting in a new magazine? Firing his gun. That few seconds may have been the difference between a few more kids making it out the door in the 2nd classroom. Like I've said in other posts, I recognize we are not going to stop all of these massacres, but that doesn't justify inaction.
Do we even know if the killer had a high capacity magazine or is this just speculation?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
To bad you didn't sell it to the Petit family. Remember them from a few years back in CT ? The 2 bad guys tied everyone up, raped and murdered then set the house on fire.

They could have used a little self protection since the cops were not available.

And if they had had a gun in the house, and someone tried to use it, how do you know the perps wouldn't have just killed them on the spot anyway? Or worse, the father might have tried to use it and killed his kids or his wife by accident. The fact of the matter is that adding to the death toll benefits no one, least of all the victims.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

And the women in that house definitely would have had the time to get the gun out and stop the 2 career criminal scum who committed those crimes......

.......in wannabe John Wayne la land of gun obsessed fools. More likely the perps would have found the gun after they overtook the females and used it against them..not that it couldn't have been any worse than it was.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
It appears based on recent web articles that he did have 30 round mags. Looks like they had been trying to ban them in the past few years, but were currently legal.

High cap mag bans are ridiculous, IMO.

They are not numbered like firearms, not traced like firearms. You could stop making them again, but SO many already exist, it would just be feel good legislation at that point. Trying to get people to turn in existing ones on a buy back program would be incredibly expensive, and also a complete waste of time. All you would get is a lot of money being given to lawful people who are willing to disarm for a couple hundred bucks. Criminals would still have them. Yes, one of these one in a million tragedies would change by a small factor, if any. The next crazed punk kid that tries to kill people will be half a second slower per ten shots. In a shooting that is over in three minutes, thats just ridiculous, and doesnt help.

By the same math, one in a million law abiding citizen will be unable to protect himself for the same reason.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
NOW I've read it all.

The speed of RADIO WAVES. That's it children. Because RADIO WAVES travel at the speed of light, you should just dial 911 when you become aware of an intruder in your home and let those radio waves do the rest. You neighbors who enjoy listening to police radio will get up to date information on the progress of that police car as it zooms the 10 miles from wherever it was to your home.

Ever try outrunning a cop on the highway? Good luck with that. He might lose you but the odds that the radio won't is very good, otherwise they wouldn't use it. Ask any State Police officer.

But I'll tell you something. I get really tired of hearing these what ifs as a rationale for the existence of 88+ million guns in this country. If 88 million guns don't make us safe, 88 million and 1 certainly isn't going to do it. You know what would make us safe? zero guns. Ask the Japanese.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
And if they had had a gun in the house, and someone tried to use it, how do you know the perps wouldn't have just killed them on the spot anyway? Or worse, the father might have tried to use it and killed his kids or his wife by accident. The fact of the matter is that adding to the death toll benefits no one, least of all the victims.
I would imagine any improvement on the result would have been preferable to Dr. Petit. A gun would have given him at least a chance.

Here's just some random Google searches on where having a gun did offer self defense.

Police: Homeowner shoots, kills intruder | abc11.com

Sumner County homeowner shoots burglar after confrontation in garage | Wichita Eagle

Homeowner fatally shoots intruder in Cleveland | cleveland.com

Intruder dies in Mississauga home invasion, police allege - Toronto - CBC News

Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
No doubt a magazine is easy to construct and sell. I guess the argument would be the killers mother would not have had them if they were banned. It's a weak argument, but certainly stronger than most I've seen to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies