Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll never understand why people think that "their freedoms are taken away" by passing laws to make it harder for crazy people to get guns.
We already do the same thing for cars to make sure that we keep everybody safe.
Anybody can get a car, you just need to prove that you are capable of using it responsibly.
By that same token there should REALLY be a law to have children. You need to prove you're capable of taking care of it responsibly.

Any two people with magnet sexual organs can have a child. About 40% shouldn't be though

I could have SWORN Ethan's said time and time again that he doesn't like guns but now he loves them like crazy? Ooookay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You know what? If you had a magic wand, and could wave it and make every firearm in the country disappear, I might just be okay with that.

But if I had t*ts, I'd be a girl.

It's nothing more than an unachievable fantasy. The bad guy that might decide to start a firefight with me is still going to have his piece. And I'll be standing there holding my johnson. Maybe I should hit him with that?
So, to be clear, you are saying that the Japanese are smarter than we are. Got it.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
So, to be clear, you are saying that the Japanese are smarter than we are. Got it.
No.

I'm saying that there are 300,000,000 legally owned firearms in the US. There are an unknown number if illegal firearms. You will never collect them all. I will not give mine up. Millions of other owners won't either.

Then what?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
you can argue it is a mental illness thing over gun control but MHMRA here in Harris County has basically been defunded, there is at least a 9 month wait list for services, you miss 1 appointment you are cut and have to start all over again because of lack of funds. you can get a gun in 3 weeks. priorities?

time to make SOME small steps. SOMETHING. status quo is not acceptable. also would like to point out the vast majority of severely mentally ill people never go on shooting rampages or commit violent crimes

you could create 1,000 more prisons and use them as schools (many schools are built on prison concepts). have children attend classes behind bullet proof glass, bars, high security fences with razor wire to keep all the crazies out. OR instead of having children grow up in what is akin to a police state you could try to do something about the "crazies" and their access to guns. i think that is way more reasonable and a lot less expensive

Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
In some respects they are. Comes with age. We're what, a couple of hundred years old and they're what, a few thousand?
Let me know when our people in charge start killing themselves to save face when they screw up and we can start talking about being more like them. 'kay?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In a country as small as Japan, as densely populated, and with such an ancient culture, they probably didn't start out as colonists hunting for food and having to defend themselves from predatory animals such as bears and such.

The United States isn't Japan, and isn't comparable with Japan.
Erm, Japan has a long warrier history, not to mention their failed attempt to conquer the United States during WWII. Since then, Japan has become much more like us than you apparently give them credit, with one critical difference. In 1971 they decided to do without a gun culture. And that is why they have one of the lowest gun related deaths and murders in the world. They are human beings just like us, with the same wants, needs, and fears. What one man can do, another can do. And I see no reason why we can't change. All we need do is decide that enough is enough and change our mindset, or national culture that allows thousands of people to die every year. If we cannot do this, then I think we are not worthy of calling ourselves the greatest country in the world. Great countries do great things. Killing one another is not the hallmark of a great nation. On the contrary, it is the hallmark of a nation in decline.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am the first one to say, I have two little kids and this is absolutely tragic. I am having very hard time dealing with it. I will be the first one to give up my guns, my control, or submit to whatever is best to stop this kind of gun madness. I do love my guns, I collect them, and safety is the highest priority but it looks like is not enough. Yes there are many unfortunate ingredients to this violence madness, parents, kids, mental issues, but the easy access to guns and ammo actually tops it all.

How is everyone in Houston dealing with this? And in memory of those innocent kids please keep it constructive.
Giving up control or submitting is not an answer, it is only surrender to some self proclaimed authority.

Keeps your guns and ammo as safe and secure as you would your children. Exercise personal responsibility in your actions and for the protection of your loved ones.

Bless the children...

Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
No.

I'm saying that there are 300,000,000 legally owned firearms in the US. There are an unknown number if illegal firearms. You will never collect them all. I will not give mine up. Millions of other owners won't either.

Then what?
One: no one is going to try to take your guns. They will be granfathered in exactly how the new legislation being proposed soon is spelling out loud and clear.

Two: Eventually all the gun fanatics who own dozens upon dozens of guns in their personal arsenal will die off.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
One: no one is going to try to take your guns.
The person to which I was responding is endorsing precisely that.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
No.

Then what?
Even if we only get 1/4 of them, that will substantially bring down the death rate from guns. But hey, if, say, the constitution is changed to outlaw private ownership of most guns, what are you going to do? If that is the will of the people, and you refuse to give up your arsenal, then you become an outlaw. Is that the future you want for yourself and your children? Really? All for some emotional need to fondle a gun barrel? Wouldn't it be better for them and for yourself for you to instead seek some form of therapy to deal with your inadequacies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies