Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,202,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
they should make classroom doors look by a remote, only the teachers have-
heavy bolt locks, both sides of the door
then the classroom is secure
Yeah, instead of dealing with the real problem, let's send our children to prison schools. What a great lesson for them that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Ok, I'll take a swing at it.
It's not what they know about guns.
They know plenty.
It's cultural.
They as people value life.
Thus the parents know they will instill this value into their children.

Our country gets a big ole F- in parenting.
It all starts at home.

But as long as we feel that others from off shore want to kill us and our neighbors kid doesn't give a dam either Your going to have a hard road.
Then when the Outdoorsmen like myself feel our heritage is threatened we too will back the right to have a gun.
For us in the North land as in Rural America hunting is a family event.
A yearly ritual if you will.

Yes, something needs to be done, but confiscation of firearms is not going to make your utopia appear.
I've heard of all sorts of arguments why we cannot get rid of our guns. I've yet to here one valid argument as to why we SHOULD not get rid of them. Not one. The fact that you think we are bad parents is not a good reason to put guns into our hands. In fact, it is a very strong reason why we should not have them. Sorry, my children should not be put at risk so you can have the luxury to go kill bambi. How about taking up fishing instead?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,970,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I've heard of all sorts of arguments why we cannot get rid of our guns. I've yet to here one valid argument as to why we SHOULD not get rid of them. Not one. The fact that you think we are bad parents is not a good reason to put guns into our hands. In fact, it is a very strong reason why we should not have them. Sorry, my children should not be put at risk so you can have the luxury to go kill bambi. How about taking up fishing instead?
You've had pages and pages of valid reasons. Your choice to reject them all is your own problem but it wasn't from a lack of options. Look, your utopia world that you envision does NOT exist, it will NOT exist, and it's just time to let it go. If you genuinely believe Japan is that utopia, try it out, report back to us. I suspect you will find that utopia is a mirage as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,370,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Really?

You mean with a little ol' 22 pistol he would have have time to riddle the bodies of 26 people with bullets.

One child was shot as many as 11 times. I don't know anything about guns, but is it possible to shoot one person 11 times with one li'l ol' 22 and then go on to slaughter another 25?

So, let me get this straight again - one little ol' 22 could have shot up 26 people? I understand over 100 rounds of ammo was shot. Is that possible with one little ol' 22?

You raise your kids with this kind of logic? No wonder, this country is in such a mess.
and the ar15 bushmater .223(22 caliper) is capible of the same as any other magazine fed weapon...as fast as the NUT JOB can pull the trigger...one bullet per trigger pull...

he changed magazines over 4 times

btw the classic '''frontiersman''' rifle (a lever action winchester 1892) was a 44 cailber(used the same ammo as the colt peacemaker pistol) it had a 15 round tube magazine, and could be fired quite quickly (you can see the action of it on in the opening credits of "the rifleman" with chuck connors on B+W tv)

Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You've had pages and pages of valid reasons. Your choice to reject them all is your own problem but it wasn't from a lack of options. Look, your utopia world that you envision does NOT exist, it will NOT exist, and it's just time to let it go. If you genuinely believe Japan is that utopia, try it out, report back to us. I suspect you will find that utopia is a mirage as well.
Again, no one is talking about creating a utopia, so stop with strawman arguments. I am tralking about making our country a safe place in which to live and raise our children. Take a look at the list of countries by firearm related deaths. There are, in fact, ways to do this, as evidenced by the countries with far fewer gun-related deaths than we have. And by the way, we are far from the worst out there. But we can and should do much better (the fact that we aren't is a horrible blot on our nation), and I for one see no reason why we cannot look at what other countries that are more successfully controlling this issue have done and consider doing some of those things:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,127,303 times
Seeing as this really has nothing to do with the shooting but your desire to control others.

Your unsolicited flippant comments are very childish.

Why are we at war all over the middel east?
Because we don't want it in our streets.
Luckily the govt. has keep it off of our streets.
but what happens when they do get threw?
and we are just a flock of sheepel , a easy target.

Their is a nasty roomer that we are a gun tote'en society with wiled west shoot outs daily.
This perception helps to keep the boogieman at bay.

In your safe protected world where you have the luxury of wearing rose colored glasses bad mouthing law abiding gun owners the Govt kills for you daily.

People kill, a gun is just a rock with out a human.

and japan has gun violence.

Remember the constitution says you are free to move.
To be secure.
Not to be happy but you are free to pursue happiness.

No one is saying this was not a tragedy.
I think everyone was taken back by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
All for some emotional need to fondle a gun barrel? Wouldn't it be better for them and for yourself for you to instead seek some form of therapy to deal with your inadequacies?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the ar15 bushmater .223(22 caliper) is capible of the same as any other magazine fed weapon...as fast as the NUT JOB can pull the trigger...one bullet per trigger pull...

he changed magazines over 4 times

btw the classic '''frontiersman''' rifle (a lever action winchester 1892) was a 44 cailber(used the same ammo as the colt peacemaker pistol) it had a 15 round tube magazine, and could be fired quite quickly (you can see the action of it on in the opening credits of "the rifleman" with chuck connors on B+W tv)
The wild west days are over. Time for us to grow up.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,345,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You discuss Black violence on a regular basis and I agree weapons are not conducive to that current culture.

Why don't we ban any Blacks from owning guns and see what happens to the crime rate and murder statistics? Chicago would be a great place to start.

Well we have a 14th amendment that prohibits unequal treatment based on race in the law. However police resources should be focused on these areas and folks should use prudent profiling.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Seeing as this really has nothing to do with the shooting but your desire to control others.
OMG, it's all a big conspiracy!

Quote:
Why are we at war all over the middel east?
Because we don't want it in our streets.
But it is in our streets and has been for a very long time. You didn't know this? Huh. If anything, we gave it to them, not the other way around.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,711,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
there are many different scenarios where this might be beneficial to the person with them. if your house is broken in by 4-5 people there to do harm to you you might need every bullet you have available. Real world is not like the movies, you dont just randomly point a gun and shoot every single person around in the head. The intruders could be doped up and not feel pain. read up on police reports relating to these kinds of individuals, some times it takes 5-6 rounds into them before they are stopped. if you have 4 people in your house coming after you and it might take 5 rounds to stop each that is 20 rounds right there. that gives you a cushion of missing 10 times. Again, this isnt an everytime scenario, but i would rather be over prepared than not prepared at all. We're not all champion marksmen, sometimes you have to shoot and pray.

As for the people that say these weapons are "Never" used for hunting. Then I cant believe you are posting in the Texas forum. Wild Ferral Hogs costs our state about 4 billion dollars every year in damages. Most hunters that go out to kill hogs use an AR-15 so they can make multiple shots before all the pigs scatter. The abilility to use the 30 round magazine allows them to reload less and hunt more. People even hunt them from helicopters since they are such a burden to our state.

Also, just remember, the police dont carry a gun to protect YOU, they carry that gun to protect THEMSELVES. When you only have SECONDS to live or protect yourself, just remember that the police are only MINUTES away. Ask the intruder to stop and leave you alone until the police show up. Like War Beagle has said multiple times, the police are an AFTER the fact process most of the time. How often do you ever read that a home invasion was stopped before it started because the police showed up just in time? keep searching.
"If your house is broken into by 4-5 people there to do you harm?"--I think you're the one living in a hollywood fantasy. What is that you're envisioning, Taken 3, Commando 2? That sort of scenario may be pleasurable to review in your head, but it ain't gonna happen to you. I mean, yes, there could always be some scenario of danger that you'd need some hypothetical supply of ammunition to defend yourself from, up to and including a nuclear arsenal, but is that a reason to go out and prepare for it? I can certainly imagine getting run into on the freeway by an 18 wheeler--a scenario infinitely more likely than having 4-5 guys enter my house in order to do me harm--but I still go out there and drive in my Explorer. 30 round magazines are a joke--they are big gun industry tycoons cashing in on a piddly macho fantasy of control. And that's the real reason we have gun violence in this country: macho fantasies of control. Nevertheless, 30 round magazines make the kind of violence in Connecticut possible. Banning them alone probably won't solve the problem, but it certainly won't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies