Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You forgot to add that most home invaders already have guns so that if you don't have your on you there is a good chance that you are history
If someone is set on killing me it's probably going to happen. There are very very few situations where having a gun would help me. We are never 100% safe in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Family, friends and aquaintances are not going to break/sneak into my home....why would they?

Plus, you are assuming I would shoot before I had identified my target.....just because others have done so.

If guns were banned.....every criminal out there would view women such as myself as easy targets.....they wouldn't have the added deterrent of knowing that maybe, just maybe.....they could be shot and killed if they break into my home. You might as well declare open season on women who live alone.

No thank you.

I want my right to own a gun to protect myself and I want criminals to know I might have a gun to protect myself.

Just the fact that I may have a gun in this house is a deterrent, just as my security lights, the locks on my doors, and my dog are deterrents. Owning a gun is one more layer of protection I am going to take advantage of.
First of all, even if such a ban went into effect, it wouldn't involve taking them all out of circulation at the same time. That would be impossible. It would take years, maybe even decades. Secondly, your concern about becoming a target of every criminal out there just doesn't stand up to the experience other nations have had in dealing with this issue. And at any rate, there are other, non-lethal methods to protect oneself in such situations. Running away is popular. Keeping a gun in your house makes you LESS secure, not more secure.

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
tell that to my neighbor whose house was invaded by 4 people that tied them up and then robbed and beat them. Tell them it is just a fantasy that would never happen. And yes your explorer can get hit by an 18 wheeler, not likely but you still wear your seat belt i bet. So i have my guns.
Well then it's definitely not going to happen to you, because statistically it's almost impossible that that would happen to your neighbor and then to you! (I kid, and I don't really buy your story about the neighbor, though it is certainly within the realm of possibility--just not likely)

Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You forgot to add that most home invaders already have guns so that if you don't have your on you there is a good chance that you are history
There is an even better chance that even if you have a gun, you'll never get the chance to use it before you are toast.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
When a gun could help you: someone is threatening/shooting/whatever and you have a gun on you all loaded up but are not directly being threatened by someone with a gun. In other words, you have time to react, out of sight of whoever is threatening, and surprise them. If they have you in their sites already you won't have a chance to use it. If the gun is not on you or loaded and someone is directly threatening you I don't see how it can help at all. If someone is slowly coming to threaten you and you know it (ie: hear someone breaking in, etc) you may have time to get to your gun, depending on where you are and where it is and where someone broke in. You may also have time to run away, call the police, hide, etc.

I think most people who will use a gun on somone else probably had reason to belive someone was going to try to kill them.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Again, no one is talking about creating a utopia, so stop with strawman arguments. I am tralking about making our country a safe place in which to live and raise our children. Take a look at the list of countries by firearm related deaths. There are, in fact, ways to do this, as evidenced by the countries with far fewer gun-related deaths than we have. And by the way, we are far from the worst out there. But we can and should do much better (the fact that we aren't is a horrible blot on our nation), and I for one see no reason why we cannot look at what other countries that are more successfully controlling this issue have done and consider doing some of those things:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again, you're looking for utopia. There's no such thing as a "safe place to live" ANYWHERE. Many have tried to show the fallacies of your arguments and yet you choose to ignore them and continue on saying the same things in different ways. Some of the countries you point to also have a very controlling law enforcement contingent which won't go over well here. I can't imagine that there will EVER be a change to the 2nd Amendment because I don't think anyone could convince enough states to ratify the change so that's out. Why not try concentrating your energy on changing how the mentally ill are handled or are you just wanting to keep arguing about taking guns away?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The odds of you being home invaded are low. The odds of you being home invaded and having the chance to go get you gun from whatever safe place you keep it and shooting the invaders is even lower. There are very very few situations where it would help you.

They don't know you have a gun so that isn't a deterent to anyone.

I don't care that you have one, but the security factor is mostly in your head. I'm not saying it's not there at all, but I think your dog and a good strong lock is more likely to keep you safe.

I agree. We have two good-sized dogs and the male is very vigilant and protective. My "down-home" protection measures include a can of wasp spray (it shoots 20 feet) and keeping the remote lock with a panic button for the car by the bed (it works usually up to 120 feet).

Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
But I doubt that he would have succeeded in stabbing twenty babies at an elementary school.
Those kids were not killed with their own gun, which is what I was addressing.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Get a damn security system. It's way more foolproof and user friendly.

Oh, wait ... it's not really about security, is it? It's about showing off the status symbol, acting and talking tough, and getting that little rush when you touch your weapon ...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
The wild west days are over. Time for us to grow up.
You obviously have not been to some of the "seedier" places in most major cities like Chicago,Detroit,New Jersey,San Francisco,Los Angeles etc. Maybe a vacation tour of these lovely places might educate you on the fact that yes Virginia, it is still very much the "wild west" in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies