Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The problem with this position is that the weapons you seek to ban are not frequently used in crimes. Fewer than 1% of all murders are committed using them, and shockingly enough, KNIVES kill more people on an annual basis than so called "assault weapons".

Why are you not calling for a ban on knives?
That is the reality that folks won't even take the time to research. The data is out there. I've posted it on a couple threads and they just rant on screaming to ban assault rifles which will do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Well, in your world you evidently expect -- or pretend to expect -- entire armies to blast in your doors. In my world, security systems alert trained law enforcement instantly and also provide specially-designed doors and locks. Based on stuff like, you know, space technology.

But of course the one thing they don't provide is an excuse to fondle weapons of death and brag about them to your friends.

Never mind.
Law enforcement instantly.

My "local" police don't even have a listed phone number. You HAVE to call 911, which connects you to the county dispatcher, explain the situation to that dispatcher, who will then contact the appropriate agency, be it an ambulance service, fire department, sheriff's department, or "local" police. Instantly? Only if an instant is 40 minutes or more.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The problem with this position is that the weapons you seek to ban are not frequently used in crimes. Fewer than 1% of all murders are committed using them, and shockingly enough, KNIVES kill more people on an annual basis than so called "assault weapons".

Why are you not calling for a ban on knives?
So what? This is the weapon that was used in this (Connecticut) shooting. I believe it was also the weapon James Holmes used in Aurora.

What is with this fixation on knives.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You are gun ignorant. That's what makes you dangerous.

Automatic weapons are already illegal for the public to own without considerable paperwork. They don't sell automatic weapons at Wal-Mart. Your average revolver is just as powerful as your average pistol. The most common pistol caliber sold is the 9mm. According to one source, the .357mag is the most popular revolver caliber. In terms of power, the .357 is more powerful. Revolvers are generally limited to six rounds. Pistols carry between 10 and 17. In the old days a cop could speed load his six shooter almost as fast as modern pistol.

In my opinion, if I had to pick one handgun it would likely be a revolver because they tend to be more reliable and I have no need for 7 or 17 shots. But my situation is different than yours might be.

The Bushmaster is nothing more than a scary looking hunting rifle that uses a smaller round than most modern hunting rifles. Most don't categorize it as a high-powered round. It is a fast round - a small projectile with a large casing. The AR-15 clones are a waste of money in my opinion but just because I don't want or need one doesn't mean somebody else doesn't.

Your posts are all emotion-based. The events in CT are tragic and sad, and speak towards a systemic problem in our society with violence and a lack of mental health care. We would do better as a nation to spend our limited resources addressing those issues rather than rushing to decisions based on emotion which are likely contrary to the constitution.

I am not impressed by your extensive knowledge of guns, unless you are 15, in which case an fascination with such things would make sense, in the context of sexual frustration.

If the shooter in CT had a bolt action rifle with an 8 round magazine you'd have far fewer kids dead, and that's a fact, which in itself is a reason to control sales of AR15's an high capacity magazines. At least some sensible gun owners on this site and elsewhere have the mental maturity to put their obsessive hobby aside for a second and think about everyone else for a change.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what? This is the weapon that was used in this (Connecticut) shooting. I believe it was also the weapon James Holmes used in Aurora.

What is with this fixation on knives.

It's NRA dope talking point #1. The sign of a frightened little man clinging to his beloved weapons.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is the reality that folks won't even take the time to research. The data is out there. I've posted it on a couple threads and they just rant on screaming to ban assault rifles which will do nothing.
I'd welcome the next Newtown wanna be to use a knife instead of a gun. All the Newtowns, Auroras, etc..have been weapons with military style rapid firing capability for obvious reasons. They are designed solely to inflcit massive casualties in a fast fashion -utilizing bullets not meant to stop, but to mutilate..

Had this maniac been armed with a kinfe, by 60 seconds inside the building, he'd have been mutilated.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
173K out of 300+ million. Looks like your outnumbered.
176,072 now and increasing fast.

The number was in comparison to 7,000 people who signed the petition to arm classroom teachers. I think common sense is beating the gun nuts, by a landslide on that one.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Any modern firearm could have accomplished the same. Even a .22 revolver. Your ignorance with regards to firearms is clouding your judgement.
Yes, he could have killed 26 people with a six shooting .22 revolver...right after he finishes his Ninja classes.

I don't think you ever had any judgement to cloud, but your immature fixation on guns makes it even worse.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
[quote=dman72;27393694If the shooter in CT had a bolt action rifle with an 8 round magazine you'd have far fewer kids dead, and that's a fact, which in itself is a reason to control sales of AR15's an high capacity magazines. At least some sensible gun owners on this site and elsewhere have the mental maturity to put their obsessive hobby aside for a second and think about everyone else for a change.[/quote]

Bingo. And I'd add, these cowards are using clips with tremendous amounts of rounds for a second reason. They know the time needed to reload is an opportunity for others to jump them, ending their rampage. We need to make sure the next time this happens, more time is spent reloading.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
[/b] I beg to differ, the illegal guns on street corners, are mostly stolen weapons, taken during the commission of a crime, from homes or gun stores.
Where were those guns originally purchased? From a fishing boat from China loaded with handguns, or at a gun show in some state that has lax gun laws?

The guns are hear legally in the first place. We have so many guns available because they are legally manufactured and sold in the first place. Get it yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies