Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

As long as we tolerate unregulated gun ownership by citizens, we will have to accept these sorts of things. Banning assault rifles, large magazines etc will not stop or reduce it appreciably. There are just too many guns out there on the streets and in homes. Only a total and absolute ban on possession will do. More people died in this shooting today than in the UK, which severely restricts firearms, from shootings in an entire year. Repeal the applicable provisions of the 2nd Amendment, confiscate guns and put them in armories allowing them only to be checked out by unquestionably responsible people for hunting and shooting sports.

BTW, I say this as an owner of several guns and one who carries concealed and enjoys shooting recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No mother or father should send their kid to elementary school and have them never come back.
School is one of the few places left that a parent feels they can send their child and their child is safe. But now so many public schools have metal detectors and security personnel. What kind of society have we become that children are no longer safe in school and live under security???

So far 27 dead, 18 children grads K to 4th. What a very, very sad day.

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Ok, I now think we need some changes. The past years with the numerous shootings is enough. Guns need much more heavy regulations. My opinion on gun ownership is starting to change rapidly.
Agreed it's becoming clear as this country becomes sicker mentally and morally guns are going to have severely restricted.

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
America, when will you give up your love affair with guns? 27 dead?
Yes, so we can be more like Mexico a country that has extremely strict gun laws.

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
This is a horrible story. Senseless! I have a 9 year old, and I couldn't imagine how I would feel if it happened in his school. Having said that, keep this in mind. Guns don't kill people! People kill people! Those of you who are against people owning guns and allowing people to protect themselves, remember this... Criminals don't give a crap, and will still continue to get the guns. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CRIMINALS!!!!!

Just because some nut job goes bat s*** crazy doesn't mean it should ruin it for normal folks.
Can criminals still get guns? Yes. However, countries that heavily regulate guns have shown that gun crime DRAMATICALLY drops when they are hard to get. We have a double-edged sword with the 2nd amendment. It is great for people who are responsible, but it also empowers more criminals to commit acts with easy access to guns.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As long as we tolerate unregulated gun ownership by citizens, we will have to accept these sorts of things. Banning assault rifles, large magazines etc will not stop or reduce it appreciably. There are just too many guns out there on the streets and in homes. Only a total and absolute ban on possession will do. More people died in this shooting today than in the UK, which severely restricts firearms, from shootings in an entire year. Repeal the applicable provisions of the 2nd Amendment, confiscate guns and put them in armories allowing them only to be checked out by unquestionably responsible people for hunting and shooting sports.
And you think criminals are going to turn in their guns? Ha ha ha.

Good one!

Should I ask for permission to breathe too?

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
This is a tragedy.

However, it is risky to live in a free society. Do not hinder the rights of people to own firearms because someone else breaks the law.

And I'm a fairly liberal person.

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Agreed it's becoming clear as this country becomes sicker mentally and morally guns are going to have severely restricted.
Exactly what they want to hear. Never let a crisis go to waste. Sadly.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
What is common sense legislation to you?

I just do not understand the Liberal logic: God forbid we ask people to show an ID before voting. We are discriminating against minorities because it is their RIGHT to vote right? But then you all turn around and want to infringe on my RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

At least try to pretend you are consistent.
Last time I checked 18 kids don't die when someone commits voter fraud.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
And you think criminals are going to turn in their guns? Ha ha ha.

Good one!

If they did this...which they won't, you would have a full fledged civil war in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies