Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,021,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Absolutely. The union was a common topic among the employees who supported it, and they were apparently the most miserable to work with. My uncle only worked there because it was the only good job available to him at the time.
HR people aren't union in any company i've ever heard of. So why would it have made any difference to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,775,703 times
So in other words this company and department were completely made up? It's easier to make that accusation than to address the issue, isn't it?

I will say that the company eventually did modernize their systems. But it took them at least TWENTY YEARS to do so. That's how out of date they were when he was there.

You can't say that it was a financial issue that kept them from modernizing. Would it really have been cheaper to employ 12 full time staff for twenty years than to convert to a system that a personal computer could handle?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
So in other words this company and department were completely made up? It's easier to make that accusation than to address the issue, isn't it?

I will say that the company eventually did modernize their systems. But it took them at least TWENTY YEARS to do so. That's how out of date they were when he was there.

You can't say that it was a financial issue that kept them from modernizing. Would it really have been cheaper to employ 12 full time staff for twenty years than to convert to a system that a personal computer could handle?
Address what issue? From the story you gave, there really wasn't anything to address.

If a company didn't modernize, it's their own fault. I've never heard of a union keeping a company from modernizing. Sorry.

You just seem to be angry that 12 people didn't lose their jobs sooner, which i'm sure would've made you very happy.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,311,903 times
I worked in a GM plant with the UAW, though I wasn't a member. It was idiotic. We would have problems with a machine that should have taken 15 minutes to fix. A call goes in and the machine repairman (skilled trade classification) shows up. Looks around and figures out a guard must come off. So...a call goes in for a tinsmith (another trade) to remove the guard..while the first guy wanders off. Tinsmith shows up removes the guard. Finally the first guy shows back up and starts digging further...ah-ha, the problem is a limit switch that needs to be adjusted, we'll be done in 2 minutes. Nope...gotta call in the electrician to adjust that. Half hour later, one might show up. SO, we get the switch adjusted and are ready to rip, right? Nope...gotta get that tinknocker back to set the guard back on. OK..finally ready to hit the switch. OOps, where did that first guy go again? He has to remove his safety lock from the machine before it can be fired up. So...2-3 hours go by and three people end up involved in a job that should have taken the first guy 15 minutes. There was a reason GM spun off many of their component divisions and created Delphi.

As a manufacturing engineer responsible for the department, I often just fixed the problem myself and let the union write their little grievances. Kept the committeeman and my boss tied up and out of my way, while I actually got the job done. Many of the better union tradesmen were as sick of the system as I was.

On the other hand, I've worked in other jobs with trades union people that were very hard working and skilled.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM

.....and the stories just keep coming. LOL

Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,209,597 times
Quote:
Okay, so you are a liberal. We get it.
Now we understand the true meaning of this thread. Denigrate as many libs as possible. The forum is full of these since yesterday.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,209,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I worked in a GM plant with the UAW, though I wasn't a member. It was idiotic. We would have problems with a machine that should have taken 15 minutes to fix. A call goes in and the machine repairman (skilled trade classification) shows up. Looks around and figures out a guard must come off. So...a call goes in for a tinsmith (another trade) to remove the guard..while the first guy wanders off. Tinsmith shows up removes the guard. Finally the first guy shows back up and starts digging further...ah-ha, the problem is a limit switch that needs to be adjusted, we'll be done in 2 minutes. Nope...gotta call in the electrician to adjust that. Half hour later, one might show up. SO, we get the switch adjusted and are ready to rip, right? Nope...gotta get that tinknocker back to set the guard back on. OK..finally ready to hit the switch. OOps, where did that first guy go again? He has to remove his safety lock from the machine before it can be fired up. So...2-3 hours go by and three people end up involved in a job that should have taken the first guy 15 minutes. There was a reason GM spun off many of their component divisions and created Delphi.

As a manufacturing engineer responsible for the department, I often just fixed the problem myself and let the union write their little grievances. Kept the committeeman and my boss tied up and out of my way, while I actually got the job done. Many of the better union tradesmen were as sick of the system as I was.

On the other hand, I've worked in other jobs with trades union people that were very hard working and skilled.
I worked for a county highway department (union) and it took 3 people to patch a pothole, one to work the shovel and two to supervise on how to do it more efficiently.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,540,420 times
Given GMs multiple brawls with unions over the years, it's amazing that they ever got any cars off their assembly lines in the first place.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM

31,862 posts, read 14,841,144 times
Quote:
My uncle worked used to work for a unionized company. In addition to it being an overall miserable place to work, he told me about the inefficiencies that resulted from the union rules. There was a department that was still using 20 year old data center technology, in an effort to preserve the jobs for the people that worked there. It required 4 employees to be there 24/7. The department used two complete floors of the office building.

Other companies were using a single desktop computer to do the same thing. Something that could be done by a cell phone today.

Is that sort of practice good for our economy? Or is it insanity?

Why are you blaming the union for the company using 20 year old technology. That's the company's fault. Union rules have nothing to do with it. Unions look after the employees

Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,081,568 times
Quote:
My uncle worked used to work for a unionized company. In addition to it being an overall miserable place to work, he told me about the inefficiencies that resulted from the union rules. There was a department that was still using 20 year old data center technology, in an effort to preserve the jobs for the people that worked there. It required 4 employees to be there 24/7. The department used two complete floors of the office building.

Other companies were using a single desktop computer to do the same thing. Something that could be done by a cell phone today.

Is that sort of practice good for our economy? Or is it insanity?
Do you think these guys would have paid for a union to avoid this accident happening: Upper Big Branch Mine disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies