Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The kids are all still alive. Imagine if this mentally ill man had had a gun?
You mean like the 85 dead kids in Norway, one of the lands of no guns?

BBC News - Norway police say 85 killed in island youth camp attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You're jumping to conclusions that don't exist. Nobody thinks that stabbing/slashing kids (or anyone else) is okay. And no one would be "happy" about it, except that people survived what could be a deadly attack. Just that, in comparison, people would rather a would-be killer used a knife than a gun. It takes more time, effort, and will to get up close and bloody with a knife. A gun removes you from the actual killing, taking the effort out of it, but retaining the lethality. Training to kill with a gun involves shooting at something, whereas training to kill with a knife would require more hand to hand-type training.

Knives can be deadly. But this man, even though he was able to hurt 22 children, did not kill any of them so far. Grown man with a knife versus 22 children smaller and weaker than himself, and they survived despite his efforts.
Tell me how many of them survived past getting hauled out of the school. The link says nothing about that but since it is from CNN I would suppose that they didn't want us to know since they know how progs would behave with that news about not killing so many.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think most people would choose a cut in the arm as opposed to a bullet in the head.
The greatest fear of my life had always been getting cut by a knife or having my chest ripped open. As a nurse told me after my 6 bypass heart surgery they took care of both of my fears and I didn't even know about it. I still don't want to be ripped by a knife.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh for God's sake STOP.

It's not okay for any of it.

I have a five year old child, I can't fathom any of this. Just stop. Anyone should want some kind of solution, not just liberals.
Take the guns and make libs happy. Then you can take all the hunting type knives and meat cleavers so as to avoid them in mass attacks. When will it stop?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is sad that this kind of tragedy is nothing but political fuel for people like the OP.
Have you failed to see any of the liberal posts about today's Connecticut shooting? Surely you might have seen some liberal activity in them. I sure did.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Will KUchief25 and Roysoldboy please just write your manifestos already. All of the political trolling and emotional baiting is giving me a headache. Take the time to write a coherent argument on what you're trying to say and be done already. Pftt!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Except knives have other utility purposes besides the sole purpose of killing and maiming.
If a killer has the knife in his hand it has no other purpose. Surely not target practice. I intend to shoot my new handgun at targets plenty of times and not at people but don't think I would have any problem with emptying the magazine in either of these two men.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM

25,844 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The point is if the maniacs who attacked those children in China had guns, chances are some of the wounded would be DEAD instead of only wounded.

I bet the parents of the children lost today wish their children were only wounded and were still alive.
Guns make powerless people powerful. That is the reason so many people own them. It takes some skill to kill with a knife, it takes none to kill with a gun.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Take the guns and make libs happy. Then you can take all the hunting type knives and meat cleavers so as to avoid them in mass attacks. When will it stop?
I have never, in any post on this subject, said take THE guns.

Can't you have a rational discussion about how this has gone too far and is not right for anyone, anyone at all, even gun owners?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You mean like the 85 dead kids in Norway, one of the lands of no guns?

BBC News - Norway police say 85 killed in island youth camp attack
And this happens how often in Norway vs. how often in the US? As in any system, there will always be the occasional person who gets through. I don't know Norway's gun laws (no gun? registered long guns for hunting?), but states and countries with more strict gun laws have far fewer gun injuries & fatalities than more lenient ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies