Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM

223 posts, read 246,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Some insane person just shot 18 kindergartners and 9 adults in a school in Connecticut.

In fact, NOTHING can prevent a mostly-OK-looking guy from secretly getting a weapons (gun or knife or car or etc.) and going someplace and suddenly killing a bunch of people.

NOTHING.

Except a draconian police state that watches, checks, interrogates, regulates, and controls EVERYBODY. Is that what we should put in place?
Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a car?

Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a knife?

Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a gun?...sadly yes.

Gun don't kill people, they just make it a hell if a lot easier too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

It's hyperbole like this that stalls intelligent and rational discussion about gun control. The sooner America gets people like you out of the narrative the quicker we can find a solution.
Remember there are THREE fingers pointing back at you.

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
What's wrong with making it difficult for homicidal mentally ill people from getting a gun.
Same thing that's wrong with asking a pregnant woman to inform the father. It's an undue burden. We can take some reasonable precaution in who can buy a gun and who can't. But we can't require a psych evaluation before a gun purchase. That's no different than the literacy tests before letting someone vote. It's an onerous burden put on someone trying to exercise their constitutional rights.

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Yes, because there are too many wackos getting access to guns.

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
So how do we stop this killing? What is the solution?

Status-quo is not getting us anything but more deaths!

Its not bad people killing at random.. but perfectly good people getting a moments fit and killing people.

We need some change.. something. anything...Otherwise we will have this argument forever while innocent blood is spilled on the streets!
so its good people that do these mass shootings? not people who have planned the shootings in advance? you are very short sighted on this.

i own four firearms, and there are times i get quite angry at people, but i dont go around shooting at people because i am pissed off. so lets look at the problem shall we? we have been taking god out of the equation since the early 60s, combine that with the cheapening of human life due to easy access to abortions, and the easy use of the insanity defense, especially the temporary insanity defense, and the fact that we slap criminals on wrist many times untio we finally toss them in jail for a long stretch, and that we condemn cops for being brutal, EVEN THOUGH they use only the amount of force needed to apprehend a suspect, and that we have developed a victim mentality in this country, combined with the constant push to "understand other peoples rage" crap, and you have all the fixings for people going off the deep end and committing crimes like these mass shootings.

what can we do? first start forcing people to take personal responsibility for the things they say and do. it used to be that a mans word was his bond, now we need 2000 page contracts that spell everything out in detail.

second, stop coddling criminals. if they commit a crime and the punishment is five years, then they do five years, not 2 and out on good behavior. if we have problems with prison overcrowding, the build more prisons and use convict labor to save money.

third, make it harder to use an insanity defense, especially the temporary insanity defense. and if someone is deemed insane by a jury, then they should be guilty but insane. that way if they escape from the mental institution, they can be hauled back and tossed into jail. it also allows that these criminals can be kept locked up until they are judge sane again.

fourth, lets put god back into society. while there were issues in the past, they did not happen as often as they do today.

fifth, lets put a reverence for human life back into the picture again. lets stop making abortions so easy to get for instance. lets stop making excuses for people who display their anger all the time. lets stop making everything bad for you, and understand that things really can be your fault. we need to eliminate the victim mentality that has built up over the years. we need to stop punishing children who stand up to bullies. and we need to stop coddling the bullies. perhaps reinstate corporal punishment in schools, and get the parents involved again as well. when i was in school, and i was punished for good reason by the school, my parents added to the punishment rather than sued the school.

sixth, we need to get a proper drug problem going for kids these days. back when i was a kid, i got drug to the supermarket, to church, and other places by my parents. today kids just sit and play their video games and dont get drug anywhere.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In China today, another nut case stabbed twenty school children with a knife.
I saw that, horrible.

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In China today, another nut case stabbed twenty school children with a knife.

sounds like they need to outlaw all knives within 1000 feet of schools over there.

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, you're completely wrong. Liberals think the militia clause is a license to simply ignore the rest of the ammendment. It isn't.

Kinda like the "I got mine, screw everyone else" crowd thinks the "promote the general welfare" clause is meaningless fluff and should be wholeheartedly ignored, eh?

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This is the problem with the anti gun crowd. You don't know the difference between automatic, semi, military, etc.

Automatic weapons are and should be illegal. The "assault rifles" that everyone is complaining about are nothing more than regular rifles that look a little scary. One pull, one shot. Just like a handgun, revolver, etc.

Crazy is crazy. You cannot legislate against it. If you want the argument against gun control, look at Chicago and DC, two of the highest murder rates and two if the most strict in gun control. It's no coincidence.

What happened today is horribly tragic and I've shed tears over it. Most have. But gun control won't change crazy people. For every horrible person like this there are millions and millions that own multiple firearms, and pray to God we never have to use them, but are prepared if we do.

What happened today is a result of a world moving away from God.
Consider this, a crazy person in China attacked 22 children at a school today (yesterday) with a knife. All of those children are still alive right now, only 2 in serious condition. Most are back with their families. These children in Conn. never had a chance.

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

It's hyperbole like this that stalls intelligent and rational discussion about gun control. The sooner America gets people like you out of the narrative the quicker we can find a solution.
In other words, you can't answer any of the questions I asked, so you make personal attacks and wild accusations with nothing to back them up instead.

Run along, the adult are busy here.

Back to the subject:
In fact, NOTHING can prevent a mostly-OK-looking guy from secretly getting a weapons (gun or knife or car or etc.) and going someplace and suddenly killing a bunch of people.

NOTHING.

Except a draconian police state that watches, checks, interrogates, regulates, and controls EVERYBODY. Is that what we should put in place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies