Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course there are way too many guns out there, every reasonable person knows that. And the old justification that they prevent a tyranny is obsolete. Tens of millions of Americans have considered the Obama administration just that and could not do anything to stop it, despite all their guns.
In the long run one would really have to get rid of the arms already out there.

Anyway, there also seems to be a widespread disrespect for human life to begin with. Although TV and movies are not reality, to a certain extent they do give a general idea of how a society works, feels, of its values and manners. Death is usually belittled there, even made fun of. People getting killed seems to be taken for granted. Another aspect is that whole patriotic/militaristic crap about US culture, it is not a loving, peaceful society.
Foreign nations know that a ground invasion within the United States would meet far more resistance than in any other country. Why? Not because of the military.....but because the populace is a well-armed militia. If a foreign nation should ever get so far as to embark on a ground invasion of the USA, you can bet the farm that the unarmed neighbors around you would be quite happy to know that the crusty, weird white dude next door was a gun enthusiast in that schit-hits-the-fan scenario. And you can bet that the enemy would fear him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I can admit that I am not too clear as to what classifies an automatic vs semi automatic, but whatever can shoot off a reported 100 rounds without reloading does not need to be in the hands of a civilian, period.
An automatic weapon can fire one round after another with a single trigger pull. In other words a machine gun.

A semi-automatic weapon fires a round with a trigger pull, and ***** the trigger, ready for the next trigger pull. To fire 10 rounds you must pull the trigger ten times. Many pistols are semi-automatic. Some rifles are semi-automatic.

None of this has anything to do with reloading.

The "assault weapons" you read so much about are really just "assault style" weapons. They look like military rifles. And they may have a magazine to hold bullets. But they are not automatic weapons.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM

490 posts, read 650,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun is an inanimate object, a gun cannot think, a gun cannot do, a gun does not go off unless willed to do so by the hands of a person, a gun has no feelings which can be turned into emotion and be inacted negatively.
Ok. Then let's make millions of guns but don't let people have any of them. That way the gun never has any feelings.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
All it takes is a tragedy to occur and next thing you know liberals are drooling all over the prospect of new gun control regulations.

AS IF putting a halt to certain gun sales today has anything to do with the hundreds of millions of weapons already in the hands of citizens.

Such amazing foresight!!! We can expect nothing less from our not-so-bright colleagues on the Left!!

you have to remember that alot of politicians and democrats will want to blame something rather than blame the person doing the crime. they will want to blame the firearms because they seek to control the one thing that is keeping the politicians from subjucating the american populace.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 12-14-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I really, really wish we had some deeper thinkers here on the forum. Especially from the liberal side of the house.

My comment was not about the 2nd Amendment or being a "gun lover." My comment was about the eagerness of that individual to piiss away a Constitutional right simply because he disagrees with it.

I'd encourage you to try deeper analysis of what's actually being said instead of throwing around off the cuff remarks that don't have crap to do with what I said.

Deal?
Oh, I suppose that advocating a revisit of certain Amendments makes one less American?
Is that what you're selling here?

Please, clarify, because I am quite dim-witted and need things spelled out clearly.

How do you feel about the repeal of the 18th Amendment, by the way? Just wondering.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
50-1 the shooter is a GOP voter
I wasn't going to say this but you just forced me to do so. Have you noticed where the last few mass killings took place? Colorado, Oregon, Connecticut. Didn't more than half of the people in those three states vote for Obama? Surely they did since he won the electoral votes in those states.

I think I will offer to take up $1 in your bet.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Ok, atom bombs don't kill people, therefore I don't see the need why we should ban their proliferation then right? The US shouldn't tell Iran that it can't build an A bomb then right?

What gives the US right to step into someone else's country and tell them what they can or cannot do when they have killed MILLIONS and only step in to help a country when there is an asset for them? Please! We have an atom bomb and most A-list countries have the atom bomb as well. If the US wants to set an example then they need to get rid of their atom bombs then. Stop being a bully and think you can tell another country to not build something when you know dang well you carry that piece of artillery equipment.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
And, what, pray-tell, could you tell us about the American educational system? Please, educate us.
For starters your tone is arrogant "pray-tell" - what kind of approach is that? Attitude literally means to look at something from different angels...in order to get a realistic image and understanding of what you are viewing. The attitude I sense here is one that is singular...only one way of looking at the world- and only one way of looking at yourself. You have a ridged system that is not in sympathy or empathetic. This business about insisting "God Bless America"...is the height of arrogance and blind pride - as if you can command God to send you good fortune? If you want sustainable good fortune...You had better change your attitude and stop asking God to bless your nation--- Americans must bless their fellow Americans...it is easy and useless to ask for divine favor when you are not willing to to grant favor to your fellow human beings....

There is your education...free of charge!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Oh, if you aren't a gun-lover then you're anti-American.
That one of the most idiotic things I've ever read.

I suppose you're one of those people who called those who stood against the Iraq/Afghan wars "anti-American", too?

Thought so.
Are you sure that that Afghan war that Obama took over as his own when he sent too few troops in what he called his surge will end in 2014 like he promised? Has the one he stopped with troop withdrawal in Iraq ended yet?

Do you suppose that one could see some demographics in the mass killings? I do.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM

490 posts, read 650,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If the stupid liberals did not restrict gun ownership, those 18 children would still be alive. They would have been armed with guns themselves so they could have fired back at the shooter
You actually want to arm KINDERGARTEN children with guns? You're right, that sounds like the responsible thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies