Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
It would be awful hard to kill 28 people with a knife.
5 year old kids? You need to rethink that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If 20 children had been killed by anything else -- snakes, wolves, zombies a virus, whatever -- everyone and his brother would be clamoring for the government to do something, ANYTHING, to stop the deaths. Commissions would be created, funds would be voted by Congress, and a search for an anti-snake/wolf/zombie/virus solution would start immediately.

But because this involves guns, we just throw up our hands and say, "isn't it sad, oh well, nothing we can do."
Where would the federal government get this power? I see nothing in the Constitution to save anyone from any type of peril. Depending on location this power may fall to state or local authorities save the children.

I don't think of the .gov as helpful with anything. There's nothing more frightening than hearing "We are from the government and we are here to help."

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,872,972 times
You can argue until the cows come home to roost but teh FACT is that those kids are dead and they are dead because of the NRA and the Republican Party. They are the ones who think that it is perfectly fine and dandy for somebody to walk out of a psycho ward or a jail today, walk down the street to a gun show and but an assualt rifle with a 100 round magazine. This is the only country in the world that allows non sense like this.

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I don't think of the .gov as helpful with anything. There's nothing more frightening than hearing "We are from the government and we are here to help."
How marvelous to see original thinking injected into this discussion.

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
I am being rational. There are ways to prevent bears from eating you. There are knives, swords, bows and arrows, and machete.
You want me to fend off an attack from a 400 pound black bear with a bow and arrow or a machete? That's absolutely ridiculous. I refuse to believe you honestly think that this is a rational opinion. What happens when crazies start using machetes or bows in massacres? Then we ban them too?

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
...I didn't see anything about being a que*r and smoking dope either faggetties.
You're going to generate speculation that you are heavily closeted with that kind of talk...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Where would the federal government get this power? I see nothing in the Constitution to save anyone from any type of peril. Depending on location this power may fall to state or local authorities save the children.

There is no such power...

Look up Warren vs District of Columbia

The police and therefore local and state governments have absolutely NO duty to protect you.

Tap'n while driving...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
As far as I'm concerned any gun that holds more than one round is not covered by the 2nd amendment. Ammunition isn't either. So ban all guns that hold more than one round and ban all ammunition. In the 1700's people used ball and black powder. Not such a thing as the steel jacket round.

I say we really go back to the letter of the law.
The first amendment says nothing at all about ammunition or capacity, so we are currently going with 'the letter of the law.'

Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The only stupid, ignorant and stubborn ones are the one trying to pawn off our violence problem on guns. Just another way to shift blame.
What the liberal zealots refuse to admit is that it's their own insane ideologies spurring on these violent episodes.

Intentionally confused children are turning into violently confused adults. We live in this pseudo-candy-lane world where everyone should be a winner, and there are no losers. This freak'n moron was a loser.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM

84 posts, read 180,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
A few nights ago I believed there was an intruder within my house. My wife and child were upstairs, I was downstairs with a loaded gun. The police were not there, but were minutes away when seconds count. Do you not think I would have been completely justified in killing that intruder? I was aiming at the basement door, and had the doorknob rattled by someone trying to come through, I was prepared and had every intention to shoot through that door. All 17 rounds in the clip.

By the time I reached for my gun, I had already decided to kill to protect my wife and child. It's as though the trigger was already pulled. I've gone through the thought process on whether it's right or wrong, whether I could take a human life, whether the life of another is mine to take, etc. The doubt has been settled and I'll act without hesitation should the need arise.

If someone is threatening me or my family, I'm in a perfect position to judge and to act as necessary.

Well, some folks just need killin'. (See above.) And guns are used as sport also. Many a pleasant hour has been spent at the range keeping my proficiency up. Some golf, I shoot.

Again, guns are just tools. It's what a person does with a tool which makes an act good or evil. You could as easily be beat to death with a golf club as shot by a gun.

Again, there are baseball bats, swords, machetes, stun guns, and all sorts of non-lethal weapons. It is only people like you who choose to take another life. Even if an intruder was in your house, you could have used a combination of stun guns, pepper spray, baseball bat, and swords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies