Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is no neighboring country that would bring guns into the US. Mexico doesn't have them. Our guns are way more superior. I agree that prohibition doesn't work. But we do need more regulations. It's a must that we have background checks and we should also have a waiting period.
Of course Mexico would bring guns into the USA. Of course Mexico has guns and can get them. They have every means of doing so, but because guns are legal in the USA, there is no real incentive. Mexico can easily import weapons to supply the USA, just like cocaine is not grown in Mexico, it can be flown in and then delivered to every city and town in the USA very quickly and very efficiently.

That's why prohibition would not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What a mess, I didn't realize MI had a waiting period and other hoops to jump through. In Idaho it's just the federal requirement. Walk in, pick out the gun, fill out the 4473, get the NICS (if you don't have a CCW) and take it home. 10 minutes on a good day, maybe 1/2 hour if the clerks are busy or the FBI is backed up.

In spite of that...we have one of the lowest violent crime rates in the country.
We don't have one either. Go to the gunshop, pick it out...drivers license, fill out the 4473, get the NICS check...then you are on your way. It takes me less than 3 minutes after my 4473 is filled out.

In MI...you can't go buy and walk with it. They want to know the exact gun you are buying. Also means the dealer has to hold it, or set it back for you. The one beside it cannot be substituted for yours on the form.......THEN....YOU STILL need a NICS and 4473.

Do you want a stool sample too? JHC

Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course Mexico would bring guns into the USA. Of course Mexico has guns and can get them. They have every means of doing so, but because guns are legal in the USA, there is no real incentive. Mexico can easily import weapons to supply the USA, just like cocaine is not grown in Mexico, it can be flown in and then delivered to every city and town in the USA very quickly and very efficiently.

That's why prohibition would not work.

Mexico has no guns to sell to us so where exactly would they get them. Think of it this way, if it was between us and Mexico with guns, guess who wins. They wouldn't know what hit them. Our weapons are far superior. And drugs are very different from weapons.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Mexico has no guns to sell to us so where exactly would they get them.
The manufacturers in other nations. It's not that complicated.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Mexico has no guns to sell to us so where exactly would they get them. Think of it this way, if it was between us and Mexico with guns, guess who wins. They wouldn't know what hit them. Our weapons are far superior. And drugs are very different from weapons.
Are you kidding me? The criminal element in Mexico is awash with guns. And not the various semi-auto variants common in this country. Automatic M16s and M4s. Klashnakovs. RPK machine guns. RPGs. And if they can make money selling them here, they will. If we ban the sale of firearms to law abiding citizens, we create the same situation with illegal gangs selling them that we have with illicit drugs.

Making firearms isn't all that hard...the Klashnakovs in particular were designed to be knocked out by uneducated labor in primitive conditions with primitive tooling. And they have been incredibly successful.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Al Capone paid off lawmakers to ban the Tommy gun.

Can we guess why?

Sure we can.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah, sorry, but wrong on both counts. Handgun sales to individuals from out of state are illegal, even in the case of private sales. Most "gun show sales" are from licensed, FFL dealers and require a background check, same as at a gun store. The only sales that do not are between private individuals that happen to be at gun sales, not dealers. And again...if they are handguns and are to an out of state buyer, they are in violation of federal law. Long gun sales between private individuals are legal (as far as the feds are concerned) between out of state buyer/seller (no background check), as long as it's a face to face sale (no shipping).

With regard to internet sales, again, wrong. The "sale" may be made over the internet (I've done several) but the gun must be shipped to a dealer with a FFL. When you pick the gun up from the FFL, a NICS background check is done. The exception in some states (mine included) is if the buyer has a concealed weapons permit. The firearm has to ship to a FFL, but no background check is required. But in order to have a CWP, a federal background check, including fingerprinting, has already been done.

So...do you have any other fallacies I can help dispel?
Yes licensed dealers do checks but anyone can walk out of a gun show with no background check if they purchase from private dealers, 40% of gun sales are unregulated. Additionally there is no tracking of guns, even those "lost" at gun stores, guns change hands with no follow-up.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
spreading that repugnant crap over two threads now.

The only repugnant thing I see is a left wing **** politicizing a tragedy.

Like your leaders say, cant let a good crisis (or tragedy) go to waste, eh.

YC.......
You can't prove my words are wrong:

Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
Republicans scream that abortion "murders baaaaaabies!" but 20 REAL babies are slaughtered and the Republicans ONLY care about their guns....

Republicans: "Do nothing, it's no big deal"

Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes licensed dealers do checks but anyone can walk out of a gun show with no background check if they purchase from private dealers, 40% of gun sales are unregulated. Additionally there is no tracking of guns, even those "lost" at gun stores, guns change hands with no follow-up.

Where did you get those numbers?

Which gun shops "lose" firearms?

All firearms have serial numbers.

Pleez, show me a gun shop, pawn shop, any dealer, etc.........

that will sell a gun without a serial number.

They won't.

You're making stuff up to suit your agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies