Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I think first there needs to be other taxes. After all firearms are taxed before they ven reach the store as is other fishign and hunting items.That is what really supports wildlife funding .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think first there needs to be other taxes. After all firearms are taxed before they ven reach the store as is other fishign and hunting items.That is what really supports wildlife funding .
That is also correct. Ammo has a certain % that goes into this fund. It fixes public boat ramps, pays the clerks at the park, keeps ranges open etc...

Bill Clinton was CAUGHT using this money for other things.

You can look that up if you wish. It's all true.

That should tell you something.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
1. A personal property tax. Upon annual collection, IRS would issue tax stamps that must be kept with the firearm and presented to law enforcement like a fishing license.
2. Non-compliance (possession or transport of untaxed gun) punished same as with contraband weapons under the current National Gun Acts. (Long prison sentences and high fines).
3. Funds to be used for tax collection, non-compliance enforcement, victims compensation, and reduction of the national debt.

What say you?
I agree, the people who pay the NRA's way and create this gun culture in this country should pay the freight of these killings.

Their property tax should be double if they keep a gun on their property. And that money collected should go into a pot to compensate all the victims of gun violence in this country.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I agree, the people who pay the NRA's way and create this gun culture in this country should pay the freight of these killings.

Their property tax should be double if they keep a gun on their property. And that money collected should go into a pot to compensate all the victims of gun violence in this country.
Same rules apply for every tool that is used to kill someone? Double the property tax of everyone who owns a knife. A bat. A car.

Blaming guns when someone kills people with a gun is like blaming the internet when someone creates a hate speech web site.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
So how is the current excise tax any different from a poll tax? If it's constitutional how would a recurring personal property tax not be? Only if it can be shown that it seriously inhibits exercise of second amendment rights?

I'm actually not for banning guns. In fact I used to let my child take a gun to school (with the school's permission of course). I'm just anticipating possible actions some in the government may propose. Granted this topic may be uncharted waters since Heller is a fairly recent decision. I'm surprised DC didn't try passing a gun tax.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
So how is the current excise tax any different from a poll tax? If it's constitutional how would a recurring personal property tax not be? Only if it can be shown that it seriously inhibits exercise of second amendment rights?

I'm actually not for banning guns. In fact I used to let my child take a gun to school (with the school's permission of course). I'm just anticipating possible actions some in the government may propose. Granted this topic may be uncharted waters since Heller is a fairly recent decision. I'm surprised DC didn't try passing a gun tax.
You did what? How could the school give a minor permission to bring a gun to school when a over 21 CCW holder can't even do it. The only thing you can do is pick your kid up with it. That even differs from State to State.

My old man used to bring a rifle and shotgun on the bus and to school. This was back in the 1940's though. Times have changed!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I think your property tax should double when you ignore your neighbors screams for help because you are unarmed and a coward.

Saving her German Shep who was old and in his final years from a woodchuck was the last thing on my Dad's mind this summer. Both were bloody and the woodchuck was one mean SOB. It took no less than two OO Buck 12 ga shots to stop him. Grab the old stage coach double barrel and run. You don't know what you are running to someones aid for until you get there. Could have been a burgler too for all he knew.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
You did what? How could the school give a minor permission to bring a gun to school when a over 21 CCW holder can't even do it. The only thing you can do is pick your kid up with it. That even differs from State to State.
Some of the high schools around here including our public high school have 10m Olympic style air rifle teams. Some schools even have dedicated ranges while others like ours set up large classrooms for it. Pistols and .22s get added to the picture in college. The closest collegiate program to us is WVU's. I do fear that these school incidents will have an adverse effect on shooting programs.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
1. A personal property tax. Upon annual collection, IRS would issue tax stamps that must be kept with the firearm and presented to law enforcement like a fishing license.
2. Non-compliance (possession or transport of untaxed gun) punished same as with contraband weapons under the current National Gun Acts. (Long prison sentences and high fines).
3. Funds to be used for tax collection, non-compliance enforcement, victims compensation, and reduction of the national debt.

What say you?
I say NO.... I say you shall be required to BUY a set of battle ready weapons PAY to take training, Pay to qualify 4 times a year Pay for the ammo from age 18 to age 62.

If you refuse, then you will pay a TAX which is 10 times the equivalent yearly until you do.

Further more you will be required to OPEN Carry at work and at play the battle rifle.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I do not think people realize how easy it is to manufacture firearms; the cartels would have a new business to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies