Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Well Fox, you prove that there is no depth to how low you can go.

Stuffing microphones in the faces of little children and doing a telephone interview and asking them to recount the school shooting? Children who are in shock and aren't able to comprehend the tragedy that they were involved in? Children who lost friends? Those children deserve the respect and the right to privacy as do the families that lost children and other family members.

When the names are released of the children and the adults that died, will you be banging down the doors to stuff a camera and microphone in the faces of the parents and family who lost a child or a family member?

Viki Soto, a 27 year old teacher, put the children in cabinets and cupboards and told them to be very quite and she confronted the shooter who asked where the children were and she told them they were in the gym, then he shot her. She protected your children while you put them on public display to recount something that took place just a couple of hours earlier - for what purpose???? Because they "look OK" and "acted OK" you believe that they are OK? Something has been taken from them!!!!

And the parents? Are you proud that you accommodated Fox News and allowed your children to be used as news fodder? Rather than shielding them and protecting them you put your children on public display. WTF were you thinking???

BIG SHAME ON FOX NEWS AND THE PARENTS WHO ALLOWED THEIR CHILDREN TO BE USED AS NEWS FODDER AND PUT ON DISPLAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
I think you might be blowing this out of proportion a little.

I actually sat with my sons and watched it with them. I wanted them to understand how there are crazy people in the world. Seeing the kids speak about it really helped the issue resonate with them.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Get a grip! I saw and heard children being interviewed and the outlets weren't Fox.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Weren't other networks doing the same?

Anyway, I feel the same way as the OP. I was shocked when I saw them interviewing crying children for what I assume was shock value and sensationalism. If they only wanted an eyewitness account, interview the adults.

Of course, the children could not have been interviewed without parental consent so....

Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Viki Soto, a 27 year old teacher, put the children in cabinets and cupboards and told them to be very quite and she confronted the shooter who asked where the children were and she told them they were in the gym, then he shot her. She protected your children while you put them on public display to recount something that took place just a couple of hours earlier - for what purpose???? .
What an incredibly brave selfless woman. It seems like whenever we hear of these school shootings they are also accompanied by stories of teachers or principals who willingly sacrificed themselves to protect whatever children they could. Next time you feel like trashing teachers or complaining that they are overpaid and underworked try to remember this.

And, you know what? Her story needed to be told, and as a grateful parent I would allow my child to do so.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I think you might be blowing this out of proportion a little.

I actually sat with my sons and watched it with them. I wanted them to understand how there are crazy people in the world. Seeing the kids speak about it really helped the issue resonate with them.
Seeing something from afar - doesn't exactly hit home. They can comprehend the issue in a calm and collective way. But to actually experience it, I don't think it's quite the same. Being hidden, seeing dead children and adults, blood, screaming, hearing shots, running into the woods, confused, not understanding what is going on, it's impossible to feel the terror and fear they had by watching it on television.

I wonder how many children weren't as calm and collective as those interviewed? What if they showed hysterical children? That would probably have given your sons a sense of fear seeing them, but seeing children on TV in shock who had not registered the full extent of the tragedy doesn't quite translate.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What an incredibly brave selfless woman. It seems like whenever we hear of these school shootings they are also accompanied by stories of teachers or principals who willingly sacrificed themselves to protect whatever children they could. Next time you feel like trashing teachers or complaining that they are overpaid and underworked try to remember this.

And, you know what? Her story needed to be told, and as a grateful parent I would allow my child to do so.
Her story should be told and she should be honored for her action.

A child didn't tell her story. An adult did. It may have been told by a child to an adult or a parent - in private - not through an interview.

Last edited by softblueyz; 12-15-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Get a grip! I saw and heard children being interviewed and the outlets weren't Fox.
Then I say shame on them as well. I don't sit glued to the TV and channel surf to see what other stations are doing. I just happened to hear it while I was doing things around the house. So if multiple outlets were interviewing children that would that make it OK in your book?

I see you take issue with the TV station I mentioned, not the fact that children who just went through a tragedy were being allowed by their parents and the media to be used as news fodder!! WOW.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Blame FOX as they well deserve it, but don't overlook the people watching FOX. These are the Jerry Springer folks who enjoy blood and guts. We live in a sick society that love to watch the suffering of others.

Oldhag1,

Amen to that! I salute those teachers who protected their students and lost their own lives. I salute every teacher who is required and expected to protect their charges without so much as a pea shooter. These teachers are among the bravest of all society.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

This.

And I think the parents should say NO...and if they don't object to their children being interviewed, filmed, it is on them...not the networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies