Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate Adam Lanza?
Yes, he's evil and I hope he's burning in Hell 25 28.09%
I feel nothing for him 48 53.93%
I feel very sorry for him and he must have been in a lot of pain 16 17.98%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Seriously? How can you possibly "hate" someone personally that you do NOT KNOW?

You can hate what they did but you cannot possibly hate anyone that you do not personally know since you have no emotional attachment to them in the first place.

I know many Jews that hate Hitler and have never met him before. I love children , and hate anybody that harms them. I dont agree that you have to know somebody to hate them. Bottom line.. If i ever see somebody harming a child I hope the police get there before I do because if not I just might end up in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Do you think it's right to hate to Adam Lanza and do you feel he's truly responsible for his actions? Or was what he did a failure on the part of us all for being a violent and unloving culture?
If there is a hell, I hope he suffers there for all eternity.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
He probably just overreacted to a bad hair day.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No, I don't hate this wretch. I feel sorry for everyone. Once hate becomes part of your being..Evil has won...I don't like to lose to evil. In fact I refuse to submit to evil.
Hatred of evil is not evil. Making excuses for evil...is.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"Mental illness" isn't an excuse for the slaughter of innocent people, any more than "poverty" is or a "bad childhood". This "person" committed a heinous crime, had he survived the attack I would hope he would have been executed... preferably painfully.

Your post does bring up a good point...what are we going to address this kind of person? Do we mandate very rigorous mental health screening on the "goth", "emo", "fake vampire" and "jock" kids in schools? Do we institutionalize those identified as being "off" and a possible threat to society? Lock them up where they can't hurt anyone?
Sorry I respectfully disagree with you.
I hope you are not profiling and labeling "goth" "emo" "fake vampire" (whatever it means" children as future mass murderer. I hope you are not considering people with asperger's syndrome as tickling time bomb.

I agree on the first part of your post that sometimes, "mental illness" is used as an excuse because personal responsibility is a foreign concept to a lot of people, unfortunately.

Nobody is making excuse for Adam Lanza, but nobody can deny that mental health care system is a disaster in this country. I don't want to ban guns, God please do not take my guns away. But can it be common sense please? A severely mentally ill guy + a gun = deadly combo, can we all at least agree on this?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Like everyone else I was alternating between fury and sadness when I heard of this tragedy.

But after reading up on this, I felt something different. Something was so "off" about that boy, hauntingly so, that I don't really know what to think. On one hand, he had no history of cruelty or malicious behavior. On the other hand, he clearly planned a horrific attack.

Adam Lanza, seemed to be a very severe case. After high school, and his parents' divorce, he pulled further and further into himself, spending whole days playing violent video games in his room and refusing to go to college or seek work. He was on a downward spiral. Perhaps he lost all touch with reality, and in his demented mind, killing people was no different than killing enemy combatants in one of his video games. His complete lack of empathy and unconscionable acts were certainly evil, but I am not sure hate is the right response to psychosis. In practical terms, letting a mentally ill person spend all day killing imaginary people, then taking him to the gun range for "target practice," seems to have been very foolish of the mother. I don't hate her either, though I think she was wrong.

My son has asperger's, along with tantrums, and he does not seem interested on sports, school, or much anything except what he is interested in at the time. But he is very smart and obsessive about Pokemon, Dragons, Ninjago Legos,etc. He is frequently surly and prone to tears when asked to do things he does not like. Yet, he hates violent video games, loves animals, wishes he had friends, but has not been very fortunate in that regard (he is an only child, and we live in a town with few kids his age, and he does not effectively engage the ones in his class). He is actually funny, with a great memory for jokes,etc., but he is not very "popular" because he does not follow the crowd. I am seriously wondering if he could do something like this. I strongly doubt it, as most asperger's people, while emotional, are not violent. And my son speaks ill of almost no one. He is a volatile, but basically very kind soul. I struggle with judgment on this. I wish my son acted differently, and I frequently lose my temper with him, but I realize people like him react to life differently than I do, and I keep trying to help him where he is. I feel compassion, not hate, but I realize these kids can react improperly, and that an extreme example could be crime, even murder. My son could be the next Adam Lanza, if a bunch of bad things started to unfold. I, for one, am keeping him away from violent video games and guns. He is obsessive, and that is one obsession that will not end well.

The sad truth is, most of these mass killings are caused by young men, who fail the mental and emotional transition to adulthood. That age (18-25) is when most men get diagnosed with schizophrenia, and I think giving unstable young men access to highly lethal weapons is a mistake.

My final suggestion is practical, not judgmental. We should strive to be able to better forecast and prevent these events through psychiatric study of high risk young men, stronger defenses at schools, and controlling access to such lethal weapons.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
None of the above. I only hate that he is dead and we don't have the pleasure of watching him wiggle and scream as he is lowered by 1/4" increments into flesh-eating acid.
We still do that

Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yeah but your party lost the election, soooooooo.....
It was a Presidential election, not a Congressional one.
Folks are not voting for a King
or at least they shouldn't be.....

Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
I find myself drifting toward hatred. But then I remember that it's pointless and won't bring back the children, so no, I don't hate him, though it's incredibly tempting to give in to those feelings

The best thing to do is to channel our sorrow and anger over this whole tragedy into doing something to ensure that this does not happen again.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
No I don't hate him. I see him as a nearly hypnotized individual who barely knew what he was doing. If he was evil, why no history of other acts like even bullying?

But his mom, I kinda hate her... have great sympathy for her situation, but she also (so far) has exhibited some anti-social behavior. The negligence with the guns, the doomsday prep stuff, and a suspicion that she drove the kid into a rage. [we'll perhaps see how it plays out]

I also hate alot of Righties, one I know didn't even know the basics of the case (like that the mom took the kid to shooting ranges) yet had already formed a case that it was not the guns... shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies