Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually the home owner can use a knife to attack the intruder.
Most bad guys have guns.... I hope your not really serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM

800 posts, read 508,516 times
The OP's hypothetical terrible situation is a very possible one and one of the many reasons that guns should not be banned. Crime would skyrocket and not just in the possession sense that many harmless people would hide them and not turn in their guns. Haven't we already learned that prohibition doesn't work?? With booze AND with drugs. Well a prohibition of guns would probably make the problems of the other ones look like a walk in the park.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Everything I wrote is 100% accurate. If you think of shooting and killing President Obama to stop his tyrannical government, that is crazy shyt.

When people talk about fighting the government, they mean fighting the police, ATF, FBI, national guard, and soldiers, that is who they are talking about killing.

Also, the idea that mostly fat out of shape middle aged men are going to fight the government is crazy shyt.

If you believe any version of that shyt, I feel for you.
Oh this BS........ This is what they are talking about.....

WRONG...... My son is a Lt in the NG of NH and been to the sand box and back.... he tells me they get lesson in LAW and can not be ordered to follow illegal orders.. The Governor can call him out...

What Mil are you talking about it is illegal to call out the army ,navy and air force on We the people Obama can't do that by LAW. Ain't gonna happen read the friggin CONS....

This is why we think you lefty's are brain dead.... You have no clue what in jumpin blue blazes you are whining about............. ever it seems. What do you people do all day? Sit n a corner and play with 'IT'?

I really resent over weight middle aged as i weight 155 pound soaking wet and my hair goes 1/2way down my back Jack!

I defy you to come play in my mountains in dead winter time... You will need to be ready for colder than -40 below for 10 nights out and carry a full pack of food gear guns and ammo ...

No open fires and no shooting except in pre-arranged places. Don't forget you crampons and you ice axe too

yeah Ok sometimes I bum out the 10th Mountain guys because they can't keep up with a old man....

But I give them good hiding places just the same..

Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Most bad guys have guns.... I hope your not really serious.
I have read many posts that claim an assailant, who could not get a gun, could easily accomplish mass killings or homicide with a knife.. Therefore gun control would be futile. If this is truly the case, one could also successfully defend themselves with a knife.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
The OP's hypothetical terrible situation is a very possible one and one of the many reasons that guns should not be banned. Crime would skyrocket and not just in the possession sense that many harmless people would hide them and not turn in their guns. Haven't we already learned that prohibition doesn't work?? With booze AND with drugs. Well a prohibition of guns would probably make the problems of the other ones look like a walk in the park.
Sorry but this can't happen we still have the CONS and if we don't we can pick a legal fight over it. There really won't be that much of a fight either......

Just a lot of Bums getting thrown out...

here allow me.........

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I have read many posts that claim an assailant, who could not get a gun, could easily accomplish mass killings or homicide with a knife.. Therefore gun control would be futile. If this is truly the case, one could also successfully defend themselves with a knife.
I must have missed something.. I don't understand because assailants often times have guns....

Not understanding what you really are saying, if an assailant does have a knife and you have a knife it will depend on which of you has the better training and just happens to have on the most rugged clothing.

Ie: If the victim is in a light cotton summer dress and the bad guy is wearing Duluth Trading Firehouse Brand canvass clothing and good solid gloves like bad guys often like to wear the victim is at even less advantage.

A well trained bad guy with a knife could kill a lot of people with out a lot of trouble true... SAS and Navy Seals can do that sort of thing to trained enemy and do.

Most bad guys don't have that kind of training.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
If the criminal has a gun and all you have is a knife, you are pretty much screwed. Guns can be fired at a distance. In order to defend yourself with a knife, you have to get close to the person with a gun, who will likely fire the gun before you can get close enough. I know, I took self-defense classes and have a blue belt in tae kwon do. In my self-defense classes they even taught us that if you are up against a gun, you are pretty much screwed if you are unarmed.

Every homeowner should have the right to protect himself or herself without penalties from the government or threat of a law suit, whether that means owning a gun, knife, or a large dog.

I one time thought a home invasion would never happen to me. A few years ago I moved into an apartment and didn't know my next door neighbor was crazy. Anyway, he tried to break in and I called the cops, but due to the location of the apartment, the cops wouldn't be there for 20 minutes or so. I didn't own a gun at the time. Luckily, I had a friend who lived closer than the police station and she had a gun. She rushed to my apartment with a gun and scared off my neighbor until the cops could come. If it hadn't been for my friend's gun, I don't know if I would still be here.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Ban guns and little jerk offs, like this kid, will just blow places up or poison everybody. Just lock them up, get them off the streets and out of our neighborhoods.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So, the laws have passed now banning or placing greater restrictions on owning guns. Suddenly there are a rash of home invasions in your neighborhood and all you are allowed to own is a small handgun. What do you do when this group of criminals with unregistered assault weapons busts down the front door of your house? How is your handgun going to fend off 5 guys with a various arsenal of guns coming through your door?
I'd call the police. They never run out of body bags. Luckily I'm worth more dead than alive thanks to my life insurance, and thankfully women can't be raped unwillingly so my wife and daughters will be OK.

Plus, the crooks can file a lawsuit if they survive and retire from crime with our tax dollars when they get out of jail in a few months!

Guns are not the problem. Our culture is sick... that is the problem.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
The real question is even if you managed to ban guns, how are you going to enforce that ban? America just has too many guns and ammunition already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies