Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives are very fear based. The conservative mind needs enemies. They need someone or some group to fear. This is part of the reason that conservatism is exclusionary.
Oh yeah, or maybe they grew up in Miami and saw some of the neighborhood kids coming back from pulling robberies or rode with a couple neighborhood guys to go get weed and stopped at the gas station and two of the guys they were riding with got out, punched an old woman in the face and took her purse. Now this 'conservative' knows the mentality of sick animals and later on in life he gets robbed at gunpoint in a nice suburb of Orlando...lol..Maybe this 'conservative' knows many more personal experiences like this where he wishes he had packed a weapon for defense. I've got a feeling most liberals who speak of controlling guns have never had one pointed in their face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives are very fear based. The conservative mind needs enemies. They need someone or some group to fear. This is part of the reason that conservatism is exclusionary.

They really imagine that they and their families are in imminent danger of being robbed or worse by invading hordes.
That's funny. Although a total independent politically I tend toward the conservative side fiscally and I also own guns Fear? I think not. Even as a combat veteran and a former cop I am anything but paranoid and fearful. I simply enjoy sports shooting to maintain skills I began acquiring as a young child.

I could make a broad, ridiculous generalization statement like, "Liberals are all cowardly and afraid of guns," but I won't because it would make me appear ignorant too.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
If guns are banned where are the criminals going to get them at???

Criminals get their guns from gun owners when they are not home. 99% of all guns used in crimes are stolen or bought from straw buyers. It's not like the Mexican drug cartels are bringing AR-15's over the border nightly...

I'm for allowing shotguns and long rifles, banning assault rifles, requiring a pyshc eval and license to own a handgun. The license would require a clean criminal record other than traffic offenses. All guns would be required to be stored in a federally approved gun safe locked at all times..
Ok, ya, sure.

Build An AK 47

Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
In 2008 japan (which bans guns) had 8 gun related murders. The USA had over 12000 gun related deaths that same year.
If I could send a certain part of our population to Japan things would change here and there!!! I suggest that you visit and walk the streets of Japan for a month and you will see the difference!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Interesting. Do you think laws against the private ownership of autommatic weapons, grenades and tanks have been ineffective?
It's not illegal to own a tank....

Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:

Let me guess, you're one of them low information voters I've heard about.

This country is absolutely swimming in guns. There's no telling how many are out there, and where they all are.

Certainly there is the "low hanging fruit" that a government confiscation could reap if a ban were instituted. But many, many, many, more would remain.

Think there's a lot of gun violence over drug deals gone bad? When the guns themselves become the object of the sale things will get real bad. And the law abiding that have had their guns confiscated will have no means to defend themselves.

Ever hear of "cause and effect"?

YC.......

Last edited by Compression; 12-16-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:

Criminals get their guns from gun owners when they are not home. 99% of all guns used in crimes are stolen or bought from straw buyers. It's not like the Mexican drug cartels are bringing AR-15's over the border nightly...

I'm for allowing shotguns and long rifles, banning assault rifles, requiring a pyshc eval and license to own a handgun. The license would require a clean criminal record other than traffic offenses. All guns would be required to be stored in a federally approved gun safe locked at all times..
There are over 300 million guns in the US....where are criminals going to get a gun from? They're all over the place! If you ban guns do you think all those guns will just disappear on their own? Do you think all gun owners are going to voluntarily hand in their guns? How about the ones that do, are they going to get reimbursed for the fair market value of what their guns were worth.

Gun control will make it safer for police and have some impact on reducing gun violence but, the debate over gun control doesn't come up until something like this school shooting happens and gun control isn't going to do anything to prevent that. A murder suicide? Yes....quite possibly. A police officer getting shot answering a domestic violence call or doing a traffic stop? Yes....again, I can see it helping but, it won't help stop a person planning a mass murder.

Criminals will still get their guns because they need them and they'll make sure they have one before they commit the crimes they plan. The drunk guy that picks up a gun he owns and kills someone or himself...gun control may prevent that because in that case SOME of those people somewhere will have not been able to buy that gun.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So, the laws have passed now banning or placing greater restrictions on owning guns. Suddenly there are a rash of home invasions in your neighborhood and all you are allowed to own is a small handgun. What do you do when this group of criminals with unregistered assault weapons busts down the front door of your house?"""

Good lord, what do you have in your house that an entire army would want.....???....maybe your arsenal??? 'Cause there isn't anything else...

"" How is your handgun going to fend off 5 guys with a various arsenal of guns coming through your door?
Well, it's just an out and out li..."misconception" that anyone wants to ban guns. I listened to lots of politicians on both sides and not ONE NOT ONE wants to ban guns...there may be a freak who does but they're just as looney as those who don't care if 20 kids get gunned down....

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 12-16-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So, the laws have passed now banning or placing greater restrictions on owning guns. Suddenly there are a rash of home invasions in your neighborhood and all you are allowed to own is a small handgun. What do you do when this group of criminals with unregistered assault weapons busts down the front door of your house? How is your handgun going to fend off 5 guys with a various arsenal of guns coming through your door?
You're suggesting that all Americans should arm themselves with assault weapons?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
believe it or not, soldiers took an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. I remember this oath as i took it in 1983. american soldiers, the national guard and the police wont be the ones going out and confiscating the peoples firearms. it will be the civilian arm of the federal goverment.

please take the point out about obama in your post as it might constitute a federal felony.

You are insane. This sick conservative fantasy of defeating a tyrannical government IS about shooting police officers, ATF agents, FBI agents, the national guard, and maybe American soldiers.

I know many conservatives have these fantasies about killing President Obama and restoring the real America, but in an armed conflict with the government, President Obama will not be there on the battlefield.

Also, the idea that fat out shape mostly middle aged men are going to fight the government to prevent tyranny is crazy shyt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies