U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM

335 posts, read 299,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Same thing.
I'll buy that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 3,379,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Romney once again was the lesser of two evils.. I didn't support his firearms position, but Obama has made his position well known as well and I don't like it either.. The reason I voted Romney is because I cannot support Obamas domestic or foreign policy positions.. My vote had nothing to do with firearms or the 2nd ammendment.
I'm not sure if either one had a good foreign policy but Obama's domestic policy stinks.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,772,505 times
BTW for the noobs there is already Federal Gun Registration, Permitting and Strict Control for ASSAULT WEAPONS.

99.999% of people in this country can't or don't own an Assault Weapon.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM

34,678 posts, read 20,961,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Why was it ok for Romney to sign an assault weapons ban for Massachusetts? But if a democrat did it, they would be vilified?
Romney was just as much of an idiot as any Democrat that would do so. Actually worse, he was smart enough to know better. Restricting the rights of the law abiding does nothing to stop criminals. In fact it makes a criminal's job safer. Gun Control-like OSHA for the law breaking.

Not that Romney matters...in case anyone forgot...he lost the election. This was another bad election year...a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-15-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM

402 posts, read 187,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Romney once again was the lesser of two evils.. I didn't support his firearms position, but Obama has made his position well known as well and I don't like it either.. The reason I voted Romney is because I cannot support Obamas domestic or foreign policy positions.. My vote had nothing to do with firearms or the 2nd ammendment.
My support of him in the 'realm' of gun rights is more focused on the powers of appointment in the judiciary. The people Obama has put in are hostile to the fundamental principles of this nation and now Obama can be counted on to nominate hundreds more federal Appellate and District judges and 2 or more Supreme Court Justices.

The republic will be lucky to survive.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
BTW for the noobs there is already Federal Gun Registration, Permitting and Strict Control for ASSAULT WEAPONS.

99.999% of people in this country can't or don't own an Assault Weapon.
It is not good to employ an invented term (Assault Weapon) and use it to describe weapons that actually exist and already have a regulatory scheme controlling them (Assault Rifles).

You are doing the anti-gunners bidding.
"Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons."

Josh Sugarmann, Assault Weapons and Accessories in America, 1988

Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
It is not good to employ an invented term (Assault Weapon) and use it to describe weapons that actually exist and already have a regulatory scheme controlling them (Assault Rifles).

You are doing the anti-gunners bidding.
"Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons."

Josh Sugarmann, Assault Weapons and Accessories in America, 1988
My post is exactly correct. Reread it again in the context of your post. BTW everything man made is invented.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,347,170 times
i said that numerous times during the campaign and romney people said i was making it up and didnt know what i was talking about.

romney has done more to control your firearms then obama

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
My post is exactly correct. Reread it again in the context of your post. BTW everything man made is invented.
No, I had it correct the first time. For you to say that "assault weapons" are covered by NFA-34 as Title II arms and restricted from the general population is incorrect.

Federally, 'assault weapons' do not exist. The law that defined what an 'assault weapon' was is gone.

That legal definition, when in effect, only covered semi-automatic, medium caliber, able to receive detachable magazine firearms . . . Since now, no such definition exists those guns are no different than any other rifle in civilian hands.

OTOH, full auto / select-fire assault rifles do exist in law (NFA-34) and firearms capable of semi-automatic fire are specifically excluded from those regulations.

So, my admonition stands and my use of "invented" was in reference to "assault weapon" being invented to serve a political agenda by being easily confused with "assault rifle" / "machine gun". Sugarman's statement lays it out quite well and you are perpetuating the deception he sought to create and sustain.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
No, I had it correct the first time. For you to say that "assault weapons" are covered by NFA-34 as Title II arms and restricted from the general population is incorrect.

Federally, 'assault weapons' do not exist. The law that defined what an 'assault weapon' was is gone.

That legal definition, when in effect, only covered semi-automatic, medium caliber, able to receive detachable magazine firearms . . . Since now, no such definition exists those guns are no different than any other rifle in civilian hands.

OTOH, full auto / select-fire assault rifles do exist in law (NFA-34) and firearms capable of semi-automatic fire are specifically excluded from those regulations.

So, my admonition stands.
Question what is an Assault Weapon? A fully automatic and or selective fire rifle and or gun used strictly for military purposes. Are they strictly federally controlled? Yes

Drop your semantics games, get off your high horse and save it for those I was addressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies