Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

So say the people on the ground, especially those involved with programs like the vote monitors, trained with US funds, blowing the whistle on the last elections in Dec.

Bush program helped lay the groundwork in Egypt - The Boston Globe

Bush program helped lay the groundwork in Egypt

Quote:
When Obama took office, his administration halved the amount of money available for democracy funding in Egypt, to $20 million in 2008, and allowed Egypt to have a veto again over some funds.

But many activists said Bush deserves the credit. “As a social scientist and an activist, I have to be honest, the Bush administration did more for what is happening in Egypt now,’’ Ibrahim said.
Yeah, he sure did. He laid the foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So say the people on the ground, especially those involved with programs like the vote monitors, trained with US funds, blowing the whistle on the last elections in Dec.

Bush program helped lay the groundwork in Egypt - The Boston Globe

Bush program helped lay the groundwork in Egypt

Yeah, he sure did. He laid the foundation.
"When Obama took office, his administration halved the amount of money available for democracy funding in Egypt, to $20 million in 2008"

Pretty neat trick considering he didn't take office 'til 2009. No need for facts when the sole object of the post is to bash Obama, eh?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"When Obama took office, his administration halved the amount of money available for democracy funding in Egypt, to $20 million in 2008"

Pretty neat trick considering he didn't take office 'til 2009. No need for facts when the sole object of the post is to bash Obama, eh?
Democracy funding in Egypt? SO why does everybody think I am crazy when I say that the US was behind all this. It seems pretty obvious to me.

What is really hilarious is that when all this is over, the US is going to find out that they have opened a can of worms.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Quote:
When Obama took office, his administration halved the amount of money available for democracy funding in Egypt, to $20 million in 2008, and allowed Egypt to have a veto again over some funds.
Obviously a typo - are you actually going to deny obama did not CUT funding for democracy programs in Egypt?

This better for you - or will you come with another excuse?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_815731.html

Obama Administration Cut Funding To Promote Democracy In Egypt, Disappointing Human Rights Activists

Quote:
In its first year, the Obama administration cut funding for democracy and governance programming in Egypt by more than half, from $50 million in 2008 to $20 million in 2009 (Congress later appropriated another $5 million). The level of funding for civil society programs and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) was cut disproportionately, from $32 million to only $7 million.
This was common knowledge...for all those that pay attention to what their government is doing.

Here's one from last year - an AP article.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/obama-cu...by-50-1.284490

Quote:
Obama cuts funds to promote democracy in Egypt by 50%
Some say shift could affect everything from anti-corruption programs to the monitoring of elections.
By The Associated Press
You really didn't know about this?

Yes, our democracy loving president was on top of things a year ago, undermining the movement.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Whatever helps folks sleep at night, i guess..........

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I just have to laugh at threads like this. So predictable. Republicans = good, Democrats = bad. That's all you need to know. No need to actually read it.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 AM

401 posts, read 473,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I just have to laugh at threads like this. So predictable. Republicans = good, Democrats = bad. That's all you need to know. No need to actually read it.
Thanks for the heads up. My eyes are getting heavy. I will save my energy.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,075 times
Weren't you posting threads just last week about how horrendous the Egypt situation would turn out?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
I have to freaking laugh to, come on people. Does not freaking matter who has laid the groundwork, look at the people, to me they all laid a pretty damn good groundwork, don't you think. Bush, Obama, some may say Clinton, bologna, the egyptian people have laid the groundwork, and intened to see the groundwork finish. If you lived as these people have, surpressed, with no freedom, lack of anything of decency, or with a lack of respect, how would you feel. This is something that has been building, but building withint the egyptian people, people say we have lost our freedom's Bull, go to Iran, go to Egypt, go to iraq, live there, expereince what these people experience every day of their lives. Come back and tell me just how we have lost our freedoms.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obviously a typo - are you actually going to deny obama did not CUT funding for democracy programs in Egypt?
And?

WHAT's the problem?

You righties allege you're for less government/less spending.

When Obama cuts spending and government interference in other countries all of a sudden the less government/less spending NeoConfuse mantra goes out the window, eh?

Just another example of typical NeoConfused hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies