Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these would reduce the number of gun deaths in America?
Strengthening gun control laws 23 32.86%
Increasing the number of Americans carrying guns 20 28.57%
Neither 21 30.00%
Don't know 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok

More effectively dealing with severe mental illnesses.

Are conservatives willing to pay for that? Or would they say it's up to the individual to pay for his own diagnosis and treatment?

Sure I think there's a good case to be made that treatment of serious mental illness is a legit gov't function, same as epidemics. It's the same principle as with public (gov't) provision of fire-fighting. If your neighbor decides not to buy fire protection and his house catches on fire, the fire could spread to your house, then from yours to another, and so on.

The real issue is not whether conservatives would be willing to pay, but whether the psychiactric profession would be able/willing to do this without mucking it up. My favorite example always re psychiatry: until not all that long ago, homosexuality was listed as a disorder in the official diagnostic manual (DSM); now, homophobia is listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
To answer the poll question, I would have to have some specifics on what is meant by 'strengthening gun laws.' If it is a Japan-style virtual ban on all guns in civilian hands, I think it could be effective. Of course it would have to be accompanied by a draconian enforcement program that could make the Drug War look like a day in the park. But I think it could reduce the rate of death by firearms.

If it's a half-measure, like say limiting magazines to no more than 10 rounds, it's useless; it does nothing other than annoy law-abiding gun owners (which I often suspect is part of the motiviation for anti-gun crusaders).

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I am sorry but this poll is ridiculous. The only way to reduce gun death is to get rid of all guns which solves absolutely nothing because people will continue to kill each other and themselves no matter of what.

Reducing gun death? What about other death increase as a result?

The proper questions to ask would be how we can reduce the number of murder, how we can reduce number of sucide or how we can reduce crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies