Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times

Advertisements

I do not think gun reform will 100% repair the human condition, but I think it will reduce the amount/damage of spree killing. Taking on reform similar to other countries. . and one change.

1) Gun license required, which requires background check, criminal check, psychology check. carrying a gun without the license is a mandatory 10 year federal sentence that must be served on top of any other gun charge.
2)All gun purchases must be registered to the gun license.
3)You may own no more than three guns
4)Ownership of a firearm under that license makes you a full accomplice to its use for spree killings (greater than 4 one location).
1 - if the gun is stolen, and used in a spree killing
2 - if the gun is given to friend/family (through your knowledge or without it) and used in a spree killing
3 - If the gun is sold, and the purchase was not transferred per the required gun transfer procedure (license).

You are treated as a full accomplice and subjected to federal penalties up to but excluding the death penalty. I would assume life in prison without parole.

Have a gun, fine. But you better f'n have it secured. . .or we will walk past the killers dead body and hang you up for life instead.

5) Ammo must be registered for the license. Use macro-prediction programs (aka Netflix) to track and audit suspicious buying behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I guess you are trying to control the tools of evil which does not work. Look what happened when drinking was banned and the war on drugs. So if you are trying to fight evil should you not go after the failure in our culture to value life?

Is it really necessary to have abortion or worse yet, late term abortion? Is that not taking the life of the most innocent in society?

Is it really necessary for Hollywood to pump out a never ending trail of very violent movies and video games? Did we not learn anything from the Batman movie killer? Is it necessary for certain groups to constantly attack the social norms that made this a great country? Religion, family, traditional values? Are these attacks for the good of the country and society or part of the problem with violence in America?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Modest? LOL.

Quote:
1) Gun license required, which requires background check, criminal check, psychology check. carrying a gun without the license is a mandatory 10 year federal sentence that must be served on top of any other gun charge.
Conn. has some very strict gun control laws to begin with and presumably the mother would have passed this requirement so this would not have prevented this tragedy.

Quote:
Would not have prevented this tragedy.

Quote:
4)Ownership of a firearm under that license makes you a full accomplice to its use for spree killings (greater than 4 one location).
You're going to make the victim of a crime the criminal? If someone broke into your home, drinks a bottle of vodka from your liquor cabinet and then proceeds to steal the keys from your car and mows down 20 kids waiting at a bus stop are you responsible for that?

About the only thing your suggestions would have done to prevent this tragedy is dissuade the mother from buying weapons in the first place which is really what you want isn't it?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I do not think gun reform will 100% repair the human condition, but I think it will reduce the amount/damage of spree killing. Taking on reform similar to other countries. . and one change.

2 - if the gun is given to friend/family (through your knowledge or without it) and used in a spree killing
3 - If the gun is sold, and the purchase was not transferred per the required gun transfer procedure (license).

You are treated as a full accomplice and subjected to federal penalties up to but excluding the death penalty. I would assume life in prison without parole.

Have a gun, fine. But you better f'n have it secured. . .or we will walk past the killers dead body and hang you up for life instead.

5) Ammo must be registered for the license. Use macro-prediction programs (aka Netflix) to track and audit suspicious buying behavior.
Thank you for posting and attempting a desperately needed dialog. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears and petrified minds programmed for life to accept and applaud a savage society saturated with killing machines for all. It is a national insanity, a disease so deeply embedded that millions upon millions will shout at the top of their lungs that there is and can be no cure.

I like your ideas, but I would call them modest because they don't go far enough. I can't imagine why we would limit ownership culpability to more than 4 killings in one location. There should be 100% culpability for any and all killings in any and all locations.

And, since the vast majority of Americans outside of police and military have no need whatsoever for firearms of any sort, individual license distribution should be severely limited....ranchers that live in middle of nowhere, for example. Ex-cops with impeccable records, etc. All thoroughly back-grounded and tested.

Our ultimate goal....that we must keep in focus....is the complete elimination of quick and easy killing machines from society.

Our national history has created a monster that now threatens the lives of every single one of us every day.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 12-16-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
What good does it do to limit people to 3 guns? What possible good??? A spree killer only needs one gun. He doesn't even need a high capacity magazines, just several mags, and put in the practice to quickly reload.

Suppose somebody just got kicked to death. And somebody else gets up and says, "OK, that's it. From now on, only three pair of shoes per person." That would make just about as much sense.

Helllooooo!

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Modest? LOL.

Conn. has some very strict gun control laws to begin with and presumably the mother would have passed this requirement so this would not have prevented this tragedy.

Would not have prevented this tragedy.

You're going to make the victim of a crime the criminal? If someone broke into your home, drinks a bottle of vodka from your liquor cabinet and then proceeds to steal the keys from your car and mows down 20 kids waiting at a bus stop are you responsible for that?

About the only thing your suggestions would have done to prevent this tragedy is dissuade the mother from buying weapons in the first place which is really what you want isn't it?
You're damn right, I do!!

Only the coldest and most callous would dare to suggest that the real scenario just played out is preferable.

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times

Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Some good ideas, but I too wouldn't just limit it to spree killers, but to firearm felonies.

I read a study from the Department of Justice in which they asked prisoners who had been convicted of firearm felonies how they obtained their weapons. The vast majority were obtained from family members, friends, acquaintances, the street, and other informal networks.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

The US Constitution, does not allow it.

The US Constitution is the chains that bind the government from removing or restricting our Bill of Rights.

The 2nd amendment, is the most unconstitutionally restricted and altered amendment, of them all and you want more?

Yes, stomp on our individual liberty some more and see what you get!

We are no longer a free nation. Or have you not noticed?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
making criminals out of inocent citizens with a bunch of new laws is what you meant to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies