Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It does appear that all the pieces are falling into place for a national response to the Newtown School shootings. Those of us who have been long term, rational supporters of the 2nd amendment need to show empathy for the numerous victims of the rash of recent mass killings and come to the negotiation table with new ideas and positive solutions to the issue instead of parroting the old predictable denials that have stonewalled all past efforts by society to bring about a rational debate on the subject of gun control.
Well said. Quite frankly, if the supporters cannot rationally debate solutions involving more control, there will be enough votes without them, and they will dislike the resulting legislation far more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,108,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Well said. Quite frankly, if the supporters cannot rationally debate solutions involving more control, there will be enough votes without them, and they will dislike the resulting legislation far more.
That is my fear. Instead of trying to come up with common sense regulations, these people are going to stupidly deny ANY change, and those of us, who are responsible gun owners, are going to get the short end of the stick.

You saw the arguments I got by simply suggesting that owners should be held responsible for their guns.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That is my fear. Instead of trying to come up with common sense regulations, these people are going to stupidly deny ANY change, and those of us, who are responsible gun owners, are going to get the short end of the stick.

You saw the arguments I got by simply suggesting that owners should be held responsible for their guns.
I don't fear that, as I do think there are enough sane representatives in DC, that their wing nut constituents will not impact the debate. They will simply be ignored.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM

13,290 posts, read 9,808,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
In other words, bend over and hope the criminals decide to be nice to us.

What you're describing is the most efficient way to make burglary a substantially more lucrative and risk free career choice than it currently is.

Which only hurts your argument. Those same criminals don't immediately become murderers because of lax gun laws.
No burglary is "risk free". There are plenty of ways to alarm, survey, and otherwise protect your house. Damn, you can sit at work now and watch your living room on your computer, without anybody who's in the house knowing it.

I stand by the fact that I think there are more shootings when everyone HAS to bring a gun to a simple robbery. I think most robbers would prefer not to engage the homeowner at all, they want your stuff, not you. When you pull a gun, the other guy also has to pull a gun.

We've made a society where everyone has to have a gun, because everyone is presumed to have a gun.

I, personally, don't care about the stuff enough for anyone to lose their life over it. If someone is coming to get me with pure murderous intent, then I guess I'm in trouble. But I really don't want to live my life worried about that, so I don't. And there have been 3 kids being shot by in house weapons that were "locked away" in my city in the past week, so keeping a gun seems to be a bigger risk than someone breaking in, IMO.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,368,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ok again, WHAT COMMON SENSE REGULATIONS do you think criminals are going to follow regarding guns, that they dont follow now? its not just about the guns, its about YOUR FREEDOMS. its about you becoming a subject instead of a citizen.

Yuppppppppppp you right, i would like to know myself, just what might work. However are we guaranteed that we will never experience something as this tragedy again.

Taking guns away, is not the answer, because yes there will be a black market then, and crimianls themselves, really think that they can't get access to guns, really now"

In a perfect world, we would not have thugs, and rapists, and murderers, etc, but we do, and the problem seems to be esclating. Crimes are much more grander, and more people are getting killed. I too would love to see a solution, but truthfully don't think that tougher guns laws will be the answer, that people are hoping that it will be.

We should be tougher on the criminals, and maybe those seeking to buy a gun, wish i had the answers, hate for something as this to happen again.

I am crying right now, listening to one of the Mom's crying remembering her little girl and how she won't be coming home for Christmas. We do need solutions, but what. And people need to stop turning their backs on those who seem pecular, or have a personality disorder.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,842,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No burglary is "risk free". There are plenty of ways to alarm, survey, and otherwise protect your house. Damn, you can sit at work now and watch your living room on your computer, without anybody who's in the house knowing it.

I stand by the fact that I think there are more shootings when everyone HAS to bring a gun to a simple robbery. I think most robbers would prefer not to engage the homeowner at all, they want your stuff, not you. When you pull a gun, the other guy also has to pull a gun.
And it is your contention that if burglary requires a gun, every single burglar is going to continue burglarizing, at a substantially higher risk of both physical and legal harm, with a gun?

I don't buy it.

"Offenders were unarmed in 61 percent of the violent household burglaries that occurred between 2003 and 2007. In 12 percent of violent household burglaries the offender possessed a firearm. About 23 percent of these firearm-related burglaries were committed by a stranger."

Household Members Experienced Violence in About Seven Percent of Household Burglaries From 2003 Through 2007

That's 12 percent of violent burglaries. Most burglaries are not violent, and it stands to reason that firearm use is over-represented in violent burglaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
We've made a society where everyone has to have a gun, because everyone is presumed to have a gun.

I, personally, don't care about the stuff enough for anyone to lose their life over it. If someone is coming to get me with pure murderous intent, then I guess I'm in trouble. But I really don't want to live my life worried about that, so I don't. And there have been 3 kids being shot by in house weapons that were "locked away" in my city in the past week, so keeping a gun seems to be a bigger risk than someone breaking in, IMO.
Well apparently those guns were not locked away.

Those people should be held liable for being stupid. Nothing to do with me and/or any gun I may own.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,006,290 times
The genie is out of the bottle, 300 million guns are in circulation amongst the US civilian population. We've made our bed, we have to lie in it. I don't have a gun because I personally believe the risks of having one in the home outweigh the risks of not having one, at least where I live. But I can't, in good conscience, support a situation where law abiding people who's situations and/or beliefs are different than mine can't purchase a weapon to protect themselves in a gun-infested society.

I'm not sure what gun regulation would have stopped this most recent tragedy. The guns and ammunition were not purchased by the unstable gunman, they were purchased by his mother. We could stop the sale of new weapons with magazine capacities in excess of whatever # you want, but there are tens of millions of high-capacity weapons already out there that will continue to change hands, either legally or illegally. We can expect mental health experts to identify potentially dangerous people, but we are becoming more unwilling as a society to institutionalize or otherwise force treatment on mentally ill patients who haven't (yet) committed an egregious felony.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,256,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I don't fear that, as I do think there are enough sane representatives in DC, that their wing nut constituents will not impact the debate. They will simply be ignored.
If you believe that the representatives in DC are sane or logical or in any way competent or ethical you are about as delusional as you could possibly be.
Do you even understand what the real issue is?
The real issue is that the wealthy want to take the guns from the common people.
You will never see legislation that restricts those with power and influence from owning and carrying guns, only common people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies