U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be an assault rifle ban?
Yes 51 42.15%
No 70 57.85%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:44 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,624,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have tried to push for gun control [to no avail] but there are no blacks in the Senate to push for it in the upper house. That is why it is very important to have diversity in the government.
That is NOT the definition of diversity my friend. If anything that is the promotion of segregation and cliquishness.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM

12,387 posts, read 12,153,834 times
Quote:
Here comes the legislation. Do you agree or disagree?

Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress
It's a start but it won't be enough imho....

Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM

735 posts, read 855,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I was responding to your claim that the national media is not saying anything about the crime problem in Chicago. They obviously are.

As for legislation, you can look that up on your own, I'm sure.
I have looked it up, and there wasn't any legislation enacted, nor did any congressman/woman even attempt to get any bill passed as a result of the Chicago 2012 summer violence.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

735 posts, read 855,305 times
Quote:
Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have tried to push for gun control [to no avail] but there are no blacks in the Senate to push for it in the upper house. That is why it is very important to have diversity in the government.
I agree, diversity across government is needed, but I'm more interested in real diversity: diversity of thought.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Actually, the criminals are killing innocent bystanders as well. Three children were killed, while playing outside. There was relatively little news coverage regarding the incident.

It appears as though violence in the ghetto is normalized and expected, therefore, there's no need for any outrage, as long as it doesn't spill over into the desirable non black areas. For this reason, I can't take the gun control debate seriously.
I agree. The same goes on here in Austin. When it occurs on 6th Street (desirable tourist area) then it gets headline press otherwise it's a small blurb buried.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
It's a start but it won't be enough imho....
Only a complete ban will suffice ?

Will that really put an end to the violence ?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,729,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Perhaps if they were extraordinarily costly, his mother wouldn't have owned one either.
Ahh so your goal is not prevent incidents like this but instead to deny people their constitutional right through back door legislation.

If you want to address lets get right down to it and call for constitutional amendment.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 PM

9,565 posts, read 7,609,806 times
Quote:
Actually, the criminals are killing innocent bystanders as well. Three children were killed, while playing outside. There was relatively little news coverage regarding the incident.

It appears as though violence in the ghetto is normalized and expected, therefore, there's no need for any outrage, as long as it doesn't spill over into the desirable non black areas. For this reason, I can't take the gun control debate seriously.
The thing is, unfortunately, people can't relate to what goes on in the hood. It might as well be happening on a different planet - and you're right, it is normalized and expected, and nobody gives much credence to any efforts to control it, although I know there's lots of movement by moms in those neighborhoods especially to get something done.

And I totally agree that the 3 children killed playing outside deserve just as much coverage as the 20. But they won't, because people can't relate the way they can to a situation that they as parents find themselves in everyday - that of sending their kids of to a safe school in a safe neighborhood.

To that end, unfair as it may be, this incident may just be the proverbial straw that provokes serious action against this gun culture, either in the hood or out.

People have had enough.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ahh so your goal is not prevent incidents like this but instead to deny people their constitutional right through back door legislation.

If you want to address lets get right down to it and call for constitutional amendment.
Anti-gun are more concerned with the removal of the guns. That is their goal.
The violence is secondary. The motive is not important as you can see since the police don't even know.

"Guns kill people so get rid of all the guns"

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,243,713 times
Quote:
I have looked it up, and there wasn't any legislation enacted, nor did any congressman/woman even attempt to get any bill passed as a result of the Chicago 2012 summer violence.
Well, I guess the people of Chicago don't care enough to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies