Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be an assault rifle ban?
Yes 51 42.15%
No 70 57.85%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:52 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The rest of Congress is probably cursing themselves out for letting her get there first.
9 bazillion amendments as each one trips over the other to get their version somehow merged into hers.

Knee jerk reaction at its finest hour.
Nah, these kinds of bills are designed to fail. Next time there is a mass shooting, she will say she tried to stop it in congress, but the GOP wouldn"t let her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
[SQUOTE=SHABAZZ310;27366370]Here comes the legislation. Do you agree or disagree?

Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress[/quote]

What good will it do to ban assault weapons and large clips from this point on? There are already plenty out there....and instead of using a large clip, they'll just use several small clips....it's a feeble attempt at a solution. We need a solution but, this isn't it. How come we have all this debate when a gang member uses a fully automatic weapon in a drive by? Why....because they already are banned and they always have and it obviously hasn't prevented anything from not happening. Banning assault weapons (that are only semi-automatic civilian versions of real military assault weapons), is nothing more than a symbolic gesture and a real solution needs to be a whole lot better than that.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Anti-gun are more concerned with the removal of the guns. That is their goal.
The violence is secondary. The motive is not important as you can see since the police don't even know.

"Guns kill people so get rid of all the guns"
I won't speculate on motives however naive they may be. I'm sure many of think they will make difference but other than outright confiscation and severe penalties for possession or sale of gun none of this will have any effect.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
That is NOT the definition of diversity my friend. If anything that is the promotion of segregation and cliquishness.
So what is your definition of diversity my friend? I always thought diversity was having a group with different experiences, perspectives, and varying ideas [including racial make ups]. You know the opposite of homogeneous...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I agree, diversity across government is needed, but I'm more interested in real diversity: diversity of thought.
I agree, but to be practical you can't have one without the other. The American perspective varies greatly depending on the groups you speak with...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM

734 posts, read 932,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The thing is, unfortunately, people can't relate to what goes on in the hood. It might as well be happening on a different planet - and you're right, it is normalized and expected, and nobody gives much credence to any efforts to control it, although I know there's lots of movement by moms in those neighborhoods especially to get something done.

And I totally agree that the 3 children killed playing outside deserve just as much coverage as the 20. But they won't, because people can't relate the way they can to a situation that they as parents find themselves in everyday - that of sending their kids of to a safe school in a safe neighborhood.

To that end, unfair as it may be, this incident may just be the proverbial straw that provokes serious action against this gun culture, either in the hood or out.

People have had enough.
The normalization of violence throughout impoverished communities is especially troubling.

In truth, mothers from poor communities deserve to have the same assurances as moms from well off communities. At the end of the day, we all want to feel comfortable sending our children to school, without the threat of harm.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Only a complete ban will suffice ?

Will that really put an end to the violence ?
That's kind of a silly question. Nothing will put an end to violence completely. But not having access to deadly weaponry will decrease the collateral damage when there is violence... common sense...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
But not having access to deadly weaponry will decrease the collateral damage when there is violence... common sense...
Common sense is guns are not the only weapons available. As I pointed out in another thread 19 men armed with nothing more than box cutters killed almost 3,000 people which was a remarkably low number considering the circumstances.

If you want a to kill a lot of people you only need one thing, the will to do it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

734 posts, read 932,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I agree, but to be practical you can't have one without the other. The American perspective varies greatly depending on the groups you speak with...
If we focus on color, and not the person's ideology, we will have nothing more than a plethora of people from various races, all spewing the same rhetoric. Obama is a case in point. Unfortunately, many people believed that he would stop the senseless wars, whereby reducing the nation's deficit, but he hasn't kept any of his "promises." He may have brown skin, but he is nothing more than a puppet, just like his predecessors...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

If you want a to kill a lot of people you only need one thing, the will to do it.
I think the means to do it are pretty necessary too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies