Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times

Advertisements

The fact that the shooter didn't have to get "up close and personal" with a weapon like a knife is the reason we have 20 dead children in Newtown. He just sprayed a classroom of kids. If he had a knife, he could have been subdued by the faculty. The faculty had no chance with the weapons he had on hand.

As for the above poster... how often do you hear about a "School Knifing" claiming the lives of multiple children? No, I think it is "school shooting" that seems to happen often. According to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-r..._b_139879.html (which has data from 2008):

We've managed to kill 1M Americans domestically over 30 years with guns.

That's not a "random occurrence." I bet I could find numbers on people that have died due to sickness from unpasteurized dairy products... yet we ban that in the United States.

Last edited by dspguy; 12-17-2012 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree, however the option of rehab in the prison system needs to be available to those who actually do want to change.

by the way, there is a form of gun control i do adhere to, usually the weaver stance as it give the most stable platform when shooting. true gun control is how many can you get in the ten ring.
I really don't agree with that. I'm not talking about drug rehab, though, I'm talking about the other rehabilitation efforts, like behavior modification classes and anger management and the like.
You committed a crime and jail is your punishment. Usually punishment modifies behavior more than a good talking to does. And we can quit the 3 movies per day and computer time and all that. It doesn't make people not want to come back.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up... as I said, I "may have" (was assuming probably) gotten those terms incorrect. I've only shot a gun ONCE in my life, at a range with some kind of pistols & small shotguns. Couldn't even tell you what kinds, but it was fun for a day's activity.

I already told you what I want... sorry if that doesn't meet your stereotypes or expectations, but I have no desire to take your precious guns.

I know very little about homebrewing beer or raising goats, and don't want to abolish those either. Do you think everything you don't understand should be illegal? Now if you're just talking about CONTROL, I do support the current regulations as they stand - not even sure of the specifics in CA, but identification requirements, waiting periods, etc, work fine for me. TBH, this isn't an issue I think about very often, since very few people I know are into the whole gun culture.

an assault rifle has nothing to do with the cosmetic looks of a rifle and everything to do with the function of a rifle, only the trigger group makes or breaks what is an assault rifle.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewallace View Post
If you do not support stronger and better gun control, what the heck to you support?
Carrying a baby until it's born. What about all of those murders?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,293,603 times
Quote:
If you do not support stronger and better gun control, what the heck to you support?
I believe in gun control and many have stated my beliefs. What is your beliefs?
You register everthing else, to vote, to drive your car, to get ID....so?
You see you are learning an important thing about conservatives they are insane.

Look at the answers they gave with self righteous conviction. It is all bs.

All that rhetoric is for nothing. The phrase the right to bear arms is basically the right to bear weapons.

Now these idiots are saying if a person is a law abiding citizen and has the right heart, then the weapon isn't the problem.

But of course this is an insane position to take.

Everyone gets that certain weapons are so dangerous that we don't want anyone to have them except the military and to be kept as far away from civilians as possible.

Yet, in their arguments you don't detect a hint of the idea that a weapon is too dangerous to own, this is where the debate is for sane people.

What weapons are too dangerous to own and why.

This is the reality based discussion.

Because they know, once you have to discuss why you can own this weapon and not that weapon, they have to explain why they want specific kinds of weapons, and once you get to that point, they have lost, because that is when the paranoid, I'm afraid, and urban criminals are going to kill me stuff comes to the fore.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 19,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Depends on what you mean by gun control, that phrase covers a very broad spectrum. Registration is fine, but the wild eyed, crazy for ink politicians will never stop at that.
I don't own any guns, but believe in the constitution. If only our president did....
You need to thank someone for the President believing in America and its law.
Not making the law fit your ideology. I am not asking you to believe in mine.
I am asking you to be reasonable and protect the people, they cannot protect themselves from military guns. We send our young men and train them in how to use a gun, even sleep with it, then we bring them home////// it is not used for shooting birds, but targets that shoot back... henceforth, you got what we created as a nation.
Arizona has volunteers patrolling their schools. How long will it be before one of the untrained, untested, (they would be full time if qualified) to start killing a parent because he thought he saw something? The kids will be there and be part of the killing field. Protection is in your mind!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
"If you don't believe in gun control, what do you believe in?"

God, 2nd Amendment, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
I believe, that as free people we need not ask anyones permission to have the means, at hand, to defend ourselves, our loved ones, and our country, from those who wish to do us harm. This is not just a right, it certainly is no privilege to be granted by a government. It is a DUTY. Restricting our right to arms under the guise of protecting us?
I say, those that expect others to protect them at all times are cowards. As are those who would rather live on their knees than die on their feet. This country was founded on the principal that We the People have a duty to keep and be proficient with, arms suitable for defense of the peviously stated things.
For us to do less, or allow our right to arms be taken from us, defacates on the memory of those who have fought, and died, to protect our freedom. That incudes LEOs who have died in the line of Duty, soldiers who have and are doing the same as we speak, and our forebears who bled to give us the freedom so many seem willing to cast aside in the name of "public safety". That thought makes my skin crawl.
Remember this....those without swords can still die upon them. Thus...not being able to shoot back at those shooting at you.....does that REALLY make you feel safer?

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,270 times
Quote:
I belief in the inate brilliance of the Founders, the system of government they set up (and which we, in 200 years, have thoroughly perverted), as well as:

Truth
Justice
&
The American Way

That excludes about 95% of what Liberalism/Progressivism believes in.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
i "believe in" having informed, rational discourse, preferably by means of coherent, fully-formed sentences. And i "believe in" actual solutions to problems, not just random restrictions in order to satisfy the urge to do something.
this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies